Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#68971 - 01/15/05 08:13 PM PLEASE HELP ME QUICK!!!!!
login Offline

Loc: London
HI GUYS,
I HOPE SOME OF YOU SPEAK ENGLISH.

i was wondering if you could help me. I am a Music student from England doing a study on the Spainish music market. I was wondering if you could take the time to help me answer a few questions? I would like to know your thoughts and views on the Spainish music market.

1. Who are the main music labels?

2. Is there an underground music scene?

3. What are the main concert and gig venues?

4. Who are the main music promoters?

5. Who are the main Dj's?

6. What is the most popular kind of music genre?

7. What are the main radio stations ?

8. Do you have music video stations other than foreign broadcasts such as MTV and VH1?

9. How influential is the music press (magazines etc?)

10. What are the main music festivals?

11. How popular is International music compared with dmestic music?

12. How harmful is music piracy to the domestic scene?

13. Is music affected by politics?

14. What are the main music shops in Spain?

15. Does the government care about iracy and illegal downloading of Music?

16. How much does a CD album cost to buy in Spain?

Please feel free to tell me anything else that may be of your own opinion.
I will be eternally greatful for any help you could give me. Thank you in advance, pleae post back a reply or email me on
lix-beatfreaks@lineone.net

I need this information as soon as possible so if you could help then i would be happy to return a favour from the UK.

#68972 - 01/16/05 10:43 AM Re: PLEASE HELP ME QUICK!!!!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Login,

Regarding your questions, I can only answer a few, however, here is a site where most of your questions about the Spanish music industry can be answered:
Associación Fonográfica y Videográfica Española (AFYVE)
Calle Pintor Juan Gris, 4,2o
Madrid
Spain
Tel: +34 (91) 555 8196
Fax: +34 (91) 555 9592
Email: afyve@afyve.com
Note their website:

Regarding the types of music, Wikipedia has this short introduction you may want to look at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Spain
Quote:
Spain's musical output includes a long history of innovation in Western and Andalusian classical music, as well as a domestic popular music industry, and diverse styles of folk music. In addition, modern Spain has a number of performers in the fields of rock and roll, heavy metal, punk rock and hip hop.

The most well-known variety of Spanish folk music is likely flamenco, a diverse genre created by Andalusian Roma. Flamenco is known since at least the 1770s, and has been through several cycles of dwindling popularity and rebirth. The style has produced many of the most famous Spanish musicians, including singer Camarón de la Isla and guitarist Carlos Montoya.

Outside of flamenco, regional Spanish folk music includes the distinct Basque trikitrixa and accordion music, Galician and Asturian gaita (bagpipe) and Aragonese jota. Though some folk traditions have died out or are moribund, some retain great popularity and have been modernized and adapted to new instruments, styles and formats. These include the popular Celtic music of Galicia, the singer-songwriter tradition of nova canço and New Flamenco.

The first popular music of Spain began to appear in about 1959, with the fall of Francisco Franco. Soon, Ye-Yé dominated the Spanish charts, followed by the important of American and British rock, French singers and other pop stars.

We have a member, Nigel, who is very knowledgeable inspanish music particularly the latest Celtic and New Flamenco trends. I hope he notices this thread!

10. What are the main music festivals? It seems like every city has one. Do a search of MM search engine and you will find several music discussions. Also do a Google search for <Music Festivals Spain>

12. How harmful is music piracy to the domestic scene? Like everywhere, artists are being cheated of their due whenever a "topmanta" sells a pirated CD in front of Atocha station. Topmantas in Spain are the equivalent of the label pirates one often finds at Flea Markets here in the States, and at Car Boot sales in Britain.

Here is an article from IFPI http://www.ifpi.org/site-content/antipiracy/piracy_watch_current.html

Quote:
A round-up of anti-piracy actions worldwide

January 2004

SPAIN

Spain's Guardia Civil police detained fourteen alleged hackers in January accused of distributing, for profit, around half a million unauthorised music and film files via different universities' networks in Spain and abroad.

An investigation into their activities - called Operation SNORT - started in the summer 2003 after complaints about hacker attacks and intrusions on computers were received from the University of Vigo. Following additional complaints filed by AFYVE, Spain's recording industry group and IFPI affiliate, and EGEDA (Audiovisual Producers' rights' society) a judge granted search warrants for suspected addresses. Using software called Snort which tracks communications between computers it was possible to identify the IP addresses used by the hackers.

During November and December last year eleven searches were carried out in various locations throughout Spain. The operation resulted in the arrest of fourteen people charged with alleged infringements against intellectual property, unauthorised use of computer systems and unlawful use of private information. These are all crimes under the Spanish Criminal Code.

Prior to the case, AFYVE had launched an important awareness campaign aimed at Spanish universities, where copies of IFPI's Copyright Use and Security Guides were distributed widely. The guide advises academic institutions of the legal and technical risks they run when copyright material is copied and transmitted over computer networks without permission from the rights owners

Guardia Civil police are studying computer hard drives and documentation seized in the raids, in what is being described as the largest anti-piracy operation of its type in Spain.

15. Does the government care about iracy and illegal downloading of Music? Yes, Spain cares about piracy. Spain ascribes to the international copyright treaties. However, like most countries it lacks the wherewithall to go after illegal downloading.

16. How much does a CD album cost to buy in Spain?
Same as in the States. I went to the Corte Inglés hoping to pick up the latest Flores CD less expensive than here at home. To my surprise it was the same price: $18.00.

Good luck with your research,
Booklady

#68973 - 01/16/05 01:36 PM Re: PLEASE HELP ME QUICK!!!!!
login Offline

thank you so much for your input, are you spanish living in the us??

#68974 - 01/16/05 03:20 PM Re: PLEASE HELP ME QUICK!!!!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
No, I am not a Spaniard, but my dad and mom are Spanish, as are all of my ancestors. Living with and among Spaniards has given me a unique perspective. It's emotional. laugh
Carmen

#68975 - 01/16/05 04:29 PM Re: PLEASE HELP ME QUICK!!!!!
Supertubbie Offline

Loc: Madrid
8) Iff you have TV on the antenna you only get 12 stations. CNN and a sportchanel are the only american stations you get. Iff you want more you have to become a member of Canal plus and that cost around 45 euro's a mont that not everyvody can pay. We also receive an German international chanel that puts once in a while american music, but always old songs.

#68976 - 01/16/05 07:15 PM Re: PLEASE HELP ME QUICK!!!!!
login Offline

THANKS MY FRIEND ALL INFORMATION IS A GREAT HELP!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments