Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6765 - 03/27/04 08:01 AM My recent trip
Mily Offline

Loc: Chihuahua, Chih. México
Hello, I just came back from Spain and want to make a review to share my experiences over.
I made reservations through bancotel and chose capitol hotel for my first stay at Madrid. The hotel is horrible, old, smelly, the carpets are dirty, but it has great bathrooms and the people are really great. The location can't be better, just across Plaza del Callado on Gran Vía, so as soon as I stepped out of the hotel I felt in the middle of everything.
I was there on March 11th, and woke up to the sounds of ambulance sirens, I stayed in the hotel all day long as you could feel the horror of the events. The next day was still more impressive. I watched through my window as people from offices, stores, restaurants, banks, etc. got out to the street at noon and kept a minute of silence, the sound of that silence was overwhelming, an ambulance got through and people started clapping, it still brings tears to my eyes to remember that moment. It was a rainny day and later on I could see a huge flow of umbrellas flooding Gran Vía that suddenly got dark, no lights to make it alive. Spanish people showed us they were mourning, and we mourned with them.
I left Madrid on saturday towards Valencia, my experience there was incredible. I had reservations for the Ibis hotel in Alfafar, a suburb. The hotel was very american type, nice, clean, comfortable,modern, the bathroom had a great shower (no bath tub), a great bed, good tv, well, a nice american type motel, still with all the spanish hospitality. The rate was a nice surprise as well 49€ for a double room. We were at the beach, at the city center, and were lucky enough to be part of the fallas, an incredible experience. A pair of good comfortable shoes and a camera are a must. I had never walked as much as that week in Valencia!
I left for Madrid on the 20th. and had the Crowne Plaza for my second stay over. What a deception about that hotel. I never felt so cheated in my life. mad The lobby is nice, but you should see the room they gave me! It was so small I couldn't walk inside if I opened my suitcase. They didn't have individual air condition, it was hot (about 30ºC) and when I opened the window, they placed me just above the kitchen so the smell was awful. I called reception to complain and the clerk was very rude telling me if I wanted to smoke I had to have that room. I had to talk to the manager so they could give me a fan! That hotel is a no no for me from now on.
Anyway, as usual I fell in love with Spain and spaniards.

#6766 - 03/29/04 01:26 AM Re: My recent trip
fishball Offline

Loc: Singapore
hi Mily,

thanks for sharing such a detailed account of your stay in Spain. Guess that memories of 3/11 will forever be etched in your mind, even as a visitor in Spain.

One thing that I am quite fuzzy about is the temperature in March. Geez, if it's 30 degress, I wonder how hot it'll be in April and May.

Cheers.

#6767 - 03/29/04 02:52 AM Re: My recent trip
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Hi, fishball!
I'm afraid that the weather doesn't go that way up here. Weather is weather and we are in spring...the crazyest season! yesterday it was 32ºF (0ºC) here in Madrid and it was SNOWING!.
All the way from Madrid to Valencia was very snowy, there were a lot of problems in the road yesterday.
Valencia isn't much better now... it's about 45ªF (7ºC), windy and rainy.
But don't worry, the heat of the summer will come.
In general I use to fear that!

#6768 - 03/29/04 02:56 AM Re: My recent trip
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
One thing that I am quite fuzzy about is the temperature in March. Geez, if it's 30 degress, I wonder how hot it'll be in April and May.
We had a wonderful week in mid-March, but for the last 6 days, it has been raining, even a bit of snowing, and the highest temperatures were about 5 degrees centigrades.

In my experience, there's always one almost-summer week in March but after then, the temperatures go back to normal. I know it well because I use to get colds that way, dressing for summer the day the weather decides to normalize. smile

#6769 - 03/30/04 07:19 AM Re: My recent trip
fishball Offline

Loc: Singapore
hi deilbid and Torrales,

thanks for your weather alert. guess it's not too bad when I arrive here late next month. smile

but too bad I would have missed MM's big party! frown

Anyone for 'post-party' highlights the week after MM's one? :p

#6770 - 03/30/04 10:28 AM Re: My recent trip
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
For late April in Madrid expect:
- rain
- maximum temperatures around 20ºC
- minimum temperatures around 10ºC.

But I guarantee nothing! The weather is totally mad... smile

#6771 - 04/01/04 10:07 PM Re: My recent trip
Mily Offline

Loc: Chihuahua, Chih. México
Yes, in fact I got some snow myself, the weather changed from one day to another.
I hope you enjoy your visit, I always find Spain fantastic, the last thing you should think about is being uncomfortable in the summer. You'll probably enjoy the weather.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments