Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68309 - 12/09/03 11:39 AM Madrid:Please Update Internet Connection Recommendations
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
I'm finally getting ready to move into my permanent quarters in Madrid. One thing I will have to work out is what type of Internet Service to subscribe to at home. There has been previous discussion about some of the providers and availability of cable. I'll be living near Plaza Republica de Argentina and would appreciate any current recommendations those based in Madrid may have.

#68310 - 12/10/03 06:33 PM Re: Madrid:Please Update Internet Connection Recommendations
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Seems to be a popular question laterly. New member Madrid just asked the same. Anyone have information for these two?

Best of luck to you! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68311 - 12/11/03 05:44 PM Re: Madrid:Please Update Internet Connection Recommendations
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
As far as I know, all ISPs providing ADSL access in Spain makes you sign a contract for at least 1 year.

A few weeks ago Tiscali advertised you can try it for 6 months and quit without paying any "compensation" to them. Perhaps that's the only choice for someone who is not going to stay in Madrid for more than a year.

As for the cable Auna is the only provider in Madrid. Last time I saw their offers, you have to pay a monthly rent for the cable-modem, there was a transfer limit per month and a few other limitations.

#68312 - 12/12/03 08:52 AM Re: Madrid:Please Update Internet Connection Recommendations
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
I'm not so worried about the length of the contract since I'll be in Madrid until 2007. I'm more interested with the quality of the service in comparision with the cost. Any comments out there.

#68313 - 02/11/04 07:19 AM Re: Madrid:Please Update Internet Connection Recommendations
The_Keeper Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Hi Chris,

I have just moved into my permanent accomodation in Madrid and will be here for a couple of years at least. Did you ever get a definitive answer regarding how to get Broadband installed and which companies to use?

Many thanks for any help.

Marko.

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#68314 - 02/11/04 08:59 AM Re: Madrid:Please Update Internet Connection Recommendations
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Some choices:

ADSL:
Telefónica Terra
Tiscali
Wanadoo
Ya.com
Arsys

Cable:
Madritel Auna Cable

Those are the best broadband options. I won't consider any other company or access type (such as satellite).

Most companies offer ADSL (256K/128K) for 39 €/month, though the rest of conditions vary (connection fee, monthly fee for the router/modem,etc...).

Fernando

#68315 - 02/11/04 06:07 PM Re: Madrid:Please Update Internet Connection Recommendations
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Forget about Tiscali. I've read many complaints about their users. In fact, they are even gathering to sue the company due to its horrible service.

I'm trying to decide which ADSL connection is the best. Unfortunately, all of them have thousands of complaints.

According to the OCU a very well-known Spanish consumers association, Ya.com offers the worst connection (the lowest speed and other things).

Arsys is a very popular web hosting company. It's one of the cheapest and they have very good reputation. I am wondering if they have the same good service in their ADSL. In fact, this is the one I'm thinking to install.

Please, if you use ADSL in Spain, post your experience here.

#68316 - 02/11/04 07:05 PM Re: Madrid:Please Update Internet Connection Recommendations
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I was interested in the Cable Modem service offered by Madritel Auna Cable but it's not available in my ladyfriend's neighborhood. So out of curiosity I tried the address for VERY CENTRAL Hostal Chelo and same thing, it's not available there either! Odd! Maybe it's only available in the financial/business districts or more modern parts of the city. I don't know. Shame, too. Oh well. I guess ADSL it'll have to be. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#68317 - 02/11/04 07:22 PM Re: Madrid:Please Update Internet Connection Recommendations
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I've been using Terra ADSL (256) for a year, and it works fine for me. In the last six months Telefonica is merging progressively their internet services with Terra.

Now the ADSL offers could include wi-fi+router equipment so you could work from wherever at home.

An interesting edge in the whole question just happened last week. The communications commision aproved the starting of Telefonica's Imagenio service.

There has been a huge controversy with the cable companies because there are big areas in the country which haven't been fiber cabled yet and Imagenio is a competitor who doesn't need it.

This service is a package of ADSL+PayTVChannels+Telefone line at a convenient price all through the classic phone wiring everybody has at home (pricing seems to be competitive).

Pilot project has been in a thousand homes in Alicante for a year. Commercial opening in Madrid and Barcelona will be in spring

www.telefonica.es/tol/imagenio.html

#68318 - 02/12/04 07:28 AM Re: Madrid:Please Update Internet Connection Recommendations
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
You're right, MM, cable service is only available in the main avenues and around the bussiness districts , I.E. AZCA complex and the Castellana zone. And it's been long since the last time I saw some work in progress from Madritel or other cable networks. I'm affraid the cable network is staignated for the moment.
Typical Spanish lack of technological development.
GRRRR!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments