Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#66263 - 01/03/01 11:45 AM Book: Culinaria Spain
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Does anyone have this book or have a review? I saw it at Costco but they got snapped up and now I see it at Amazon for $5 more. Looked pretty good when I leafed through it at the store but I would like to know more if I'm gonna drop down $32 + shipping. Anybody know anything?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/3829019653/qid%3D978538976/107-2257263-4002941

Leche

#66264 - 01/03/01 01:51 PM Re: Book: Culinaria Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Leche, I don't know the book but did get email notification from Amazon that they now have a outlet division for everything. http://www.amazon.com/outlet/
You might want to check to see if the book is there.

#66265 - 01/06/01 12:50 AM Re: Book: Culinaria Spain
sheba Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN USA
Leche,

Finally! Something I know something about so that I don't just have to sit on here looking like a completely inept spano-loafer (hehe). I love the culinaria series, but then I'm a food book junkie. I read all the restaurant reviews, new cookbooks, and watch the t.v. shows just for fun. I used to get four different culinary magazines. I love, love, love food. But I would not suggest Culinaria for people who are serious about food. They tend to be general overviews of a country and it's cooking.

There are some recipes, but (as I've found in Culinaria Italy, Europe, Hungary, and America) these recipes are often ones that you will already have if you know anything about cooking and can be disappointing. What's worse, the recipes tend to be superbland versions of everything.

What Culinaria is good for is if you just want a book that will give you a good feel for the way food is viewed by a culture, how it is produced, and great big beautiful color photos of ripe harvests, hardy citizens and barrels of finished product. I love the books because they make great presents and great coffee table books and they are often put on sale.

The ones where I work have been continuously priced at $19.95. Please don't pay full price for this as this series is great, but is most likely to be fairly priced.

#66266 - 01/06/01 11:37 PM Re: Book: Culinaria Spain
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Nice! thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'm not really looking for a gourmet book and I must admit that I am not yet fully familiar with food from ALL regions of Spain (that could take a lifetime!) so it sounds like an interesting book to me (lots of good pics too!).

So tell me this....where can I get it for $19.95??!

Leche

#66267 - 01/08/01 07:29 AM Re: Book: Culinaria Spain
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Hi, I actually have this book, as it was the only Culinaria book at Borders on the sale table, I wonder why? anyway, i enjoyed the book and refer to it for it´s beautiful pictures and the information it gives on various varieties of cheeses, olive oils and wines...If it is on sale, this big book is worth the 20-30 dollars you are going to spend for it!!!!! I agree with the post above on the recipe part, for recipes, refer to Penelope Casas and her books.

#66268 - 01/10/01 04:24 PM Re: Book: Culinaria Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Leche,

I saw it too, and was pretty angry when I got the "American" version for Christmas...the Costco here has it for $20 too, and I'll send it to you priority mail if you want (that's $3.95 for shipping). Let me know via my personal e-mail. The book I got was good, so I assume the "All Spain" version is the same. The consultants on it are Williams-Sonoma, which as we all know, know their food.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments