Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#67442 - 05/03/02 03:58 PM It Started With a Kiss
HannibalMO Offline

Loc: Hannibal, MO
Have any of you seen the 1959 movie starring Debbie Reynolds and Glenn Ford about a Navy Sargeant stationed in Madrid? It's a rather goofy bedroom comedy, but it has some neat on-location views of Madrid, Granada, and what appeared to be the aquaducts at Segovia...but I was confused how they got north of Madrid via Granada. There is bullfighter involved and Ava Gabor as a rich socialite. The main joke of the movie is how much the Spaniards love the fancy "batmobile" car that Ford wins in a raffle. Anyone else catch this recently on TMC?

#67443 - 05/03/02 06:55 PM Re: It Started With a Kiss
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Every weekend here and some holidays, they have this show called "Cine de Barrio" on television - Neighborhood Cinema. They invite these old actors and they chat (and sing... ugh) usually in breaks between old Spanish movies from the 50s and 60s. Serious Franco-era stuff.

Some of the movies are really pretty fun and the views of Spain from that era are sometimes unreal. Some streets are exactly the same and other areas are completely different... it's fun to try to figure out where they are.

Some, of course, are awful. But my mother-in-law and most people of her generation, love these movies so I've had to sit through a few bad ones during holiday visits to "el campo."

-Russ

#67444 - 05/05/02 11:47 AM Re: It Started With a Kiss
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Yes Hannibal, I remember watching that movie, since I just love Debbie Reynolds (Good morning, good mooorning!); and there's also a similar one starring Richard Kiley and our very own Carmen Sevilla.

LiM, I'd love to see the look on your face as you watch people like Gracita Morales or Paco Martinez Soria, ha, ha, ha!!!

#67445 - 05/07/02 09:06 AM Re: It Started With a Kiss
HannibalMO Offline

Loc: Hannibal, MO
Do you recall the name of the Richard Kiley movie? I'd like to see it before our trip to Madrid. Even thought he plots are bad, getting to see the city is fun. I felt the same way watching "Three Coins in a Fountain" and "Roman Holiday" after going to Italy.

#67446 - 05/07/02 09:17 AM Re: It Started With a Kiss
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Spanish Affair, Kiley plays an American architect who falls in love with Carmen Sevilla, his Spanish secretary. Excruciatingly amusing

#67447 - 05/23/02 10:50 AM Re: It Started With a Kiss
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
LiM: Did you notice that on TVE they're now pushing a video series of movies about the Spanish Civil War? There's something like 4-5 movies in a set that are all made just after the civil war, but deal with the civil war. I think one of them is called "Sin Novedad en el Alcázar" with reference to the defenders at the Toledo alcazar...anyone who's been at the site know the drill...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments