Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#70815 - 09/03/01 12:16 PM Playing Basketball (Madrid)
jmp110372 Offline

Hola,

As the weather gets cooler, I was wondering if anyone would like to start playing Basketball on the weekends, maybe at a set time on Saturdays. There is a nice court around Plaza Republica Dominicana (metro Colombia). Shoot me an email if you are interested.

Best Regards
Joe

[ 09-03-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#70816 - 09/03/01 12:30 PM Re: Playing Basketball (Madrid)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi jmp110372!! Where in Spain are you hoping to play? I'm not familiar with Plaza Republica Dominicana. Is this in Barcelona? Madrid? Please remember to put the city location in your subject line so we all know to where you are referring. Thanks!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#70817 - 09/03/01 12:36 PM Re: Playing Basketball (Madrid)
jmp110372 Offline

Sorry about that.

Plaza Republica Dominicana (or Dominicana Republica) is located in Madrid at Metro Colombia (Linea 9 between stops Concha Espina and Pio XII). It is also located next to Auto Pista M30 (I am not sure of the exit).

#70818 - 09/03/01 01:06 PM Re: Playing Basketball (Madrid)
Ben Offline

Loc: Madrid/Barcelona/Berlin
Yeah, that would be great ! Are there any good players there ?

Ben

#70819 - 09/04/01 03:40 AM Re: Playing Basketball (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

There ARE players that USED TO BE good.

I can join you if you join peole enough.

#70820 - 09/04/01 04:31 AM Re: Playing Basketball (Madrid)
jmp110372 Offline

How is 12 noon on Saturday for everyone? We can meet in front of the Holiday Gym in the Plaza (right next to the Hagen Daz store, how ironic). I will bring a ball.

Usually there are some people there, on the hot days no-one, but if we have 3 people, we can probably grab a few more and play either 3 on 3 or full court 4´s.

The quality of the players vary like every court. You will have the people out there to have fun to High school groups together practicing to people that play seriously. One thing I noticed about the difference between playing here and in NY is that Defense is rarely played here (and if it is they play zone) and they do not box out on rebounds. More emphasis on offense.

By the way, do not show up if you are not a Knicks fan wink .

#70821 - 09/04/01 06:29 AM Re: Playing Basketball (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

12 is the earlier i wake up on Saturdays. It's ok.

If it were on sundays, it would be better for me in the afternoon. This is also a good time for me in Saturdays. And there are the afternoons/evenings the weekdays...

Ignacio

#70822 - 09/04/01 05:42 PM Re: Playing Basketball (Madrid)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
jmp110372: Since I won't be there to police the court, here are two things to do:

1) Make sure the locals take their obligatory smoke break about 30 minutes into your game. Dunks and Ducados...what could be better!?! :p

2) Enjoy...bball in Spain brings back a flood of memories, especially that extra-step-traveling thing that you can get away with in Europe...nothing a good hard foul doesn't cure though. heh heh heh...

Have fun!

#70823 - 09/05/01 04:19 AM Re: Playing Basketball (Madrid)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good to hear from you, Cali.

But, we tend to believe that the ones who do travelling are the NBA payers, who hold the ball too much in their hands when dribbling, walking in the meantime!

Ignacio
(Who was a basketball referee in the old times).

#70824 - 09/06/01 08:37 PM Re: Playing Basketball (Madrid)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Ignacio: No argument from me. If they would've called Michael Jordan "según las reglas" over his career, he would've had more turnovers than baskets...we called him "el viajero".

I do notice that they've cracked down on the palming in the NBA, too, but old habits die hard. You'll notice when the refs make a palming call by the whiny, overpaid player looking around as if to say "me? you called that on me???!!!"

CaliBasco [who enjoys taking an extra step, and an extra swig of Slurpee, on his way to "el basket"]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments