Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#64603 - 08/28/04 01:34 AM HELP!!....ATM machine
pepsipep Offline

Loc: Hong Kong,China
Hi all,

Can anyone please tell me that if my cash card with the "PLUS" logo and with 6 digit PIN number (origin from Hong Kong, China) works in Spain's ATM machine? As I know you use 6 digit in Spain. I checked with my bank and they only told me that they 'think /believe' that i can use it in Spain (still using 6 digit PIN), but they were not 100% sure!!

Does anybody know? or have experiences?
is it covenience using travellers cheques?
I am planning to go to Barcelone, Garanda and Madrid end Sept.

your repies & advices are very much appreciated!
gracias!

#64604 - 08/28/04 06:43 AM Re: HELP!!....ATM machine
Anonymous
Unregistered

As I know you use 6 digit in Spain.

I think you mean 4 digits, haha. smile

#64605 - 09/26/04 04:54 PM Re: HELP!!....ATM machine
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
I use an ATM card with PLUS all the time in Madrid. My PIN is only 4 digits though.

#64606 - 09/27/04 01:22 AM Re: HELP!!....ATM machine
Anonymous
Unregistered

What I have seen in my vacations abroad (I say this because they offered me a different menu - for foreigners there) is that they display a screen that lets me insert my four digits, but it doesn't automatically start the transaction, but I have to press "enter". It loks like you could insert more digits (until six?) if necessary.

#64607 - 09/27/04 11:40 AM Re: HELP!!....ATM machine
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Unless it has changed recently - 4 digits for your ATM card - works every time ....

#64608 - 09/27/04 11:43 AM Re: HELP!!....ATM machine
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think she means she has a six digits key, and wants to know if our ATMs are prepared for six digits or only can work with four.

#64609 - 09/28/04 01:59 AM Re: HELP!!....ATM machine
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
I don't think a 6 digit pin is going to work. Just have your bank assign you a 4 digit pin, that works just fine in Spain, and everywhere else as far as I know.

DO NOT EVEN THINK OF GETTING TRAVELER'S CHECKS

You do not need them, simply use ATM's when you want money. You get killed with outragious exchange fees when you use traveler's checks, or convert from one currency to another. With the ATM you get the official rate of exchange.

Also, make sure you have a high daily limit on your ATM, so you don't have to take out many installments to get the amount of money you want.

My bank charges me a $2.00 per transaction when I use an ATM that is not Wells Fargo. I expect other banks do the same. So cut down on the number of trips you take to the ATM.

Good luck!

#64610 - 11/04/04 05:23 PM Re: HELP!!....ATM machine
alanw Offline

Loc: Sitges
ServiRed machines will not work with a six-digit PIN; a friend found out the hard way. I know he tried a couple of others without luck but don't know what network they were on.

-alan in sitges

#64611 - 12/19/04 11:15 AM Re: HELP!!....ATM machine
el viajero Offline

Note that one or two Spanish banks' ATMs have the numeric-key positions reversed: the three keys you expect to see on the top will be on the bottom and vice-versa. So if you're used to typing in your PIN without looking at the numbers on the keys, you can easily lock your card.

Another thing: look at the back of your ATM card to see whether it only gives an 800 number for customer service or if it gives a full phone number with a proper area code. If it's only an 800 number (which won't work abroad), call them before you leave on your trip and find out a number that will work overseas. That way, if you *do* lock your card, you can contact the bank.

Buen viaje...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments