Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#68897 - 11/30/04 11:57 AM "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
After having recently seen "Abre Los Ojos" in my Spanish class. I became a big fan of Spanish Director Alejandro Amenábar. Last weekend in Madrid I saw his latest film "Mar Adentro" with wonderful actor Javier Bardem in the lead role. Once again Amenábar wrote the script and composed the music. In spite of my less than perfect Spanish, I thought "Mar Adentro" was superb. (Obviously they show the movie without English subtitles in Madrid.) Just wanted to pass this along to my fellow MadridMan members. (I'm not sure if "Mar Adentro" has opened yet outside of Spain.)

#68898 - 11/30/04 12:16 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I too have heard only great things about this film. My ladyfriend in Madrid saw it and said it was quite moving and brings up many social & moral issues that should be addressed. I can't wait to see it too but not sure WHEN or IF it will ever come to Columbus, Ohio. Maybe I can catch it this New Years during my next visit or at least see it on DVD if it's "there" yet.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68899 - 12/19/04 11:06 AM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
el viajero Offline

Javier Bardem was on PBS's THE CHARLIE ROSE SHOW this week to talk about the film, which suggests it may be released in the U.S. sometime soon.

#68900 - 12/20/04 07:51 AM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
El Mar Adentro ( the sea inside) has been released here in NY...Limited release so far though.

#68901 - 12/27/04 09:06 AM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
NPR.org just had a segment interviewing the lead actor for Mar Adentro. You can LISTEN to the interview (in English) by clicking THIS LINK , scroll to the bottom, and click the audio link for "Bardem Portrays Quadriplegic's Struggle in 'Sea'":
Quote:
In the new film The Sea Inside, Spanish actor Javier Bardem plays Ramon Sampedro, a 55-year-old quadriplegic who fought the Spanish government for 30 years for the right to die. NPR's Renee Montagne talks to Bardem about the mental and physical challenges of the role.
Very interesting interview about the movie and the story. It hasn't come to Columbus, Ohio, USA yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68902 - 01/01/05 03:51 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Well, I started the new year "in Galicia" (sort of) by going to see Mar Adentro! It truly is a wonderful film. Of course it was a hit in Spain...it is a magnificent story and Amenábar's vision is,without a doubt, so vivid. I absolutely loved it and loved hearing the accents and seeing the Galician countryside. If you have not seen this film, you really should try to see it. It seems to only be at one theatre in NYC, which surprised me.

I have seen this movie on some film critics' best movies of 2004 lists...it is very deserving of this honor.

If you liked some of the music in the movie, you may want to go to Carlos Nuńez website to read a bit about the wonderful music of Galicia.

I really hope that many people in the USA get to see this film! I think it is very deserving of the many awards it has already won.

#68903 - 01/15/05 07:25 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
jlramos Offline

Loc: New York NY EEUU
Just saw it today. Best movie I've seen all year! I was actually crying for most of it. Javier Bardem deserves an Oscar. NY & LA people, GO SEE IT!! It's really, really , really good. Trust me, I am member # 337! cool

#68904 - 01/17/05 11:19 AM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

It was so wonderful to see Mar Adentro win the Golden Globe award last night! Now, maybe the movie will have more of a distribution in the US...I hope so!

#68905 - 01/17/05 06:05 PM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
By the way, what do you think of how they translated the title (The Sea Inside)? It's not literal, but I think it's interesting and suggestive.

#68906 - 01/18/05 08:54 AM Re: "Mar Adentro" - New Amenábar Movie
David K Offline

I thought that was a literal translation until you mentioned it. According to wordreference, "mar adentro" means "out to sea", which is quite different from "the sea inside". For those who have seen it, would "Out to Sea" have been a more appropriate English title?

Edit: wait, "sea inside" is the literal translation (if mar = sea, and adentro = inside). But, apparently, this is not what the phrase "mar adentro" means....so by translating literally, they've changed the meaning.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments