Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65932 - 10/31/00 03:24 AM Almodovar Movies
Xena Offline

Loc: Bucharest
Does anyone know where I can buy some Almodovar movies in Spanish with English subtitles or in English with Spanish subtitles?

#65933 - 10/31/00 08:57 AM Re: Almodovar Movies
Guynes Offline

Loc: Livingston, AL, USA
Amazon.com has almost all the titles, but the prices are a bit high on some. You can also pick them up on any of the internet auction sites -- ebay usually has a good selection offered. Most of the used ones go for under $10.

[This message has been edited by Guynes (edited 10-31-2000).]

#65934 - 10/31/00 02:05 PM Re: Almodovar Movies
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello Xena! If you want MANY of Pedro Almodóvar's movies, please first consider those I have posted in the MOVIES categories of MadridMan's ALL Spain Market .

Almodóvar titles include:
  • All About My Mother
  • Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
  • Kika
  • Live Flesh
  • The Flower of My Secret
  • Dark Habits
  • Labyrinth of Passion

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65935 - 10/31/00 04:31 PM Re: Almodovar Movies
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Too bad they don't release some of the older titles on DVD though. I could never cough up 20 bucks for a VHS tape anymore when the DVD version is close to the same price and of much superior quality and longer lasting. Strange they only issued Todo sobre mi madre and ....Kika on DVD so far! Kika? It was good but there are much better almodovar films to release on DVD than Kika. Not to mention that Live Flesh is newer and much better.

Leche

#65936 - 11/01/00 03:36 AM Re: Almodovar Movies
Xena Offline

Loc: Bucharest
I am in region 2 for DVD and Pal for vhs so I must buy them from Spain or Europe; maybe from Amazon.co.uk; thanks anyway

#65937 - 11/01/00 11:43 AM Re: Almodovar Movies
Leche Offline

Xena...you can still support MadridMan by clicking through his links and then linking over to the amazon.co.uk store (just go to the site map link on the bottom and then to the UK store). I believe the affiliate ID code transfers across the different country stores for Amazon.

Leche

#65938 - 11/01/00 07:55 PM Re: Almodovar Movies
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Hee hee...can't resist putting in my two pesetas worth on this:

Although unrelated, the best Almodóvar movie in my opinion is "Women on the Verge..."

I love the "Mambo Taxi"!!!

#65939 - 11/02/00 12:40 PM Re: Almodovar Movies
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Women on the Verge is definitely the best, as far as I'm concerned too! It was the first I saw several years ago and it is still the funniest.

#65940 - 11/02/00 01:07 PM Re: Almodovar Movies
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Tie me Up Tie me Down was really up there. High Heels was so good too. I never really got into Women on the Verge. Maybe if I watched it again...

I loved All about my mother. I saw that recently. Part if was probably me going through withdrawal for anything Spanish, but I found it very moving nonetheless.

#65941 - 11/02/00 02:28 PM Re: Almodovar Movies
Leche Offline

"Women" is good ... but it is from his very campy period. Almodovar started to really mature as a filmmaker with Flower Of My Secret but started to get some substance into his films with Live Flesh (allegorical history of Spain). All About My Mother, his latest is his "masterpiece" receiving the most international acclaim he's ever gotten. It's his most mature and relevant film to date which relies on his most prominent subject....the relationships between women. Even treating and examining this from ALL angles (some you would never even think of!) he manages to include the stuff he is known for....drug abuse, illicit sex, and pregnant nuns! It's pure Almodovar but in a more relevant context this time. Best part of the DVD issue is the informal chat with the man himself in the bonus section.

Leche

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments