Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#72431 - 01/06/03 11:01 PM New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi everyone!

I haven't been around much lately because I'm trying to adapt to my new life here in the DC area, it's going well so far!! I wanted to report that I went to a somewhat new, I think, Spanish restaurant in Bethesda, MD on Saturday night and it was WONDERFUL!! The ambiance was good and the food was great! If anyone's in the area, you should definitely get there--it's called Jaleo and it's 1 block from Wisconsin Ave, I don't know the exact address, but there are a bunch of other restaurants there too...

Buen provecho!

-GG

#72432 - 01/07/03 04:07 PM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
Guapetona Offline

GG:

glad to see u have found one of my faves in dc wink wink ! jaleo is fantastic..the chef is spanish and has studied under ferran adria in rosas, catalunya. the happy hour is really good on weekdays.

i don't know if u've visited other spanish restaurants in dc..but here are a few others where the food has been excellent.
andalucia
cafe atlantico
taberna del alabardero
las tapas
tio pepe

if u like flamenco..dc has a budding scene and groups of dancers will tour different bars and restaurants.
dc flamenco

i love to see them dance when i can..unfortunately my murciano boyfriend doesn't like it as much as i do frown !

maybe we can all get a group together for sangria, tapitas and see some flamenco in dc!!

have fun laugh

liz

#72433 - 01/07/03 08:41 PM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
Thanks Guapetona for your advice and the websites. I visit Washington often.

gsobotta

#72434 - 01/08/03 12:11 PM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
Xylac Offline

Loc: Wash. DC
I love Jaleo also !

Jaleo got a newsletter also:
Jaleo.UM.A.2868.1752@connect.fishbowl.com (Jaleo)
They just opened up a new one also,this time Turkish:
"Roberto Alvarez, Rob Wilder and Jose Andres, owners of JALEO, are very pleased to present to you a totally new restaurant...

ZAYTINYA (pronounced Say-teen-yah), derived from the Turkish word for olive oil, explores the spirit and coastal cuisine of Greece, Turkey, and Lebanon.

Over the past nine years, we have come to learn how much diners appreciate the fun, variety and value of tapas-style dining. These small plates create a great experience at all times of the day whether at lunch, pre-theatre, pre-game, dinner or late night snacking. Like Jaleo, Zaytinya delivers this dynamic experience with the concept of Mezzes.

Mezze, Mezedes or Mezza, are common names for a small offering of almost any savory dish, from simple to complex.

Complementing the Mezze is an exciting and unique list of quality wines and other beverages from the Eastern Mediterranean.

Zaytinya is located at:
Edison Place - 701 9th Street, NW (corner of 9th & G Street)
Washington, DC
(202) 638-0800"

I got an email coupon from them.
============
Trader Joe (in Virginia only) they have a great selection of Spanish wine for a great price.

#72435 - 01/08/03 12:24 PM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
Xylac Offline

forgot:
Zaytinya was reviewed in Washington Post Magazine about 2 weeks ago,VERY GOOD !
(what else ? :-) after Jaleo cannot be any bad experience :-)...I LOVE that place ! :-))

BTW.Jaleo got Cigalas a la Plancha

#72436 - 01/08/03 01:23 PM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
jmcarr Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I believe that the JALEO in Bethesda is owned by the same people who own the JALEO down by MCI Center, no? confused

jmc

#72437 - 01/08/03 07:33 PM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
Xylac Offline

jmc,

Quote:
I believe that the JALEO in Bethesda is owned by the same people who own the JALEO down by MCI Center, no?
Yes !

#72438 - 01/08/03 08:08 PM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
GranadaGirl Offline

This is great! I think it would be a fabulous idea for a group of us to get together for tapas y flamenco. Anyone else interested??

-GG

#72439 - 01/09/03 07:31 PM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
Xylac Offline

GG

would be great,for me after February 24th..I'll be in Europe for a while.
(Spain only 4 days :-(...Madrid only)

#72440 - 01/11/03 07:43 PM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
GranadaGirl Offline

How about we shoot for the 1st or 8th of March? I'll put a new posting up for this...

-GG

#72441 - 01/16/03 02:07 PM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
David K Offline

Hi All, I'm just starting to visit this board again after a long while. (Keep up the good work MM). Anyhoo, I live in DC with my madrileña fiance and we'd love to get together with others in the area interested in Madrid.

We've been to Jaleo in Bethesda once; I liked it, Maria was unimpressed (she sent the patatas bravas back to the kitchen because they had alioli (sp?) sauce on top instead of just bravas sauce eek ).

We both really liked Andalucia de Bethesda. Unfortunately, it's recently closed. But I believe the "original" Andalucia de Rockville is still open. Never been there.

In Adams-Morgan there is the "Churreria Madrid"; Maria says dinner there is terrible, but they do have real churros in the morning!

Also in Adams-Morgan is "El Rincon Español"; we were there about 3 years ago, and Maria says there was nothing really "Spanish" about it, neither the cooking, the decor, nor the people working there (even though their sign has the colors of the Spanish flag). I think now it's a restaurant during the day/evening and they turn it into a club at night.

#72442 - 01/16/03 09:04 PM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
GranadaGirl Offline

Hey David!

Thanks for the info. I've started a new thread on this, but I think there are 3 or 4 of us so far that are interested. I'll be away this weekend, but on Tuesday I'll check it out again and try to organize everyone!

-Hasta pronto!

-GG

#72443 - 01/18/03 03:21 AM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
Xylac Offline

Tuesday, January 28 &
Wednesday, January 29, 8pm
Ballet Flamenco Sara Baras

Friday, January 31 &
Saturday February 1, 8pm
Farruquito & Juana Amaya

Friday, February 7, 8pm
Multiple Grammy Winner
Tomatito

Lisner Auditorium
http://www.gwu.edu/~lisner/

“ ... Farruquito is already one of the great flamenco dancers of this new century….he is nothing less than sensational…” The New York Times

#72444 - 01/18/03 03:23 AM Re: New (?) Spanish Restaurant in DC Area!
Xylac Offline

Quote:
How about we shoot for the 1st or 8th of March? I'll put a new posting up for this...

-GG

GG,

I'll let you know,I will be back on February 24th.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments