Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#65926 - 11/19/00 10:31 PM Travelers' Tales Spain (a book)
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I checked this book out of the public library, and I'm not even half way through, but I couldn't wait any longer to share. This book is FANTASTIC! It's a collection of 50 some writings by lots of different writers - none are Spanish - about their experiences in Spain. Many are professional journalists, and they include fascinating historical information as well as contemporary stuff. Lucy McCauley, who collected the pieces and did the editing, adds more bits of information in the margins and after the pieces. It's extremely well done, and the quality of the writing is superb. I'm definitely going to buy a copy. (And if I go the amazon.com route, I'll go via Madridman's site - the least I can do for the guy who gives us this board and lets me rant about Spain!)

I'd recommend this book to anyone planning on visiting Spain as a way to gain understanding of the country and it's people, and also to anyone who already knows and loves Spain like I do. Many of the intense feelings for Spain that appear between the lines in this message board are in this book as well. Lots of times in the last few days I've wanted to run to my computer to post a message to all you guys out there and say - Hey, listen to what this person wrote about Spain! Can't you relate! What do you think! But I'm restraining myself, and keeping to this recommendation!

If any of you out there have read this book, I'd love to hear what you thought!

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 11-19-2000).]

#65927 - 11/19/00 11:11 PM Re: Travelers' Tales Spain (a book)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Sounds like a GREAT book, Diana!!! Thanks for the tip. And, since you mentioned it, I've added it to the BOOKS>NONFICTION category of MadridMan's ALL Spain Market .

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65928 - 11/20/00 07:59 PM Re: Travelers' Tales Spain (a book)
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Hi Diana, I read that book about 2 years ago, and I totally loved it as well! Talk about an alternative to a travel book. I loved to read the stories about the places I already knew, and got caught up in the writings of places I had never been, makes me want to visit every little corner of Spain! I just wish I could write as well as those writers in the book.

#65929 - 11/21/00 01:07 AM Re: Travelers' Tales Spain (a book)
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
I LOVE this book!! I go to the bookstore around the corner from my office maybe twice a week at lunch to read a section from it. I'm becoming quite a regular there. The opening sections are a real hook.

#65930 - 11/21/00 02:42 AM Re: Travelers' Tales Spain (a book)
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Yes I agree with everyone that it is an awesome book!!!!! I like it so much that I have two copies (one which has writing all over and one which does not).

#65931 - 11/22/00 08:29 AM Re: Travelers' Tales Spain (a book)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm breaking one of my own rules... and... I'm a little ashamed to even mention it, but... what the heck (at least it falls under the proper forum heading ).

If you please, for all those who ever shop Amazon.com for anything at all (including non-Spain-related stuff), MadridMan.com would greatly appreciate it if you would consider going through either the Amazon.com search/home box on any MadridMan.com pages or through MadridMan's ALL Spain Market . So, instead of typing a-m-a-z-o-n-DOT-c-o-m into your brower, consider clicking-through the MadridMan site instead. Thanks a lot!!

AND, just to keep with the thread, I'm putting the book, Travelers' Tales: Spain, on my Christmas list. Looks like an easy-to-choose-present for the parents to get me.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving to all 'Americans' reading this! I'll be spending the day, tomorrow (only) in southern Ohio with my father's side of the family. I love this reunion - just once each year.

Very sincerely, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments