Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#64194 - 03/11/04 01:05 PM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
Morientes Offline

Greetings,

As an American of Spanish descent I would like send my support to all the people of Spain.

Ironically, I was in Spain on Sept. 11th when the attacks occurred in America. I remember Spaniards going out of their way to show their support for Americans and against terrorism.

If the terrorists do turn out to be the ETA (which is what I am hearing on TVE) then I hope all Americans will condemn the actions of the Basque terrorists. I personally will NEVER visit the Basque region until the killing stops. I know most basques are innocent of this; but, if their travel economy is hurt, maybe they will do more to help also.

#64195 - 03/11/04 01:52 PM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
Silvita Offline

Loc: Chicago
Madridman,

I also was calling locating family members and lucky for me, all are safe and sound. I heard on Canal Sur that the trains with the most victims were from outlying neighborhoods that house a lot of laborers, lower-income people...Lots of immigrants from Poland, Romania...the kind of families that might never recover from this kind of thing.

It's so sad and if anyone can think of something we can do from our homes to help, donate to Red Cross or whatever, please share ideas.

MADRID, ANIMO, CHICAGO ESTA CONTIGO!

#64196 - 03/11/04 01:57 PM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
DCS Offline

Loc: Madrid
"I can`t stand CNN hipocrisy on this subject. Believe me, this is not the best day to demand me for simpathy on Americans"

HELLO, since when did CNN become the spokesman for Americans?? CNN is a subsidiary of Time Warner which is owned by its company's shareholders, mainly the very liberal Ted Turner and large mutual fund companies and anyone else who buys the company's stock when the market is open.

You should start watching Fox News like most Amercians do. Fox New Channel has been killing CNN in the ratings for several years now and is in fact the most watched cable news channel.

#64197 - 03/11/04 03:07 PM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
My heart goes out to all spaniards. I saw it on the spanish tv station here in the U.S. How fleeting life is. I remember spending quite a bit of time by atocha station when I lived in madrid last summer.All this amounts to is more unecessary bloodshed.When will people get tired of the killing. Killing in Iraq, Killing in Israel, Africa, Spain, when will it end?

#64198 - 03/11/04 04:44 PM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
NYCritter Offline

Loc: New York, USA
Again as I posted on the travel warning page, my heart goes out to everyone effected by these senseless attacks on innocent people.
But my hair just bristles when I read the comments by DCS. CNN, or FOX they are both owned by large corporate interests, take your pick. If you think you are receiving unbiased reporting, you need a reality check. I for one, am greatful there are message boards like this one, where people can communicate directly to each other and bypass the propaganda machines.
Stay strong, and blessings.

#64199 - 03/11/04 05:02 PM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
DCS Offline

NYCritter, I was stating that the perception that CNN is run by the U.S. Gov is false. Of course Fox News is part of a large corporation(NewsCorp). The point is, we have more choices than CNN and I believe in fact that you get more realisitc reporting from Fox News or even MSNBC or even CNBC. I would suggest with all due respect that perhaps I'm not the one who needs a reality check.

#64200 - 03/11/04 09:19 PM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
snowdog Offline

Loc: seattle usa
My in-laws will be coming to the states next week. Being a member of the PSOE I'm sure he'll give me an ear-full about this.

I can sympathize though...Spain's awesome support of the USA after Sept.11 has resulted in them paying a heavy price.

My heart goes out to all the grieving families tonight.

Madrid!

#64201 - 03/11/04 10:16 PM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
marthafromsf Offline

Loc: california
Hello to all,
I'm sorry to write my first message on such a terrible and shocking day.
I've been a lurker here for a while, enjoying all your posts while planning my first trip to Spain (coming up at the end of April). But I have to write today just to express my deep sorrow and horror for the events in Madrid today. I found out about the bombings from my travel agent, who called to tell me my ticket is ready to pick up, which should have been such happy news, rather than horrible and sad and scary as today's events have been.

MadridMan, I have read so many of your posts and journals talking about how much you love the city and consider it your heart's home. I feel such sympathy and sorrow for you, and for the Spaniards and other lovers of Spain who are on this message board.
May we all know peace on earth someday, when the human race may evolve beyond such senseless violence and hatred.
My prayers and love go out to you all on this terrible day.

Martha

#64202 - 03/12/04 09:25 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Let's not choose the wrong enemies: Only terrorists are to blame of this blood bath.

In Bali 200 persons were killed, and Bali didn't support US actions against Iraq.

Terrorists, no matter if it was ETA or Al-Qaeda, will try to kill anywhere, elsewhere if they are given the chance, no matter what we do or stop doing.

We should make every possible effort to make them end in prison forever.

Fernando

#64203 - 03/12/04 10:22 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
almohada Offline

Fernando,
I could not agree with you more. In these times, it is so important to remain focused and to be able to differentiate friend from foe. Two countries trying to their best for their people will always have differences of opinion, with some greater than others. However, when a third party inflicts such pain on the innocents of both sides, PLEASE maintain perspective on our differences. They are trivial and manageable compared to our collective need to root out this evil, this virus that wants nothing more than to see us turn against each other.

One need only look at the relationship between the US and France. So much potential love, yet so and much shameful behavior public posturing. Folks, there is so, so much more to bind us together. Let's focus on the 99.9% of common pursuits and raise a glass of vinto tinto to the other .01%. At the same time, let's put 110% of our minds and souls into destroying this nasty cancer that threatens us all.

When I leave Spain, I for one, will do all I can to focus on the positive, even if all I can do is buy more manchego and ribera del duero. And I hope that every once in a while, my Spainish friends lay down a few $$ for a pair of Levi's. Of course it is not about money, but just one example of how us little folks can pitch in to cement ties...

Never have I been on a more mature and caring board. Let's all do our best to maintain the love.

Peace, A

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments