Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#65912 - 11/02/00 05:40 PM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I was so tempted to see Woman On Top....if only for the food = sex scenes. But after the TERRIBLE scathing reviews I decided it's a good one to rent for a buck.

Leche

#65913 - 11/02/00 06:31 PM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
"Butterfly" (in spanish "La lengua de las mariposas") was one of my last year's favorite movies. It's great. I hope you enjoy it.

"Todo es mentira" is not a very good movie however it's quite funny and I laughed a lot watching it. The actor is called Coque Malla and was the leader of a rock band called "Los Ronaldos".

[This message has been edited by Castiza (edited 11-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Castiza (edited 11-02-2000).]

#65914 - 11/02/00 06:55 PM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Can't beat a good food=sex scene.

Castiza, what were some popular songs by los ronaldos? I think I remember one being really popular, something about being a loser... It was popular a few years ago - like 1993/1994.

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 11-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 11-02-2000).]

#65915 - 11/03/00 07:11 AM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
francisco Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi Nicole,

I'm not Castiza but anyway, I think that you are talking about a song called "Idiota" .

Another songs (older) that were also very popular:
-Adiós, papá
-Por las noches
-Sí, sí, sí

Saludos

#65916 - 11/03/00 08:11 AM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Leche, like you, I heard the same about Cruz' "Woman On Top". Too bad too, but I suppose when foreign actresses (and actors) are trying to break into the Hollywood Film Market they'll take almost anything (no matter how bad) that's offered to them just to get the US credits and experience. Look at Antonio Banderas' " Desperado ". Not a good movie at all...AND, at no fault to him, he could barely speak English at this point. BUT, he took this job as a "starter" (I suspect) to get his foot in the proverbial Hollywood door.

Penélope Cruz and many MANY other actors have to do what they can to make MORE MONEY, go on to BIGGER projects, some may aspire to live in the USA (but I can't imagine why if they have a nice place in Málaga like Antonio did/does). But what a step DOWN for Penélope - going from some wonderful Almodóvar movies to..... "Woman On Top"!? BUT, she IS the "star" of this movie and one of her first as such in the USA.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65917 - 11/03/00 01:14 PM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I saw Butterfly last night.... It seemed to be going wonderfully till it ended on an abrupt note. They could have put so much more into the ending. Sorry if this is a spoiler but when Moncho gives in with his family and starts taunting his teacher and mentor my heart just dropped. I suppose there's more than one way to look at it but it was a very sad film which could have really revealed more depth to the characters.

Leche

#65918 - 11/03/00 01:17 PM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Francisco. You were right. It was "idiota."
Man, that song drove me nuts; they used to play it ALL THE TIME..te lo digo a la cara, te lo digo a la cara.

I knew I recognized Coque's face when I saw that movie. I haven't actually heard any of their other songs..

lECHE!! YOU RUINED IT! just kidding, I will probably go see it anyway.

Has anyone else seen "Goya in Bordeaux." It was sucha wonderful film. The direction was really interesting, the way it had a stage-like feel, and the use of colors so similar to those in Goya's paintings. I have to admit, I am not an enormous Goya fan, although I do appreciate his work. But, it is a good sign when a movie inspires me to run out to the library in order to learn more about the artist his/her obras - which this movie did.

I wrote a term paper on him in high school, but had forgotten a lot about him, so I have had a lot of fun "rediscovering" his work lately.

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 11-03-2000).]

#65919 - 11/13/00 10:26 PM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
alejandro Offline

Loc: Texas
One of Penelope's earlier films is Belle Epoque. It is a good, not great movie, but has some funny moments in it.

#65920 - 11/19/00 12:52 PM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
Jaime Offline

I took a Spansh film class and we pretty much saw all of Penelope Cruz's films. I liked Jamon the best and Belle Epoque was pretty funny too. However, Woman on Top was pathetic! What I didn't really like is that she is supposed to be a Brazilian but still had her heavy Spanish accent. I think Brazilian culture is one of the most sterotyped in the U.S.(Carmen Miranda fruit basket mentality) I guess the studio execs were just counting on Americans being so stupid that they would think a Spaniard and a Brazilian sound the same. Most do unfortunately! I have a good recommendation for una pelicula espanola that is not a Cruz movie...Cartas de Alou. It is one of the best I have ever seen.

#65921 - 11/19/00 12:55 PM Re: Movies with Penelope Cruz
Jaime Offline

Whe I said in the previous post "Most do unfortunately" I am referring to Americans usually not knowing the difference between two different accents, NOT that they do sound the same.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments