Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66576 - 05/14/01 11:55 AM great 'spanish' book for flight????
kim Offline

Loc: usa
Two days to go before my first trip to Madrid, and a thought crossed my mind. What will I read on the flight?
What a perfect time to read the best of Spanish literature, and who better to seek advice from than.......MadridMan's forum of Spain loving adventurers?
So, my question to you is.......which book will be the perfect way to start this journey? Which book will teach me about the history, the people, the culture, the 'Way of Spain'?
Novel, poetry, short stories, non-fiction, fiction, anything that captures the essence of Spain.
Thank you in advance for your inspiring recommendation!
laugh

#66577 - 05/14/01 03:23 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow! Great question! You might want to read through other Spain-related book threads in this forum like \"Are these books good?\" & \"Travelers' Tales Spain (a book)\" . I just did a search and found these two among many.

OR (hehee...), you could print out and read my Madrid/Spain journals from my 2000 , 1999 , 1998 , & 1995 trips. BUT, I doubt these are as stimulating as a real book. rolleyes laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66578 - 05/14/01 08:26 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
Wendy E Offline

How about instead of a book, Hola magazine. I love Hola magazine (too bad it costs $8 a pop stateside).

#66579 - 05/14/01 11:16 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You know, I ALWAYS have GREAT intentions on transatlantic flights, always taking a good book like a Hemingway or other Spain-related book. But in the end, I invariably only watch the in-flight movies, talk to those around me, and read through the in-flight magazines. I also take my Yahoo Internet Life or Frommer's Budget Travel magazines.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66580 - 05/16/01 07:20 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Hi Kim, my absolute favorit novel is "El Arbol de la Ciencia" by Pio Baroja. An amazing Novel set in Madrid and you can get a great feel of Spain and Madrid as you read through it's pages. It is a bit long and deep for a plane ride though and your Spanish has to be excellent in order to follow it. Oh, well, just a suggestion.
Jer... laugh

#66581 - 05/16/01 09:40 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
jensdog Offline

Loc: Houston, TX 77006
Anyone actually read Iberia by James Michener?

#66582 - 05/16/01 10:22 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I read "Iberia" about 10 years ago, and liked it. It's dense, though, and perhaps a bit much for (my kind of) plane trips. I like the "Hola!" idea...I always load up on Spanish magazines for the flight home--it keeps me from getting too depressed about leaving Spain. I also listen to the films in Spanish, rather than in English.

I liked Mark Williams' "The Story of Spain" as an introduction to Spanish history. It doesn't contain exhaustive lists of kings and queens, but it does hit on some of the ones you're most likely to hear about.

Tara smile

#66583 - 05/17/01 08:31 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
cantabene Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD, USA
I have a first edition of "Iberia," bought when it was first published in 1968. Michener is always a wonderful teller of stories. His descriptions of various cities are easy reading. Michener's observations on the Prado and the painting and people depicted are entertaining as well as informative.

The nice thing about this work, like so many by Michener, is that you can open it anywhere and become immediately absorbed.

When I first bought this book I corresponded briefly with Michener over some our Spanish experiences. We both lived in Pennsylvania at the time. I in Philadelphia, he in Bucks County. He was most gracious, and his letters were charming.

His comments on the politics of the period are dated now. But his stories are timeless.
Cantabene

#66584 - 05/17/01 09:03 PM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
cantabene, I'm so impressed. Michener has been a hero of mine since my childhood when I first heard of him from the TV series Aventures in Paradise (really was nothing to do w/his book!I had such a crush on the captain of the "Tiki") Michener was my inspiration to travel and to not only explore the sights but the culture of the places I visit. I was unaware of the book Iberia.

#66585 - 05/18/01 11:11 AM Re: great 'spanish' book for flight????
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
I read James Michener's Iberia years ago. It's a "must read" before visiting Spain and a great travelling companion!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments