Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#71889 - 08/25/02 08:32 PM apartment hunting in Tarragona
juli Offline

Loc: Tarragona
Hey all,
After surfing other postings, I feel as if I'm going to be living in the boon docks! Anyone got any info on living, finding apartments and housemates in Tarragona? I'll be studying there in October, arriving the 1st, beginning studies on the 15th, at Univ. Rovira i Virgili.

Not that I mind winging it, but it's a little unnerving to know that I will touch ground in a country I know, but have nowhere to lay my head. I'm sure everyone can relate to that. Finding online classifieds, and arranging this from afar has been frustrating. The Residencias are an option, but I don't prefer it. Any ideas?

Jill

#71890 - 08/26/02 04:51 AM Re: apartment hunting in Tarragona
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Vols anar a Tarragona ej? It's one of my favorite cities in Spain, the centre is very nice, and you can be in Barcelona in 1 hour by train.

The first place to start looking is segundamano.es, or to start searching (in spanish) for pisos. You might want to just stay in the residencia for a month and that way you can get to know the city first.

#71891 - 08/28/02 10:06 AM Re: apartment hunting in Tarragona
juli Offline

Hey Asterault -

Thanks for the advice. segundamano.es looks like such a busy site, it takes me a minute just to get my bearings! But I'll try again.

It's nice to hear good news about Tarragona! There isn't much written up about it. I've been reading the Camara de Comercio de Tarragona, que es util, pero no me da... satisfaccion.

I have considered the residencia, but it looks like it'll cost me a month's rent to opt out. I figured it would be best to stay at a long-term hostal and begin searching pronto. I've got two weeks before my classes begin, and the classes leave my days free.

I've debated a lot about this, and come to the conclusion that there is no easy way to handle it until I get there. Is that about right?

Jill

#71892 - 08/28/02 10:54 AM Re: apartment hunting in Tarragona
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
http://www.fut.es/~ajtargna/ is the city wesbite, at the bottom there's a little "Recorregut virtual per la ciutat" which is a nice little virtual tour.

You are correct, you can't do anything until you arrive. A hostal is a fine idea, and the hostal owners usually know about renting apartments and are good sources of information for that sort of thing. Or, look in Barcelona and commute to classes, which lots of people do.

enjoy

#71893 - 09/01/02 08:47 PM Re: apartment hunting in Tarragona
juli Offline

You know, I have considered living in Barcelona instead. It will just have to wait until I arrive. I do have a friend and colleague who lives north of Barcelona, and I am hoping that she can give me a hand with things. I am finally in touch with the other overseas students, and one of them is on the same time frame as myself, arriving 2 wks in advance.

This is so exciting, it becomes all the harder to make it thru the next four weeks (as if I'm not mad busy with miniscule details, and seeing friends!). When I arrive, I am sure I'll feel differently about it.

I will check out the Tarragona website you recommended. Oh! I also found an online Catalan tutorial for students attending URV, but haven't started it yet. How's the learning curve? Do you speak some?

Here is the link for the online Catalan tutorial - http://www.intercat.gencat.es/Menu_cast.html

Saludos!

Jillita

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments