MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#65922 - 11/19/00 01:46 PM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Jaime! If you forgot to add something to a previous post, you can edit it by click on the pen/paper icon next to your posting, enter your username/password, and edit your text.

And yes, unfortunately MOST OF US DON'T know the difference between accents. How do you explain that terrible John Lithgow TV-movie: Don Quixote: Man a la Mancha where everyone (nearly) had thick, BRITISH accents??? AND it was a made-in-the-USA movie too!!! How pitiful!!

This reminds me of the scene in the Jim Carey movie DUMB AND DUMBER. In the beginning of the movie, Jim Carey is chaufeurring an empty limosine, sees a pretty girl waiting for a bus and stops, crawls in the backseat, lowers the powered tinted windows and tries to "make time" with the young lady.....

[Carey] Excuse me, miss! Could you give me directions to the medical college? You see, I'm giving a lecture there today and am running a little late.
[Woman with accent] Yes. Take the next left and it's the 2nd building on the right.
[Carey] My! That's a beautiful accent you have there. New Jersey?
[Woman gruffly] Austria.
[Carey with accent] Well then!! G'day, mate! Better throw another shrimp on the barbie!

It's a 'dumb' scene, but illustrates a point about how sadly common this is.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65923 - 11/19/00 02:38 PM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Unless I missed it, no one mentioned "All About My Mother" Penelope had a great role in that movie.
She is going to be in another American movie at the end of this year called "All the Pretty Horses". She co-stars with Matt Damon. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

#65924 - 11/20/00 10:44 AM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Penelope Cruz and Tom Cruise are filming the American version of Abre los Ojos, film that I thought it was great. I am sad because amenabar (the spanish director) made that movie without a lot of resources and with a lot of imagination and now Tom Cruies will make the same movies but with millions of dollars and the movie will look much better so it will be Tom Cruises' movie and nobody will ever know that the real movie is the Spaniard one too bad that Europe has the arty and America the money, they should try to combine.
besos

#65925 - 11/21/00 02:47 AM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
ilovemadrid Offline

Loc: Hawaii
I agree with you Nuria. I wonder how the American version will be like because the Spanish version was great... that movie really made me think. I watched it three times. The first time, obviously, to see it, the second time to understand it better and the third time to hear the great ACCENTS. Also Eduardo Noriega is MUCH MORE HANDSOME and cute than Tom Cruise.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments