Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6924 - 04/27/04 08:59 PM Santiago de Compostela and Hostal Alfonso
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
I just came back from Satiago. I cannot tell you enough about how much I enjoyed this place. I need to go back soon!

I stayed at HOSTAL ALFONSO . What a great place! The owners, Luis and Mari Carmen as well as their son Julian are adorable and very customer minded. They are atentive, friendly, make you feel as part of the family the minute you arrive. They went as far as anticipating my needs for wrapping material and packing for souvenirs and shoppings.

Think of this hostal as a townhouse, two rooms per floor. Three floors, six rooms total. You have front door and room key handled to you, which I found great for privacy and safety.

I had a third floor, single room with a full view of the Cathedral and the Obradeiro Plaza. Very clean, good linen for 42 euros including breakfast.

I highly recommend this place, nearby the Cathedral, great tapas, restaurants, shopping and major sightseeings, a taxi station and public transportation.

Yes, I was there for the Saturday 6PM Mass with the Botafumeiro and again for the 12 Noon Sunday Pilgrims Mass, again, with the Botafumeiro. What an experience!

Thanks to Mari Carmen, Luis and Julian. You are wonderful!

Elvira

#6925 - 04/27/04 09:09 PM Re: Santiago de Compostela and Hostal Alfonso
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
epaulino4, I'm SO happy to read your review of Hostal Alfonso . I'd seen their website for years and always wondered about it, wondered if the room with the view of the cathedral through the window could actually be available. AND YOU HAD IT! Sounds wonderfully romantic too. Mmmm....

Question: How long would you estimate your walk from Hostal Alfonso to, say, the cathedral?

Like you, I was just.... wow... thrilled with Santiago de Compostela in particular and in Galicia in general. I'm happy to hear you were able to experience the Botafumeiro. I'd heard so often from (message board member) Eddie - whom we haven't seen for quite awhile now - about this and it must be something special to witness.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#6926 - 04/28/04 08:20 AM Re: Santiago de Compostela and Hostal Alfonso
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Hola Madridman! It was very nice meeting you at Hostal Adriano and being part of the Madridman's get together. It was great to be able to put names and faces together from all over the world. Thanks for this great opportunity you gave us.

I clocked the walk from Hostal Alfonso to the Cathedral and it is 5-7 minutes. Of course, you have to fight the temptation of stopping at the so many wonderful bars. There are two ways to get there, up the "main street" or down and around the cobblestone walk, which is another wonderful way to take pictures of all the red roofs and the great view of the "poblado".

I am glad to hear that I am not alone falling in love with Santiago.

Best regards

Elvira

#6927 - 04/28/04 04:27 PM Re: Santiago de Compostela and Hostal Alfonso
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Thanks for sharing this place. It looks great. I'm trying to decide where to go for my 17 day trip in late September and am torn between: Galicia and Asturias or Basque country/Navarra. Leaning towards Galicia since it is a Jubilee year. I spent 3 nights in Santiago in April 2002 at the Hotel As Artes:

Hotel As Artes

The location is incredible and it was a great place to stay but with the devaluation of the dollar and the additional cost during high season (and the Jubilee year) this looks like an alternative that would work well.

#6928 - 05/13/04 03:27 PM Re: Santiago de Compostela and Hostal Alfonso
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Booked my room this afternoon for the weekend of May 28-30!!! Sevilla this weekend!! and Prague in three weeks. And then...ya...

#6929 - 05/15/04 03:05 PM Re: Santiago de Compostela and Hostal Alfonso
Fupanier Offline

Loc: Oregon
I've got reservations in Santiago for July 2/3/4 at HsR Mapoula, was unable to establish a link - but got it through www.SpainHostels.com.

A triple (3 beds) in old town, but only a few minutes from the Cathedral. 45 euros/night. They don't have email but responded to a fax....

I'll give a review upon my return!

Have a great trip (to all) -

Fup cool

#6930 - 05/15/04 03:33 PM Re: Santiago de Compostela and Hostal Alfonso
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
AND... we will be at Costa Vella, www.costavella.com , July 2,3,and 4th. We then have a few free days to explore with a rental car before doing 200 km on horseback on the Camino Francés!!! What do you all have planned, Fupanier? How many days will you be in Galicia?

#6931 - 05/15/04 04:43 PM Re: Santiago de Compostela and Hostal Alfonso
Fupanier Offline

Loc: Oregon
sel - Nice! - July 2/3/4 will mark the end of my 2 sons & I walking some of the Via De la Plata. We'll start in Lisbon & walk to Fatima - then train/bus to Requejo & walk the 243 km on to Santiago. My oldest son & I walked the Frances from Burgos a couple years ago & loved it. The horse-back trip sounds fantastic.

I gues we'll be in Galicia about 3 weeks? 1 1/2 weeks in Portugal....

Buen Camino!

Fup smile

#6932 - 05/31/04 07:45 AM Re: Santiago de Compostela and Hostal Alfonso
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello,
Just got back from Santiago. Hostal Alfonso was FANTASTIC. Luis and Mari were so, so nice. Easily the BEST hotel/hostal experience I have had in Spain. Had the same third floor single room with a picture postcare view of the Cathedral (Room #301). Very clean & comfortable. Slept like a log!Price included breakfast, simple but sufficient. Luis offered a tasting of an Albariño (white wine of the region). Unfortunately, I was in and out and did not have the chance. Next time?? smile

But seriously, first rate place.

As a bonus, Santiago itself was beautiful. I loved it and the region. Just try getting a cheap flight as the train ride was...difficult.

#6933 - 06/02/04 05:30 AM Re: Santiago de Compostela and Hostal Alfonso
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
MadridMan writes:
Quote:
Like you, I was just.... wow... thrilled with Santiago de Compostela in particular and in Galicia in general. I'm happy to hear you were able to experience the Botafumeiro. I'd heard so often from (message board member) Eddie - whom we haven't seen for quite awhile now - about this and it must be something special to witness
Hey, MM: I'm still alive & kicking. rolleyes As a matter of fact, I am headed for Santiago (my Jubilee Year pilgrimage) in 2-weeks.
The Botafumeiro can be terrifying eek if you're seated along the aisle in the pews north or south of the main Altar.
There's some good info here (about the Saturday 6:00 PM Mass for ex.). I'll be flying out Sunday (20 Jun) at about 07:00.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments