Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#65367 - 10/23/06 12:56 AM What is up with all this RAIN!
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I know we need it to replenish the aquifer but it has rained EVERY day for a week now...........We need to see the sun.......and Madrid drivers SUCK at driving in the rain......lol

#65368 - 10/23/06 07:54 AM Re: What is up with all this RAIN!
quique Offline

Loc: alcala de henares
The sun? Oh, that light on the sky...

#65369 - 10/23/06 08:18 AM Re: What is up with all this RAIN!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It's true! It's been raining like crazy all over Spain! Look at the floods in Pontevedra! Just saw the new of this near catastrophe this morning. WOW!

Drivers who aren't accustomed to driving in any weather go into shock whenever raindrops/snowflakes fall. Makes me, a midwestern United Statesen boy, chuckle - but only because I'm not stuck in those traffic jams for hours.

I say, LET IT RAIN all month long! I'll work around it - but must admit I've hardly left home since it started BECAUSE of the rain.

Yesterday before lunch I had a very pleasant 2-hour stroll through Madrid's Retiro Park from under a large umbrella so it didn't matter much but it was SO nice and smelled so good.

UPDATE: Just saw the weather report and, at least here in Madrid, it's going to rain through Thursday. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65370 - 10/24/06 09:34 AM Re: What is up with all this RAIN!
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I've been coming to Madrid ever since 1990 and it traditionally rains in October. Ok, so it sometimes only lasts 2 or 3 days, but it's very regular in its mid-October arrival spot.

#65371 - 10/24/06 10:03 AM Re: What is up with all this RAIN!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I heard on yesterdays news that it hasn't rained this much in October (in Madrid?) since 1960. And looks like we're going to break THAT record too as it's expected to rain more today, tomorrow, and Thursday!

Galicia has been hit HARD as has some regions near Seville! I saw another report that Guadalajara (not too far from Madrid) had a Roman Bridge swept away in the torrent. What a shame! Those things don't come down easily!

But it all really is incredible. Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#65372 - 10/24/06 02:54 PM Re: What is up with all this RAIN!
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
I heard on yesterdays news that it hasn't rained this much in October (in Madrid?) since 1960. And looks like we're going to break THAT record too as it's expected to rain more today, tomorrow, and Thursday!
You're kidding me! I can't believe that. Maybe it's true, but I'm a little skeptical, I have to admit. I can recall some pretty rainy Octobers.

In any event, I'm with you 100%, LET IT RAIN. Forgive me MedicalMan laugh . I know it must be tough for you out in Majadahonda where using your car is a necessity, but this rain is needed and more.

As of Saturday, the reservoirs were on average at 39% their capacity. If it doesn't rain at this time of year, we're stuck with the need for it to snow in the winter and rain in the spring.

Spain's going through its worst drought in 70 years. The last time it rained in Madrid seriously was last April! That means we've gone through at least 150 days without anyserious rainfall, so I think a week isn't that bad.

But it's funny, because MedicalMan is not alone in his complaint. I've heard plenty of Spaniard's sort of half-welcome the rain. They like it but say, "Why can't it rain just at night?"

#65373 - 10/24/06 04:51 PM Re: What is up with all this RAIN!
MedicalMan Offline

Murdy........I'm not complaining. I know we need some serious rain to make up for the drought. I don't have to water my grass, so I'm saving money. I wish most drivers would SLOW down in all this rain though. Seems like you take your life in your hands when you get on the freeways here in the rain. I have been driving like everyone is out to get me this past week....and it has saved me from a few idiots this past week.

#65374 - 10/24/06 06:27 PM Re: What is up with all this RAIN!
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I definitely agree with you there, MedicalMan. And the minute a few drops fall in Madrid, traffic comes to a complete standstill. I know you weren't complaining in a serious way, and sorry if I made it sound that way. And even if you had been, it would be understandable. I happy about the rain, but it can get on my nerves too. At school the kids are going nuts because every time it's time for recess, what do you know, a downpour comes around, and they can't go out!!

#65375 - 10/25/06 08:56 AM Re: What is up with all this RAIN!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Anyone here in Spain see the video this morning of the fast-moving RIVER waters and mud through the city streets of La/A Coruña? WOW! They said entire populations of berberechos and other molluscs have suffocated under the mud. This is devasting for Galicia, another disaster for the already struggling region after the Prestige oil spill, vast forest fires, and now this. ARGH!!! Rain is great but so much so fast isn't good at all!

Saludos, MadridMan

#65376 - 10/25/06 11:28 AM Re: What is up with all this RAIN!
MedicalMan Offline

I have friends visiting from the U.S. and we went to El Escorial, Avila and Segovia today. Battled the rain but Avila is BEAUTIFUL draped in all the clouds. It was actually very cold there today as well. I have not seen the video from Galicia but if they have gotten a lot more rain than we have here in Madrid, I can imagine the rivers are at or above flood stage.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments