Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#67928 - 02/11/03 09:01 AM Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
P. Almodovar just got two Oscar nominations!!!

Unfortunately, 'Los lunes al sol', the movie we were all expecting would be nominated for best movie in a foreign language didn't. frown

#67929 - 02/11/03 02:04 PM Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her
Miguelito Offline

Good for P.Almodóvar, although I think it'll be very hard for him as M.Sorsese has never won an oscar before and R.Polanski has made a great film also. Anyway, I think that the two nominations are a price themselves.
It's not the first time than a Spanish director is nominated for the best director price?

#67930 - 02/11/03 10:37 PM Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her
Tramontana Offline

Loc: Miami, FL USA
It's to be expected! Hollywood is recognizing an astounding movie and screenplay...well done Pedro! All others, ONCE at once!

#67931 - 02/19/03 09:13 PM Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her
Marianpo Offline

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
I saw Hable con Ella in Miami and for a while could not figure it out. I did notice Almodovar was having a lot of fun and including brief appearances by some of his favorite people, such as singer Martirio, Cecilia Roth, etc. (I wonder if the scene where the two comatose women are sitting next to each other with dark glasses on was an allusion to Martirio.)
Now I think one major theme may be the fear of being devoured by women, and not just because of the silent short. I have read a lot of reviews, but most of them do very little explicating (and that's a genuine English term), that is, translating what the author is saying through his images. Anyway, I would love to hear some interpretations.

#67932 - 02/24/03 12:01 PM Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
TVE reported that Almodóvar won two more awards for "Hable con ella". One from the British and another, I believe, from Italy. I believe they were the equivalent to Best Foreign-language Film or something. Congrats!

#67933 - 02/25/03 09:12 AM Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her
pim Offline

He won three awards over the past weekend, the British one, and the French one called "Cesar" (it even sound a little like the Oscars doesn't it? rolleyes ) for best script I think; and also the Cesar for best European film of the year.

#67934 - 02/26/03 10:01 AM Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Pim,

Can you say a little more about "Los lunes al sol"?--I'm always curious about info on Spanish film--sometimes it's hard to keep up well from Cleveland! (though Hable con ella is playing to good reviews here).

#67935 - 02/26/03 11:45 AM Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
He won 2 at the British awards (BAFTA), one for best film "not in English", and another for original screenplay (in any language!)

#67936 - 02/26/03 12:10 PM Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her
pim Offline

Liz,

Sorry but I haven't seen that movie yet. I know everybody is raving about it, and it's the movie the Spanish movie Academy chose to present it to the American Academy as a candidate to represent Spain at the Oscars (over Hable con Ella), but it finally didn't get the best foreign film nomination....I'm currently unemployed and the movie deals with that issue frown ...., somehow, I don't think I'll have the spirit to go see it until I don't find a job rolleyes !!!

#67937 - 03/24/03 06:58 AM Re: Hable con ella//Talk to her
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
... and he just got the Oscar for best Original Screenplay (in any language) smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments