Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#64494 - 05/26/04 08:39 PM BLACK VAIL WORN BY QUEEN SOPHIA?
aeking3 Offline

Loc: U.S.A
Does anyone know why Felipeīs sisters and Queen wore black vails? I was interested to know what it signifies? gracias

-A.

#64495 - 05/26/04 10:53 PM Re: BLACK VAIL WORN BY QUEEN SOPHIA?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
The veil is not really a veil it is called a mantilla. Mantillas are worn by Catholic Spanish women at weddings, and should not be confused with the Catholic tradition of veils.

In a Catholic wedding, generally only the bride wears a white veil.

The Queen looked very grand in her beautiful dress. A silver veil would not have worked with the color of the dress Her Majesty wore, don't you think?

Some guests wore lovely hats and other arrangements called Tocados like the duchess of Alba's flower arrangement.

#64496 - 05/27/04 12:11 PM Re: BLACK VAIL WORN BY QUEEN SOPHIA?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Mantillas have fallen into disuse.

Years ago they were a symbol of elegancy which was worn in weddings, corridas de toros (bullfights) and other special events.

If I remember well, they were imported from Philippines when it was a spanish colony (I'm not sure).

Fernando

#64497 - 06/02/04 06:53 AM Re: BLACK VAIL WORN BY QUEEN SOPHIA?
Espe3 Offline

Fernando,
Imported from the Philipeans, were Mantones, not Mantillas. Well, the best ones were anyways.

For those who donīt know, a manton is the shawl like thing with long fringe and embroidered that can be seen worn by spanish women particularly on special occasions. They are made from silk and are embroidered by hand. A good mantilla, and the most expensive ones donīt have a front or back, they are embroidered so that you canīt tell.

And a veil is only a veil if it covers the face (think weddings, funerals).

Mantillas are very delicate lace- held by a comb, now often made of plastic, but used to be made of turtle shell. Used still during town festivals as part of the typical dress. Because its so delicate, and a pain in the rear end, its use stays pretty limited. Its seen used more in the south of spain than other areas.

#64498 - 06/02/04 12:35 PM Re: BLACK VAIL WORN BY QUEEN SOPHIA?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Hola Espe3, I have missed you! By the way, do you know of a store that sells these beautiful mantillas. My mother has one that was sent to her from Asturias, and the story was that her grandmother had the mantilla done in a convent in Galicia. The Gallegas are well known for their lace making. But my mother does not know which convent!

#64499 - 06/02/04 01:23 PM Re: BLACK VAIL WORN BY QUEEN SOPHIA?
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
if you are interested in reading a little about the famous laces in Galicia, Here is one site that explains ( in Spanish) about the techniques and the traditions of the laces from Camariņas, in A Coruņa.

I also thought this site was interesting to read about the origins of this type of lace work,as well as some of the other handicrafts in Galicia. smile
Can you tell I am proud of my Galician heritage? wink

#64500 - 06/02/04 05:35 PM Re: BLACK VAIL WORN BY QUEEN SOPHIA?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Hola Esperanza, who would have guessed that you are a Galega! laugh
Thanks for the sites I have run into a couple of lace handicraft sites.Sadly when I went to Santiago I did not investigate the Muxia, Fisterra or Camariņas lace making industry. I am going only to Galicia next Spring break. So I will be investigating the "cottage industries" of Galicia!
Adeus,
Carmen

#64501 - 06/07/04 09:10 AM Re: BLACK VAIL WORN BY QUEEN SOPHIA?
Espe3 Offline

Hello Booklady!
Hows it going?
Sorry, but the Mantilla that my mother has has been inherited by her mother. There are many stors that sell them though. Looks like its time for you to visit! wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments