Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#64761 - 01/16/05 06:36 AM Three things you would like to introduce back home from Spain.
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Here's your chance to name 3 things you encounter in Spain that you would like to see back home.
My choices are:

1) Free aperitivos in bars with your drink
2) Clean, efficient, cheap public transport system
3) Cafe con Leche for 1 Euro.

:p

#64762 - 01/16/05 10:08 AM Re: Three things you would like to introduce back home from Spain.
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Another great list, filbert!

I realize that this list is location-centric. I mean we may list items that are already here in the U.S., but in certain cities only. For example, you can have a café con leche for under a euro anywhere in Miami. So here goes...

1. Hot churros every morning at the local bakery!
2. Spanish rail and bus system.
3. Tertulias...the ancient art of conversing with friends. Shooting the bull so to speak, over a beer or a cup of coffee, over nothing or everything, and still remain friends after the discussion, agreeing to disagree! wink

#64763 - 01/16/05 12:53 PM Re: Three things you would like to introduce back home from Spain.
ditravelphoto Offline

Loc: Seattle
Great topic....only 3???

1. Chocolate con churros
2. The Spanish Cafes that serve them along with beer and a Spanish tortilla (not all at once I hope!! eek )
3. The characters that populate the cafes. I love to sit in a cafe and watch the "traffic."
At different times of day you have the people rushing to get to work and needing their coffee to get there, the morning break, the older people that wander in and linger. Tertulias? I did not know this word, but yes I think this is what you find in the cafes.

#64764 - 01/16/05 02:23 PM Re: Three things you would like to introduce back home from Spain.
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
just a question re: churros. how are they made in Spain? in Puerto Rico you have your choice of a filling, my favorite queso crema! the guy fills it up for you. when i got back to NY and i saw churros i ran for them only to discover, they were plain, AHHH! i asked the girl where's the fillings and she said, ahh you just came back from PR, lol. i miss Puerto Rico!

#64765 - 01/16/05 03:33 PM Re: Three things you would like to introduce back home from Spain.
ditravelphoto Offline

Loc: Seattle
They are basically fried dough sticks, or ropes depending on where you get them. THAT is what the chocolate is for.....YUMMM laugh

#64766 - 01/17/05 06:49 AM Re: Three things you would like to introduce back home from Spain.
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
First, my chauvinist list!
1. The women.
2. The women.
3. The women. laugh

Now for the rest, a UK perspective:
1. The weather
2. Flamenco culture
3. Whatever it takes, culturally, economically, legally, to allow Spanish bars to thrive on every street corner and provide an alternative to stinking, child-hostile, overpriced pubs.

#64767 - 01/17/05 07:43 AM Re: Three things you would like to introduce back home from Spain.
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Thanks to those who've praised topic thread! Interesting that a coffee costs just 1 Euro (or less) in Spain or Florida. I had a coffee (well, cafe latte) at a chain coffee store in England today. The cost? One pound 90 (around 3 Euros). I admit the furniture was probably more luxurious than the average Madrid bar. Even so, this example shows why, even on a good salary, it's so hard to live a civilised existence in the UK. Unfortunately I'm not on a good salary. Boo-hoo! eek

#64768 - 01/17/05 10:29 AM Re: Three things you would like to introduce back home from Spain.
lngarrison Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Hello?! Has anyone forgotten the CHORIZO?!
My list: 1) Chorizo
2) Wine (red and cava)
3) Men

I also really love how you go shopping everyday for fresh groceries at your local grocer, two hour lunches, paseos after meals and how old couples hold each others hands while they're on a paseo. I think Spain is much more kid friendly as well.

#64769 - 01/18/05 02:41 PM Re: Three things you would like to introduce back home from Spain.
princessbecca Offline

Loc: arkansas, but not for long
there are so many! ok but the top three for me, have to be...
1)the transportation- trains, buses, in the southern u.s. there is nothing that even compares. we are so obsessed with driving gigantic suvs that we can't spend money on decent public transport
2)the schedule - laid back, siestas, eating for socialization, not because it is the scheduled time, time for conversations
3) gazpacho - different everywhere you go, but there is nothing better in the summer. i can't find anything remotely similar here.
i can't wait to be back in spain!

#64770 - 01/18/05 03:10 PM Re: Three things you would like to introduce back home from Spain.
Supertubbie Offline

Loc: Madrid
I was planning to stay here forever but iff I have to go back to The Netherlands I would love to have there:

1) My 7 euro's lunches (I still call it dinner:-)
2) My wodka/fanta with the spanish alcohol amount and price :-P
3) The people

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments