Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64875 - 02/03/05 04:20 PM 2012 Olympics...let Madrid have 'em
ColinK Offline

Loc: Atlantic Highlands, NJ- USA
The International Olympic Committee has started their monthlong tour of the 5 cities vying for the 2012 Olympics. Madrid and New York are two of the front runners. I hope Madrid gets them The last thing I want is the crowd, security concern and all the other headaches that come along with hosting the Olympic games. What's the feeling in Madrid ? Is it a touchy subject ? Most peopel I know in New York and New Jersey are totally against it.
I Actually can't fathom how a city like Madrid would be able to handle it logistics-wise. But I guess Athens showed us that anything, and I mean anything, is possible. Especially with all those tourist dollars that will surely accompany the games.

#64876 - 02/03/05 04:51 PM Re: 2012 Olympics...let Madrid have 'em
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
The city is prepared, politicians and Madrid's citizens support it widely,... but we know we are in the third place after London and Paris.

Frankly, I think that it would be a boom for our city (I mean a boom over the boom we have had in recent years) to have the Olympic Games. The city is enough than prepared because we have the experience from Barcelona.

Fernando

#64877 - 02/04/05 03:05 AM Re: 2012 Olympics...let Madrid have 'em
The_Keeper_at_Home Offline

Loc: Madrid
Whilst it would be nice to see the Olympics come to Madrid, I personally believe the likelyhood is very low. The main reason being simply that Spain hosted the Olympics in 1992 in Barcelona.

I know that Barcelona is not Madrid but it should be understood that saying this to an Englishman would be like comparing Manchester to London.

Paris staged the FIFA World Cup a few years back and did a good job and for this reason I think they are odds on favourites.

Sorry guys.

M.

Everything you KNOW is wrong.

#64878 - 02/04/05 07:37 AM Re: 2012 Olympics...let Madrid have 'em
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
There are posters all over town trying to convince us that we support it! I know a lot of people who don't want it, but I haven't seen opinion polls on the subject. I'm also hoping some other city gets it - I can't stand the Olympics and all the hullabaloo. Anyway, why should we have to wait fior a ridiculous event like this for the authorities to invest in infrastructures and improve the city? Are those of us who live here all the time simply not deserving enouigh?

#64879 - 02/04/05 09:35 AM Re: 2012 Olympics...let Madrid have 'em
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Because Olympic Games bring literally millions of tourists as well and mean a great publicity that reaches about 1,500 million people all over the world.

Without the benefits from tourists, investments can't be done with the hope of having some return.

Anyone who has seen the boom Barcelona had with the 1992 Olympic Games knows the effects they had on the city and on the increasment of tourists. Unfortunately, Madrid is not a main tourist destination in Spain.

Fernando

#64880 - 02/04/05 11:23 AM Re: 2012 Olympics...let Madrid have 'em
ColinK Offline

Loc: Atlantic Highlands, NJ- USA
A buddy of mine who lives in Athens said that improvements were made, but at the cost of people being forced to move because they could no longer afford to live in the areas that were fixed up for the olympics.

#64881 - 02/04/05 11:57 AM Re: 2012 Olympics...let Madrid have 'em
arthurg Offline

Loc: new york
The mayor of New York City is using the slight possibility of our getting the 2012 Olympics as an excuse for building a very expensive football stadium for the NY Jets largely at taxpayer expense. Personally I hope another city will "win" the games.

#64882 - 02/04/05 04:24 PM Re: 2012 Olympics...let Madrid have 'em
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
According to what I've been seeing - so far, Madrid is running a close second to Paris - London is third. I have to agree with a lot of the comments posted previously about the development, etc. - but I think everyone has to respect Madrid in that they are pushing the "green" - environmentally friendly - aspect of their bid. Guess no definitive answer on who wins for a few months ....

#64883 - 02/07/05 02:13 PM Re: 2012 Olympics...let Madrid have 'em
Chus Offline

Loc: Charlotte, N.C., USA
I hope Madrid gets it. That would mean they'll fix Barajas, or do something about that pitiful airport (no offense madrileños, we all know is in need of help) wink

#64884 - 02/07/05 04:28 PM Re: 2012 Olympics...let Madrid have 'em
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

In fact they are building a new terminal (one kilometer long) and two landing pathways that will more than double the airport's capacity. There will also be a train/subway to connect all the terminals. smile

Barajas will be real big... but they are already thinking of building a new bigger airport...

Fernando

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments