Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#64848 - 02/19/05 09:10 PM Re: Why Should I Go To Spain?
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
Whatever happened to compromise. One year you could go to spain(which you like). The next year you could go to japan (which she likes). One reason you should go to Spain. You only get one life. Live it to the max.

#64849 - 02/19/05 10:13 PM Re: Why Should I Go To Spain?
Dave B. Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Actually, California compares more favorably to other exotic locales. Here is some banter:

CALIFORNIA / LEBANON

Los Angeles / Beirut

CALIFORNIA / PALESTINE

South Central LA / Gaza Strip

CALIFORNIA / AFGHANISTAN

Compton / Kabul

Death Valley / Tora Bora

Spain might prove to be a very relaxing vacation!

#64850 - 02/19/05 11:11 PM Re: Why Should I Go To Spain?
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Matador: "Whatever happened to compromise. One year you could go to spain(which you like). The next year you could go to japan (which she likes)."

My wife is not in very good health and she would not be able to endure two major trips like that back to back. She's only 41yrs old, but her health has gone down hill this past year. She used to be a very active person. You can see a picture of us in my profile. You can't even tell she's sick. The pic was taken on March, 04.

Now, Dave B. I may agree with you on comparing Compton to Kabul, actually I believe Kabul is safer, lol. As for Death Valley, it's quite awesome! People who are not familiar with deserts can't appreciate the beauty and starkness of such a landscape. The geology found there is most unique, the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere, as well as the hottest on average. High jagged peaks and deep valleys where several ton boulders glide through the desert floor mysteriously leaving their trails behind them. Geologists are not sure how they move. One of the many wonders of California. smile

#64851 - 02/20/05 05:57 AM Re: Why Should I Go To Spain?
Dave B. Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Ohio USA
Senor OsoMajor:

My wife is a native Californian and felt the same way about Spain as your wife. I could not resist the chance to tease two Californians! We are actually leaving for Altadena to see friends as soon as I log off. You are right of course, California is a spectacular place.

I hope you get to take your trip. Toledo actually changed my wife's mind about the value of a Spanish trip.

#64852 - 02/20/05 11:54 AM Re: Why Should I Go To Spain?
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Dave B: Is it just my imagination or are you not overly impressed with California? laugh laugh Having lived in two of California's neighboring states all of my life I must say that you, me and the late Governor Tom McCall of Orgeon are all on the same page. laugh laugh I will never forget the signs that he ordered in the 1960s, one showed him in a nice statesman pose and the caption said "notice to our visitors from California, Interstate 5 has a southbound lane." The other was a little more to the point, "Welcome to Oregon, now spend your money and go home." With the same pose of him.

Almost every week there will be a story in the Sunday paper in both Lost Wages and Phoenix about how "the Californians are coming." It is almost to the point of being like Paul Rever and his midnight ride through Arizona and Nevada. smile smile

#64853 - 02/20/05 02:15 PM Re: Why Should I Go To Spain?
Supertubbie Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hahahahaha ok sorrie. Well I can pick out one from your list. Barcelona/San Fransisco. I have been in SF and I didn't had a Barcelona feeling in SF. I like the city but it's a 100% diffrent.

Well point one is that Barcelona is way out older then SF. Parts of the Gothic Neigbourhood are from the Roman Period.

The second thing is that you can learn to know a culture in an other country. You can eat Spanish food in the US. But to discovere it realy the real thing will only be in the country it self. It's imposible to compare US and Spain together. I mean in The Netherlands we have Tappa's to but they are so diffrent then the ones in Spain. Nothing can win it from the originall.

#64854 - 02/20/05 04:12 PM Re: Why Should I Go To Spain?
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Desert Dweller, I remember those signs very well, they were shown here in the media, mostly taken as a joke out here. If California has a fault it's that it is too popular. People stream to it from everywhere like moths to a flame! Do we want them here? Im not a native, but I've lived here most of my life to consider myself one. We have half the population of Washington and Oregon living in California, why? Because there's no jobs in those states! Did you know that there are no self-serve gas stations in Oregon? You can't fill up your own gas tank because it's someone's job to do it. That's all they do is fill gas. They come here looking for work, just like illegal aliens. If Arizona and the Pacific Northwest are having "Californians" invade their states, you may want to ask them if they are native Californians. I betcha most of them are not and have lived here for a while and now want to move on for whatever reason. Native Californian don't want to leave. You hinted that you lived here. Why did you come here and why did you leave? If California decided to kick everyone that wasn't a native out of the state, the neighboring states (AZ, OR, Nv) wouldn't be able to absorb the influx. You would all be overwhelmed, yet we're able to do it. Not that we want to but we can; though not sure for how long, I grant you that.

Now, I believe many here didn't quite grasp my wife's comparison of California to Spain. She didn't want to make a literal comparison with regards to cities and locations. She was looking for similarity. Take her example of San Francisco & Barcelona. She knows they don't look alike, her comparison was intended to show that both cities are electic and artistic. Madrid/Los Angeles as being two cosmopolitan cities, the landscape...they grow oranges, we grow oranges, they grow almonds we grow almonds, they grow olives we grow olives, they grow and produce wine we grow and produce wine, they speak Spanish you hear it here too. It's the similarites that made her ask why go. It's like Disneyland and Euro-Disney, you have the Castle and you have the mouse, except without the attitude! laugh

#64855 - 02/21/05 10:55 AM Re: Why Should I Go To Spain?
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Oso: Yes I do know about the non self serve gas stations in Oregon. The Peoples Republic of Orgeon is my home state. They claim not to have a state sales tax, yet when I turned in a rental car in Portland in November the tax was more than the rental itself. Something that was not mentioned at the time of the reservation. Oregon is ran by such a bunch of thick heads and narrow minds, I don't look for that state to do to much in my life time.

We are all very much aware that people stream to California in droves. You are right, jobs are the main attraction. However, the reason they came is the reason they are now leaving. Your desert neighbors to the east are now absorbing most of the exit loss.

I don't know what I said that would have been a hint that I have ever lived in California. I can assure you that I have not.

The battle lines are now being drwan between your two desert neighbors and California over Colorado River water. Arizona and Nevada have for years been allowing Calif. to use more than it's legal share of water. Now we both need the water, and California does not want to abide by the laws.

Taxes and tort law are two things that are killing your state. Your current gov. ran on the ticket that he was going to try and get that matter squared away. Workmens Comp laws are killing the business enviornment in California. California had better be pulling it's head out, or what made it a great place, will be what kills it. The worse things get in California, the better they get in Arizona and Nevada.

Now to get back to the topic and hand and quit beating up on California. Make a deal with your bride that you go to both places, even if it means going to Japan first. Japan will cost much more to visit than will Spain. Both countries have made significant contributions to our American way of life. Japan has proven to the world, via hydorponic farming that food growth does not need to be such a large expensive opration. Japan is a place I would enjoy visiting, lord knows I have sent enough dollars over there over the years. wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments