Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#64816 - 01/11/05 12:03 PM Permanent Move?
lngarrison Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I just posted this in "Working in Spain":

Would you follow your significant other, who you have a serious relationship with in the US and who is a Spaniard, to Spain when you do not have a job or are not enrolled in school before your permanent move to Spain? There is a possibility that there can be a future together, but that's not guaranteed.

Would you risk your financial and emotional security here in the US to move to Spain with your significant other?

Why? Or why not?

Your thoughts on this subject matter would be greatly appreciated!

#64817 - 01/11/05 02:21 PM Re: Permanent Move?
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
Absolutely! If it didn't work out with said significant other, there are millions of other hot Spanish men to choose from!

If you have the chance to move to Spain, do it! DO IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!

Often the best things in life are the hardest to do!

#64818 - 01/11/05 04:13 PM Re: Permanent Move?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Why not come legally with a student visa to study Spanish? That way you will have something to do and you'll be learning about the culture and language (important if things work out and also if they don't). Spanish classes at the public universities are very cheap--around 600-700 Euros a trimester or semester...

#64819 - 01/11/05 05:00 PM Re: Permanent Move?
lngarrison Offline

As an undergrad, I lived in Cadiz and in Barcelona for a year, so this time around, I would have to go to Spain for graduate work. I have thought about that possiblity. I am interested in getting an international MBA and Spain has some of the best business schools in the world. It would be a matter of me scoring high enough on the GMAT and getting into one of these competitive schools!

#64820 - 01/12/05 04:26 AM Re: Permanent Move?
The_Keeper_at_Home Offline

Loc: Madrid
Speaking as someone who moved to Spain so that I could learn to read Gabriel Garcia Marquez in the original language, I bound so say do it.

Security and comfort are tempoary things and can disapear overnight, so grab the chance to immerse yourself in a different culture, if things go well, great. If not it'll be an adventure and will make you a more open-minded and interesting person in the future. (PS I'm not implying that your not an open-minded and interesting person now wink ).

Everything you KNOW is wrong.

#64821 - 01/13/05 05:22 PM Re: Permanent Move?
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Yes, if i had no other ties (i.e. children at home), for the adventure.

#64822 - 01/14/05 09:40 AM Re: Permanent Move?
lngarrison Offline

No ties at home, except for family and friends. At this time in my life, moving would mean a whole new career change (I will be the big 30 next month)...but it's not like I have a real career now (it all went downhill a year ago, but that's a whole different thread). Yet regardless, it would be a real commitment to move to Spain for me right now (as would anyone). I would not be going to "study abroad" since I already did that in my early 20s (god, I sound like a little old lady already!). Here's a general question: if you had to choose between career and family, which would you choose and why? Ideally you would want both, but you can't see that far into the future. Family? Career? Why?

#64823 - 01/14/05 10:22 AM Re: Permanent Move?
The_Keeper_at_Home Offline

Out of interest what was/is your career. There is of course a chance that you could carry on in the same career but for as different copany, a chance to learn different methods and also share your knowledge.

BTW I was 36 when I took the plunge and it has been a great experience.

Everything you KNOW is wrong.

#64824 - 01/14/05 11:26 AM Re: Permanent Move?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
A difficult decision, and one that only YOU can make. But, that is what makes life exciting, isn't it, the choices we make.

My advice, as a happy woman of 50 plus years, who has no regrets on the life choices she made, is to know yourself well before you decide. Above all be true to yourself, don't lie to yourself. You are your own best friend, do what you believe and viscerally feel is right for you, that way you will not regret your decision, even if it turns out not to have been a good decision.

Life decisions are always tough to make, at any age but more so at your age. Take your time, don't rush.

“We are not who we are by the talents and abilities we possess. We are who we are by the choices we make.” -- Albus Dumbledore

#64825 - 01/14/05 03:31 PM Re: Permanent Move?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Family and friends are forever if you work to keep it that way; using a phone and email on a regular basis is as effective from Madrid to DC as from around the corner.

You don't sound that thrilled about your career path at the moment - and I agree, the economy and much else for the last few years has not made for ideal scenarios - so you don't sound as if there is much to loose on that score.

From the sounds of it - you are mortgage free - and, other than children, mortages are the greatest deterent to having the flexability to move. (As an aside - I moved a country or two with a child - so nothing is impossible if you want it).

You know from past experience that you are comfortable in Spain - and that you like the country. I'm guessing that you are somewhat conversant in Spanish - or would become so rather quickly with immersion ...

And, if you are single, mortgage free and in a semi-decent job - you might be able to save up enough cash (and pay off all debts) to return to Spain and find your own answer.

Look at it this way - you just hit the big 30 ... but are things going to look any easier when you hit 35?

For what it's worth - if you want to go - do it!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments