Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#69506 - 09/27/05 06:50 AM Madrid: free WiFi?
Panthercw Offline

Loc: Madrid
Ok, so I paid all this money for a new laptop with Wi-Fi. I was told that in the center of Madrid you can pick up a few free WiFi lines..which I can, and connect to them. However, my laptop says it can not find a valid IP address...Any IT people out there? I have no idea what that means!! My laptop is from the states so I know it means something has to be configured, and I actually connect to the signal so I know it is a free signal. But finding a valid IP address for Madrid?? Some help please! My laptop has become a place to story my photos at the moment.

#69507 - 09/27/05 07:13 AM Re: Madrid: free WiFi?
YZYZ Offline

Well, unless the server says "gratis" or "libre" then you are hijacking someone's personal wireless network. Some people choose to leave their networks unsecured which means you can access them although it really isn't their intent. They set it up that way out of ignorance. Use your conscience to decide whether to use them or not.

The Wireless Connection Window will also show secured connections, which unless you are a "1337" hacker are not available.

I have actually seen few "gratis" connections here in Madrid. Even the hotspots at Starbucks are pay to connect.

If your wireless card is set up to access hotspots in the states, you can access them here as well. Nothing special. My guess is that you are trying to access a secured router.

#69508 - 09/29/05 03:09 PM Re: Madrid: free WiFi?
Panthercw Offline

Ok, there is free Wi-Fi networks in the center of Madrid. I since been able to pick up on them and access them. My laptop lets me know which are open/free and which are secure/pay. Only thing is the signal strength is weak where I live. So anyone with a laptop with a wireless card, and you are in Central Madrid can access free wireless networks with no problem.

#69509 - 09/29/05 03:49 PM Re: Madrid: free WiFi?
YZYZ Offline

Like I said, open does not necessarily mean free. It´s like when you leave your front door unlocked - it does not mean that you are allowing anyone to enter your apartment. But regardless, make sure that you have a firewall installed and operating on your laptop!! There may be some people that leave an unsecured wireless connection out there so that they can hack into your system. Even on a bonafide wireless connection people can have access to all of the info on your computer if there is no firewall. Remember that any info that you send out goes through the person´s computer that you are accessing to use the internet.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments