Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6725 - 03/17/04 06:57 AM Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
verdammt Offline

Just came back from my trip n hope this will help you folks with the planning.

Barcelona:
Hostal Opera- 44€ (dbl room with common bathroom)
Very good location, right beside the La Rambla. Nice n friendly staff n speaks quite good english. The best thing, is that they clean n pack up the room every morning! Isn't it nice to come back every evening to fresh, neatly folded bedsheets!

Granada:
Hostal Bumblebee-28€ (dbl room with common bathroom)
it is not located in the city centre,about 15min uphill climb. But thats the nicest thing about this hostal, as it is located in the former muslim quarters,atop a hill overlooking the city. So u'll get a wonderful view here. It is ran by a young couple. (guess the lady is an American) Very homely, definitely a must for anyone visiting Granada.

Cordoba:
Hostal Bagdad (34€ dbl room with bathroom)
Rather good location. Whats especially nice, its the hostal itself. It is so beautiful, that we just stayed in the room all the time. smile The staff speaks quite good english too.

#6726 - 03/17/04 09:13 AM Re: Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
El Dougo Offline

Bumblebee Granada

Hostal Bagdad Córdoba.

#6727 - 03/17/04 02:30 PM Re: Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
arizbe Offline

Does Hostal Opera in Barcelona has a website ? How was the location? How I get in touch with them?
Thank you for your information

#6728 - 03/17/04 05:41 PM Re: Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
The hostal opera does not have a web site or, for that matter, a fax machine. I made my reservation through phone. The number is: 93-318-82-01.

I haven't yet stayed at the hostal. I read some excellent reviews of it at TripAdvisor.com. I must add that your current review puts me, even more, at ease. I'll be there in late May and, actually, am looking forward to my stay there.

I don't know Barcelona...Madrid, on the other hand, is another story all together. I lived there for several years.

Thanks for the info on Opera.

Sheryl

#6729 - 03/17/04 07:29 PM Re: Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
halfcreek Offline

So Sheryl,
What your recommendation for a family of four for a two night stay in Barcelona?
Thanks,
halfcreek

#6730 - 03/17/04 07:52 PM Re: Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
Sheryl Offline

Sorry...I can't answer that...my experience with Barcelona is, practically, nil. I made a reservation for my husband and myself, as well as another colleague, at the Hostal Opera. Based on all that I have read, it appears to be fine.

By the way, I opted for a room with a private bath...I don't want to be walking the halls in the middle of the night.

Sheryl

#6731 - 03/17/04 08:39 PM Re: Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
arizbe Offline

Sheryl... how much was the room in opera?. and is it in a good location?. This will be my first time in Barcelona, or Spain, and I am overwhelm with information.
Thank you for your help.

#6732 - 03/17/04 10:54 PM Re: Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
Sheryl Offline

Well, let's see if I can answer your questions...a double room, with a "cama matrimonial" and private bath is 55 euros a night; a single "individual" with private bath is 35/night.

As to the location...I know that it is next door, or across the street, from the Barcelona Opera House. It's within, according to what I was told, walking distance to the Plaça Catalunya and about 5-10 minutes from the University.

Most places in Spain are within walking distance of everything. Are the streets safe? I know they are in Madrid...probably safe, as well, in Barcelona. But, let me add...I was raised in a major city (NYC to be exact) and I always keep my eyes open. I never, by the way, carry a pocketbook. Any thing I need, I carry in my pockets...it's harder to get to then a bag which is easy picking.

For the most part, though, I wouldn't be hesitant. Enjoy yourself.

Sheryl

#6733 - 03/18/04 12:05 AM Re: Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
El Dougo Offline

Don't know if this site is current, but they list an email address for Hostal Opera as info@hostalopera. com
Here is a picture and map. Seems to be on a pedestrian only street, too (gray-shaded).

#6734 - 03/25/04 04:23 PM Re: Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
laskamarie Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA
How convenient was that location for you (as far as getting to Parc Guell and Catedral Familia Sagrada?).

#6735 - 03/30/04 01:00 PM Re: Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
verdammt Offline

Parc Guell and Catedral Familia Sagrada are quite far away from Hostal Opera and I would suggest taking the subway there. I guess it will take 30-45min by foot from Catedral to the hostel.
However do keep in mind that these 2 locations are not really located in the city centre. The main bustling area is still La Rambla

#6736 - 03/31/04 08:18 AM Re: Hostel Reviews: Barcelona, Granada, Cordoba
roothy123 Offline

If you want to be more centrally located BETWEEN the Ramblas and Parc Guell (which IS pretty far north), you might want to stay closer to Placa Catalunya. You'd be closer to the Gaudi buildings (Eixample area) as well. Of course, that will put you farther away from the Ramblas and everything in the more central, southern part of the city. Hostals Goya, San Remo, Lazza, Que Tal, Eden, Barcelona Home Guest House and maybe Girona come to mind for a little bit farther north than Ramblas, but still close to metro and buses. However, I haven't stayed at any of these places (making my first trip to Barcelona in May; staying at Hostal Goya).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments