Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#67664 - 10/10/02 07:35 PM Las Ketchup reach US!!!
marisa4444 Offline

Loc: nyc
Hi everyone! I was listening to the radio the other day and Las Ketchup was on the radio! laugh I was so excited! "Asereje" was on Z100 (I think that only comes into NY)and the next day, everyone at school was singing it. I was so happy because my mom, Esperanza, had already had the CD for a few weeks to show her class...I just had to tell everyone (that lives in NY, at least) that Las Ketchup is BIG in the US now! smile

#67665 - 10/10/02 07:46 PM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi marisa4444!
I've never heard of Las Ketchup but then I don't know most of Spain's pop-singers/groups. The song you heard on the radio in New York, was it in English or Spanish? I'm quite sure I haven't heard it here in Columbus, Ohio but then they never ever ever ever ever (twist my arm 'til it breaks) play ANY Spanish-language songs on our radio stations unless it's by chance on National Public Radio but that's it. I'm sure they play it in places like California, New Mexico, & Florida as well. But I'm happy you could hear it in New York! That's great! laugh

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67666 - 10/10/02 07:52 PM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
marisa4444 Offline

Loc: nyc
Hi MadridMan...YOU HAVEN'T HEARD OF THEM?!? eek Las Ketchup is a pop group from southern Spain, and they are three sisters that named themselves "Las Ketchup" because their father, a flamenco dancer, was named "Tomate". I am sure that you have heard the "Macarena", right? Well, if you have, you might know that that was a popular song for a while...people are saying that "Asereje"(which, is not in english OR spanish, it is gibberish!)will be the new "macarena" of 2002-03! I am just so excited that a spanish group is becoming popular in the US!!! laugh

#67667 - 10/10/02 08:17 PM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hey! I'm listening to their song " Aserejé " now and YES! I KNOW THAT SONG!!!!!!!

Terra has a good page on them (in Spanish) along with the song "Aserejé" they also have THE VIDEO of the same song. smile

By the way, don't even bother visiting LasKetchup.com . It's a VERY unofficial website "dedicated" very little to the group. It seems Las Ketchup doesn't yet have their own official website setup yet.

Also, it seems, at least to me, that Heinz Ketchup is either "backing" them in a HUGE way financially or Las Ketchup is making some good money from the big ketchup maker as celebrity spokespersons.

Enjoy the video and song! (click those links above to hear/see them in the window's RealOne player)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#67668 - 10/11/02 02:37 AM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
Miguelito Offline

It has been the song of this summer.
The song has been nº1 in 11 european countries and 3 other more in Southamerica. There is a version in Spanish and another one in Spanglish and maybe they will sing now another one in mandarín, although the chorus is a fonetic aproximation to the one of rapper's delight.
Today there's an article in El País :
http://www.elpais.es/articulo.html?d_dat...nchor=elpepiult

#67669 - 10/11/02 10:59 AM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Las Ketchup in the USA??? Thanks so much for the heads up Marisa!!! When I studied in spain over the summer, my host brothers got me addicted to this group! laugh I have been trying to hunt down their cd here, with no luck of course....maybe soon though smile

#67670 - 10/11/02 12:05 PM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
We got the CD ( which includes a DVD with the song, the kareoke version and an intro to the song) thru Best Buy and it came within a few days. BTW my students felt so excited to have heard the song on the radio here in NY, they had already heard it in my class and saw the videoclip from the DVD and got a kick out of it.

#67671 - 10/11/02 02:35 PM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Wow!! thanks esperanza... I will definitely be ordering that cd laugh

#67672 - 10/14/02 11:29 PM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Las Ketchup definitely reached the usa! The Caroline Rhea show recently featured their music!( http://caroline.warnerbros.com/ ) smile smile smile

#67673 - 10/15/02 01:57 AM Re: Las Ketchup reach US!!!
Bocata King Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
OK, First let me say that normally I am a big fan of cheesy spanish pop music (mainly for nostalgic reasons), but Asereje? Come on! When I returned to Spain for two weeks this summer I was innundated with this song everywhere I turned, I really think spanish pop music has sunken to a new low- and when you consider that last spring/summer's hot song was Papa Levante's "Me pongo Colorada", you can begin to realize how low that is. Las Krap has simply taken Papa Levante's look (check out their stage show and horrible dance moves - they look awfully similiar), and stolen one of the first hip hop songs and massacred it with their terrible pronunciation!!

I could understand how the people of Spain could get caught up in the Las Krapchup (mainly the large amount of alcohol consumption and very little sleep), but dammit, I expect more out of my countrymen.

First I had to accept the fact that American Idol was a big hit in America, and now this!! Of all the wonderful things from spain we could of had imported to this country - the wine, flamenco, tapas, the women, SIESTAS - and we end up with Asereje.

Some Luck.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments