Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#71391 - 04/13/02 01:05 PM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Don the cap & gown - someone hum the Graduation March - Congrats LiM!

#71392 - 04/13/02 03:30 PM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Anyone have any comments/feedback on the proposed IRC setup LostInMadrid suggests? It looks good to me and I trust LostInMadrid's judgement.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#71393 - 04/13/02 05:15 PM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
My hosting service is getting DDoS attacked right now so my site is unaccessible (it's up, it's just that the servers are being hit by so many requests by malicious robots that no one can access it).

Anyways, wait a bit until the attack calms down if you can't see my site. Thanks for the vote of confidence MM! We should see what Fernando came up with too. Also, maybe we might want to use a different IRC server because the Hispanet's messages are all in Spanish and probably the majority of the people who use the chat applet will not understand it.

-Russ

#71394 - 04/13/02 06:13 PM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

LostInMadrid, I agree. Let's wait for Fernando's input on this. I also agree with the possibility of using a different IRC service, one that's all in English. I like the look of the chat box though. Anyone else?

Sorry to hear of your BOT Attack. Isn't that a pain in the @$$? frown

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#71395 - 04/13/02 07:03 PM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
BOTS and EVIL APPLETS??? eek eek

Will it be suitable for normal people?

Jo

#71396 - 04/13/02 09:40 PM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Please give me a couple of days and I will come with a complete document about this issue smile

I'm a bit busy by now (thanks to the "wonderful" college...) wink

Fernando

#71397 - 04/14/02 09:30 AM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
LostInMadrid Offline

More...

I was re-reading the posts (including mine) and I forgot to check out the ICQ solution I was talking about before. It's not bad. It's FREE and uses IRC but has a bit of advertising, so it's not optimal (and has these annoying lips on the side!)... The client works a hell of a lot better than the one that MM has now, though...

Try out the ICQ IRC applet here...

-Russ

#71398 - 04/17/02 12:36 PM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hey, Russ,

I just checked out that applet...Cool colors...We may have to get people turned on to this sometime to give it a good try, eh?

Wyndyl wink

P.S. I hope the other half is doing well...36+ weeks now, right?

Wyndyl smile

#71399 - 04/21/02 09:53 AM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I've tested the ICQ IRC chat box LostInMadrid suggests we consider. Problem is, once you get to the chat box, you have to choose from a myriad of available chat rooms. How will our members find each other? At least, as it is now, there's only one room and everyone is in the same one. Plus, I'd like people to come to the chat room THROUGH the message board or through other parts of MadridMan.com and not through outside sources. This helps to guarantee visitors have some interest in Spain and they're not just out to bother people.

Surely there's a place out there... and I'll look into it more myself (if LostInMadrid and Fernando don't beat me to it) this week, I hope, and hopefully come up with some other options.

I'd almost be willing to pay the $50 for the "PRIMO" chat box from jpilot.com if enough people tested it through LostInMadrid's link above. It also seems to have more space for chatting. The ICQ IRC box only showed about 4 or 5 lines at a time and with more than 2 people chatting the text can fly by unnoticed.

Saludos, MadridMan smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments