Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#65706 - 09/10/08 12:15 PM Madrid: MadridMan, How's the weather?
CascadaDuSel Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL (sometimes Madrid - ...
So did it REALLY flood in Madrid today? .. I hadnt heard this anywhere else and MSNBC.com has a weird video on their site... was there really water running through the metro entrances like rivers???

#65707 - 09/10/08 01:11 PM Re: Madrid: MadridMan, How's the weather?
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Yeah there was ! Atocha metro station was flooded !! In some parts of the city the hail was falling as big as chestnuts ( buckeyes ) .. I live on the top floor ( 6th ) and the noise was asonishing . We had a dinner party here and my flatmate had just turned in ... A half hour later he was with me in the living room , trying to secure shutters etc.... . We had some damage here but not too bad . I love it .. The lightning was beautiful ! Better than a rock concert , Steve .

Cascadadusel, http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/410628/0/granizo/bomberos/madrid/ this is a link to 20minutos.com ....

#65708 - 09/10/08 01:26 PM Re: Madrid: MadridMan, How's the weather?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
You know, I really don't know!! Believe that?! But I wouldn't be at all surprised.

I watched TeleMadrid this morning for 2 hours and the only thing they showed the whole time, ON ALL CHANNELS, were the congressional debates between Rajoy and Zapatero about the state of "La Crisis Económica". rolleyes So after 2 hours of these two guys verbally beating each other up I went to the gym and haven't turned on the TV since.

When I walked to the gym it was an odd sight. You could barely see the ground on the sidewalks because they were completely covered with leaves pelted down by the storm. Leaves and small branches clogged the storm sewer intakes. Mud covered some intersections and cross walks where it was at lower level.

I'd searched for photos or video of the floods and hail storm but couldn't find any - yet. It's too early for these things to show up on search engine searches. I did a search of the MSNBC.com site and got not related results.

But it's not too strange for the metro stations to flood. It doesn't happen often but I know it's happened at least once already this year in some stations.

We had lightning and some rain and lightning at about 11pm but it stopped within 1 hour. Then at 1am I was awakened by some HARD rain. First only small pea-sized hail stones fell for the first 10 minute. That was cool. But then it soon sounded like the sky was literally falling when the hail stones reached marble size. That is to say, it was marble-sized in diameter because they were HALVED! It was like a marble was cut perfectly in half.

I was sure they were going to break the windows but they didn't. And when it hails like that it makes the strangest noise when it's falling on asphalt in the city as opposed to on the dirt & grass in the country - where I'm more used to hearing in in Ohio.

I looked outside and with the hard rain were all these hail stones intermixed. The ground was white and the rushing waters were carrying their millions of little hail stones along with it along the ditches and road's edge. I stuck my head out the terraza only for a second because I feared one of these stones would hit me in the eye, blinding me forever. For the next hour after the hail stopped I heard (and saw) some nearby neighbors shoveling and sweeping hail on their terrazas into tall piles. It was wild! Some friends told me today that their clay/ceramic plant pots on their terraza were destroyed too.

I was very excited to see and experience this rare storm here in Madrid. I really miss them. We had storms of all kinds with great frequency but here it's rare to even have a lot of wind, let alone thunder and lightning or hail!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65709 - 09/11/08 05:28 AM Re: Madrid: MadridMan, How's the weather?
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
Would you believe I didn't get the storm where I live ? So when I arrived here yesterday I was a bit surprised to find leaves all over the floor and mud splashed up the windows.

I then spent an hour or so cleaning up, while having a chat with my neighbour as she explained what had happened. Sol and Atocha were badly affected, apparently.

#65710 - 09/13/08 06:11 AM Re: Madrid: MadridMan, How's the weather?
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Thought i'd post this link so you guys can see what happened in Madrid .. Nothing to compare with USA right now ( I hope board members in Texas and Louisiana are safe ) .. But it's pretty unusual for Europe ... Steve

http://www.20minutos.es/galeria/5181/0/0/

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 929 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments