MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#70680 - 03/16/01 08:06 AM Message Board Upgrade Planned/Completed/Problems
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Just a little warning/notice: This weekend, some evening, I plan to attempt to upgrade the message board software to the current version and will try to start/finish it one of these weekend nights, maybe tonight, Saturday, or Sunday night, maybe at around midnight EAST COAST USA time.

As with all changes, the look and feel will be a bit different and we'll all have to muddle through, getting used to it all over again. There's no avoiding this, I'm afraid. BUT, with "change" often comes improvements, added features, new looks, etcetera, and this is what I like to continue doing with MadridMan.com.

I know. I know. JUST when you were STARTING to learn how to make all the smiley faces, right!? Hehehe.. Believe me, with the new software, you'll only need to CLICK your different smiley faces into place (I believe) so it should be easier than it is now. We'll see, right? hehee.. If I don't like it, I'll go back to this version. Cross your fingers!

A NOTICE screen will be placed on the WELCOME page saying the board is DOWN for upgrades and to try back again in a few hours.

Thanks for your patience!! I'll follow up in this thread if I have any further announcements.

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 04-15-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#70681 - 03/16/01 11:40 AM Re: Message Board Upgrade Planned/Completed/Problems
jllawson Offline

Loc: Boise, ID US
any chance that with the upgrade that the messages in a thread could be sorted with the most recent posting listed first...you do a good job with the bb and I appreciate the work that it takes... its just that I don't want to have to scan through the messages if I can't use the sort feature you have for 1,2, days etc.... thank you for your efforts I am deligent about telling others of the great website......

#70682 - 03/16/01 11:47 AM Re: Message Board Upgrade Planned/Completed/Problems
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Good luck with the task, MM. I hope our withdrawl won't be too long or painful!!
Happy St. Paddy's everyone-

#70683 - 03/17/01 11:43 AM Re: Message Board Upgrade Planned/Completed/Problems
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Oh yeah! Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! I'd forgotten (not Irish). jlawson, I could sort the postings "newests posting first and so on..", and this is quicker for return members. But for new visitors it wouldn't be a logical order to start threads at the top and then have to read backwards.

I suggest the following: On the front page of the message board there's a link under the MadridMan's Spain Message Board "balloon" that says "Click Here To View Today's Active Topics (all public forums)" that will show the threads in forums which have new postings for the day. This won't help you with 1-2 day old NEW postings, of course. In this case, you may simply go to the particular thread and, instead of scolling down just hit your END key and you'll go to the bottom instantly and then you can work your way up through the recent postings.

Imagine the new visitor and he/she arrives to read the threads which only have 2 or 3 postings. Wouldn't it seem odd to, logically, start at the top (newbies never see the dates of posting) and read down/backward?

NOTE: jlawson, something that may help you and others like you... or maybe not! Under the "menu" under the red text of "MadridMan's Message Board" you'll find the links to "profile | register | preferences | faq | search" (my favorite is this last one. hehehe..) If you click on the PREFERENCES link you can change the way the forum threads are listed. In "DEFAULT TOPIC VIEW", click the pulldown menu and change it from whatever it says (probably "Show topics from last 30 days) to "Show topics from last 2 days" and then your default will be set as this and you'll see ONLY threads which have activity in the last two days. You'll still have to hit END or scroll to the bottom of those threads you're following, but it may help keep organized.

About the message board upgrade, I'm going to try to do it tonight. If it doesn't work, I may need "professional help" (hehehe..) in which case it would probably take place sometime Monday or Tuesday. Thanks!

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 03-17-2001).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#70684 - 03/20/01 11:46 PM Re: Message Board Upgrade Planned/Completed/Problems
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Okay everyone. Tomorrow night (Wednesday) at about 9pm Eastern USA time I will make a serious attempt at UPGRADING the message board software. It should (we'll see, eh?) only take a couple of hours and the board will be DOWN for that period of time. Thanks for your patience!! Hope we all like the new version! I don't think I can change it back to the old version if we don't.

Saludos, MadridMan

#70685 - 03/21/01 05:03 PM Re: Message Board Upgrade Planned/Completed/Problems
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Another reminder for all who haven't seen this before. Tonight at 9pm East Coast USA will be when I shut down the message board for the attempted upgrade. You'll all, HOPEFULLY, wake up tomorrow to a NEW LOOK and feel to MadridMan's Spain Message Board. Don't stress!!!!

#70686 - 03/21/01 05:19 PM Re: Message Board Upgrade Planned/Completed/Problems
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
We'll be sending you coffee all night long.

#70687 - 03/21/01 08:40 PM Re: Message Board Upgrade Planned/Completed/Problems
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

UPDATE: The Message Board will be shutting down in 30 minutes, 9pm Eastern USA time.

Thanks Wolfgang81, but I'm thinking this is going to be easier than had originally thought. I may be eating my words in 30 minutes. hehehe.. Later!

#70688 - 03/21/01 09:15 PM Re: Message Board Upgrade Planned/Completed/Problems
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

ARRRGH!!!!!! Another delay. I need some clarification on a couple of points. It seems that upon upgrading the software all the URLs to threads will be somehow changed. Gotta look into this as some of the threads have been indexed on search engines. If I don't get this resolved tomorrow this will have to wait until the weekend.

#70689 - 03/21/01 10:25 PM Re: Message Board Upgrade Planned/Completed/Problems
tomas Offline

Loc: San Francisco, California, USA
Hey MadridMan - is there anything some of us tech/web savvy members/participants can do to help you out? Just let us know.

Tomas

------------------
"Salud, amor y pesetas - y tiempo para gozarlos" http://home.att.net/~t.macentee

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments