Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#71381 - 04/01/02 07:39 PM The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I want to make the proposal to found a channel in the IRC-Hispano net .

That will make easier for people to join and chat from time to time smile

It is free!

Fernando

#71382 - 04/05/02 11:46 PM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Fernando,

How does it work? Is it different from the chat room here?

Thanks!

GG

#71383 - 04/06/02 01:07 PM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
LostInMadrid Offline

Here's my thoughts on this... I think the idea is that the Java applet that MadridMan uses sorta sucks (sorry MM) and secondly even though people are online all the time, we can't seem to cross paths in the chat room.

The first issue is the Java applet. It uses IRC (internet relay chat - it's an open internet protocol for having group chats) but this particular application is locked down so you can't access their server from a nicer client, which is a shame, and it pops up another window, which is NOT NICE.

The problem with saying "let's just all use IRC" is that most people will have no idea how to do this. IRC isn't the user-friendliest system in the world. That's why you don't see it used a lot on other portals out there like Yahoo or whatnot. However, maybe we can convince MadridMan to use a more open Java IRC applet that could connect to Hispanet (an IRC server) so that the newbies could use the online chat link and the more power-users could use their normal IRC clients.

There are MANY free Java IRC applets out there. Take a look... There are more if you do a Google search and ICQ.com has an open system too. The cool thing is that most of the applets out there allow you to choose which IRC server you want to use and the channel name (obviously #MadridMan). This is much better than using a private applet/server system I think.

One thing that would encourage group chatting a bit more, I think, would be a link on the bulletin board itself. Many "guests" would love to go online and chat about Spain, but don't know that the chat functionality exists.

Now, the other option for group chat is simply using the Instant Messengers that many of us already have on our computers already. The problem is that this, for many people, is a bit private. It depends on how you use your IM. I've got friends, old co-workers, all my family, etc. on my IMs, so it's all the same to me. I've even published my contacts on my web page (like MadridMan).

The other problem is which IM system to use? MSN, AOL, ICQ or Yahoo? What I do is use the Trillian Multi-IM client . This is a GREAT program that allows you to chat with all FOUR of the IM systems AND IRC at the same time. You have to have an account on all the systems, but at least I never miss chatting to anyone due to them using a different system.

I know from MM's front page that he's an ICQ user and even though I'm not a big fan, they do have a bunch of tools including IRC chat rooms, etc. It might be a good place to start.

Here's MY contact info if anyone wants to add me to their IM-
Yahoo: russell_beattie
AOL: russell010
MSN: rbeattie@hotmail.com

I'll add this info to my Profile - if enough people do that sort of thing, then the chats might get really common and interesting.

-Russ

#71384 - 04/06/02 09:34 PM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Russ has explain it very well, but I'll add some comments.

You must use an IRC client (such as mIRC) to connect to an IRC server (which is pretty easy) or you may connect via web IRC client, which is a Java applet or just a script. Both are free smile

An example of a non-java script of the #Madrid channel at the IRC-Hispano servers is in: http://www.irc-hispano.org/demochat/canal.html?can=madrid .

So the thing is: we would have an easier way to access the chat, less advertisements and more advantages.

Regards!

#71385 - 04/11/02 07:04 PM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Did someone here, by chance, already "register"/start the #madridman IRC chanel on IRC-hispano.org ? It seems to exist, but not sure.

Fernando, that #madrid IRC channel you list above just now had 361 users and, of course, all talking in Spanish. I think this would be too much for most of our non-Spanish-speaking visitors (the majority, I'm sure). TOO busy.

While I'd LOVE to spend hours and hours researching and finding THE BEST IRC or chat application for our chat page on MadridMan.com, do we have any knowledable volunteers which might like/want/have-time to do it for me/us? Whichever application you choose, I'll test it for myself, and then add it to the www.MadridMan.com/chat.html ASAP for all to use/test. If we don't like it, we can change to a different one. What do you say? Any volunteers?

Any knowledge/experience with mIRC? (web/info/download @ http://cws.internet.com/irc-mirc.html : mIRC website @ http://www.mirc.com )

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#71386 - 04/12/02 07:49 AM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
LostInMadrid Offline

I volunteer... Fernando and I will hash it out and then send you an email with some code... okay Fernando? But only if you add a link to the front page of the BBS so people don't have to hunt to find the link!

;-)

-Russ

P.S. IRC is generally a "first come first serve" system. Each IRC server (there are many servers and they are generally not connected unless they are part of a specific group like DALNet) can contain as many channels as the users want. When you're using an IRC server, you can create your own channel on any topic. Just say "join #suchandsuch" and if suchandsuch doesn't exist, you just created that channel/room and are the first member. If it exists already, you join that channel. Simple. The person who created the channel can then do things like add moderation and priveleges if they want. I think you can also "reserve" a channel too, but you have to send an email to the server administrators to do that. So... at first any generic Java IRC client will just attach to the Hispanet IRC server and say "join #MadridMan" automatically. If it exists, then the user will join that channel, if not, they will then create it and wait for others.

#71387 - 04/12/02 08:13 AM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Consider it done!

LiM and I will do it.

I have 5 years of experience with mIRC, IRC and the IRC-Hispano servers smile

Fernando

#71388 - 04/12/02 09:12 AM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to add a direct link to the new and improved chat page on the front/main (with forums listed) of the message board.

If you have the opportunity to do it, please try to reserve/create the channel under #madridman or, if that's not available, #madridmanchat . How's that? Thanks so much! This should be much better for everyone to use.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#71389 - 04/13/02 06:53 AM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
LostInMadrid Offline

Okay, so I found a pretty decent IRC client... it costs around $50 to register, but it comes with a digital key so you can use it to access whatever IRC server you want. It's from www.jpilot.com.

You can try the applet here.

Now I know I said there are FREE chat clients out there, but I forgot one important point, applets have a security feature that only allow them to contact the server from which they were downloaded. This is good, it makes sure that evil applets don't start uploading all your user data to some random website. However, in order to get around the security restrictions and connect to a random IRC server on the internet, there are two solutions: 1) Sign your applet with a security key that "guarantees" that your applet won't do anything evil, or 2) Run a "message forwarding" java application on your server which forwards the network communication from your applet to whatever server you want.

I found two FREE (as in beer) applets which allow you to do the latter (one called JICRA and one from IBM). These applets even come with a simple forwarding java app you can run on your server, but you'd have to talk to your ISP to get that working...

Thus the other option is the digital signature. The digital key costs cash, thus the applets that are "signed" cost cash too. I've been hunting around this morning and I couldn't find any that were signed and free...

Okay, you can try the applet on my server above to see how it works. It's quick and easy and the only drawback is until it's registered, it'll give you messages saying "REGISTER ME!".

-Russ

#71390 - 04/13/02 07:00 AM Re: The MadridMan IRC channel!!!
LostInMadrid Offline

I GRADUATED!!!! (that last post put me over the top!)

-Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments