Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#65741 - 11/05/08 07:45 AM Bin Laden's son
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
I read an article in El Pais yesterday about Bin Ladins so arriving to Barrajas and asking for Politcal Asylum in Spain .... It struck me as very odd ... I dont know why. I havent heard anything about it on the news here in the states - gee I wonder what they have been busy covering :-) But maybe I will today ... Has it been big news in Spain? What are the thoughts there? I think the article said he was being held at the airport until they decide what to do with him .. Do you think it will be granted? Hmmmm interesting times we are living in.

#65742 - 11/05/08 09:12 AM Re: Bin Laden's son
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Yes it's true ... But websites like 20minutos.es don't seem to be covering it so much . UNder Spanish law , the authorities have to make a decision within 72 hours of his arrival at Barajas airport .
Spain , of course , is no stranger to terrorism .Bombs explode almost every month , planted by ETA .. and Spain has been affected by the Al Quaeda terrorists . The dreadful bombing at Atocha rail station on 11th March 2004 , killing 191 people and wounding 1,755 people was "inspired" by Al Quaeda .
As you can imagine , the Spanish , and especially the people of Madrid , are going to find it difficult to accept Bin Laden's son being here .
We have to remember that Bin Laden's son is not a terrorist ... but his association will not go unrecognised .
I don't think they will grant political asylum to him .
Steve

#65743 - 11/05/08 10:52 AM Re: Bin Laden's son
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
http://madridman.com/blog-madrid/2008/11/son-of-osama-bin-laden-seeks-asylum-in-spain.html

As I wrote in the aforementioned blog:

Quote:

How would YOU feel about this if you were a resident or citizen of Spain? Our initial reaction is shock and probably fear. But are we responsible for the actions of our parents?
Maybe not. But, according to the El País article, this guy WAS trained in an Afghan terrorist camp until 2000. eek I too would doubt Spain would grant him political asylum - but somewhere like Switzerland probably would.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65744 - 11/05/08 10:56 AM Re: Bin Laden's son
CascadaDuSel Offline

I doubt they will grant him as well - apparently he asked for asylum in England and was denied so I doubt Spain will. I guess I am surprised the story hasnt been covered much yet in the states..

#65745 - 11/05/08 09:36 PM Re: Bin Laden's son
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

The New York Times and the Associated Press both reported about the request for asylum yesterday (November 4). However, I think with all the excitement of the election, it wasn't high on list of news for the day!

#65746 - 11/06/08 07:50 AM Re: Bin Laden's son
CascadaDuSel Offline

Looks like they just denied him ...

#65747 - 11/06/08 08:35 AM Re: Bin Laden's son
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

That's probably the best thing. Watch, Switzerland will eventually grant him asylum. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65748 - 11/06/08 12:14 PM Re: Bin Laden's son
Yankaluz Offline

Loc: SoCal, USA
He is VERY well off, I don't know why he doesn't just buy a little island somewhere and a personal security force and just lounge in a low profile at peace.

And from what I gather he isnt as innocent as portrayed, some skeletons exist such as the training camp and such,,, dunno but I think that he has plenty of resources to live happy someplace...

#65749 - 11/08/08 09:24 PM Re: Bin Laden's son
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

USAToday.com reported HERE :

Quote:

Bin Laden's son rejected by Spain, questioned in Cairo

MADRID, Spain (AP) — The son of al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden was questioned at the Cairo airport by Egyptian officials on Saturday after his application for asylum in Spain was rejected, said an airport security official.

Omar Osama bin Laden sought asylum in Spain, claiming he wound not be safe if returned to an Arab country. Spain said his application did not meet its requirements. Bin Laden, 27, and his wife were then sent back to Egypt, where they have lived for the past year.

Egyptian officials said they were opening an investigation to determine what prompted the couple to seek political asylum in Spain.

The Egyptian airport official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press, said a decision had not yet been made to allow them in the country.

Zaina Alsabah, the younger bin Laden's 52-year-old British wife, told the Associated Press by phone that the couple had applied for asylum in Spain because their residency permits in Cairo were not renewed and they had been threatened.

"We knew we weren't safe, if we stayed (in Egypt) we would be imprisoned," she said. "Our lives are in danger, we've been threatened already. We've been threatened by two princes in the Bin Laden family."

The Bin Ladens are an influential construction family in Saudi Arabia. Alsabah has appealed to Saudi King Abdullah to protect them.

"We believe that the king could help us and the king could give us protection," she said.

The younger bin Laden, 27, flew to Spain on Monday with his wife and asked for asylum, spending a week in a transit area at Madrid's Barajas Airport while his case was considered.

Interior Minister Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba confirmed that bin Laden's son had been deported, saying his application for asylum did not meet any Spanish requirements. The Interior Ministry denied his bid on Wednesday, and turned back the appeal Friday night.

The government says it usually seeks a recommendation from the U.N. refugee agency in asylum request cases, and that the agency had also recommended against asylum.

Omar Osama bin Laden — one of the al-Qaeda leader's 19 children — caused a tabloid storm last year after marrying a British woman, a 52-year-old who changed her name to Zaina Alsabah.

The couple have been living in Cairo. The younger bin Laden has not renounced his father, but has said he wants to be an "ambassador for peace" between the Muslim world and the West.

Osama bin Laden is believed to be hiding in the Pakistan-Afghan border region.

The younger bin Laden moved to Afghanistan with his father in 1996 after living with him in Sudan, and trained at an al-Qaeda camp. But Omar has said he has not seen his father since he left Afghanistan in 2000 and returned to his homeland of Saudi Arabia.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments