Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6865 - 04/15/04 02:04 PM Madrid:Hostal Persal vs. Hotel Europa--can't decide
AJ_dup1 Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
Hi all,

First it has to be said--MadridMan THANK YOU so much for this board. It has been beyond helpful to someone who has never gone to Spain.

On Topic--

I can't decide between Hostal Persal or Hotel Europa in Madrid for a September 2004 trip. I've done all the research/reading and they are both about the same price/style but different locations in/near Puerta del Sol. Can anyone help who has stayed at both? I'm just looking for something that will make it an easy decision to not stay at one vs. the other. :-)

Hotel Europa is directly on Puerta del Sol but their website doesn't have a picture of the rooms. (which makes me worry) Hostal Persal looks very clean and safe (my top two priorites) but is not directly on Puerta del Sol.

Also, Hotel Europa doesn't have air conditioning. I'm going in September so I'm guessing that's not a real problem??

I'm an ex-hotel manager, so I freely admit I'm picky, but really all I care about is a place being super clean and half-way safe. :-)

Thank you!
Aurora

#6866 - 04/15/04 02:28 PM Re: Madrid:Hostal Persal vs. Hotel Europa--can't decide
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
September is still a very warm month for Madrid. Moreover, it is a city...therefore the heat is more intense.

As to the two places, I haven't stayed at either. But, the Hotel Europa is on a major walkway that is crowded and noisy at all hours. There is a cafetería by its entrance and people are always congregating around it.

I believe you would prefer something with AC...better safe than sorry. Madrid can be beastly hot...without a breeze.

Also, a hotel/hostal on the Puerta de Sol is, frankly, noisy at all hours. It's not just the people gathering...but the trucks. I stayed at a hotel whose name at this moment eludes me. The hotel was wonderful...right off the Puerta de Sol next to the Corte Inglés. Great location...but the noise level didn't allow me to sleep one night. Either there were truck deliveries (starting at 6 A.M.) to the Corte Inglés, or to the bars in the area, and/or the garbage trucks (these started at 4 A.M.).

I hope I didn't confuse you anymore than necessary.

Sheryl

#6867 - 04/15/04 02:31 PM Re: Madrid:Hostal Persal vs. Hotel Europa--can't decide
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Let me recommend the Hotel Suecia in Madrid if you want an excellent accommodation in a quiet environment yet very close to all the excitement, right off the Calle de Alcala.

You can buy the Bancotel coupons and for one coupon you can stay at this four star hotel. The coupons are worth 50 Euros each, and you use one per night at the Suecia, a bargain!

Take a look at the Bancotel program it is fantastic and affordable. I used it several years ago and stayed at the Suecia. It is a short walk to Kilometro Zero, and a short walk to the Museo del Prado.

I also dined at the Hotel Europa and I found the location very exciting, near a Corte Ingles, and filled with people, if you enjoy the hustle and bustle of crowds that's the place to be. Very noisy.

Saludos y buen viaje!

#6868 - 04/16/04 10:32 AM Re: Madrid:Hostal Persal vs. Hotel Europa--can't decide
AJ_dup1 Offline

Thank you for the helpful information. I love hot weather, but I think I do want the option of having a/c.

I'm so beyond confused now about where to stay!

Now the Hostal Adriano sounds great too. I emaailed them and Alberto (?) was so helpful. But I can't seem to get over the 4 or 5 stair hike to my room. (He said they still don't have an elevator) I'm in good health and young, but what if I'm feeling lazy, lol. :-)

Now I have to decide between all three places...

#6869 - 04/16/04 04:02 PM Re: Madrid:Hostal Persal vs. Hotel Europa--can't decide
AJ_dup1 Offline

Decision made-- I'm at the Hotel Europa. I feel relieved that I can stop searching/debating places.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments