MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#64184 - 03/11/04 09:37 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
i have been trying to get through to my close friend in madrid, with no success. am i correct to say that the trains were near atocha around 8am spain time??? thats about when one of my friends should have been arrriving there to switch to the metro and go to class, but im not sure exactly what train hed have been on, one of the cercanias coming from outside of madrid though.
my thoughts are with everybody, il be praying.
kelly

#64185 - 03/11/04 09:43 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow. Impressive. People are thankfully uniting in Puerta del Sol to give blood. See the photo below of the line of people waiting to pass through the mobile (bus) blood bank:

I'm told by friends in Madrid that tomorrow (Friday) there will be gathering ("manifestación") at Atocha. You can likely watch through the Madrid traffic cams in the area.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#64186 - 03/11/04 09:44 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
Cristobo Carrín Offline

Loc: Asturias
Death toll so far, 186 people. But it is too probable that it will rise yet.
Arnaldo Otegui, head of ETA`s political wing (currently illegal) has just rejected the attack. It is the first time EVER. I never thought I would see such a thing. Even those bastards can feel horrified!
The whole world is supporting the suffering of the victims. It is something beautiful and moving, sort of a world brotherhood.
I wrote my first post when I was still in shock after seeing the cynical reaction of CNN. Along this morning I have seen numberless shows of support from Americans and Brits. I see now that the flawed view of the media is not shared by people of good will. I am sorry if someone felt offended, just understand this is not the best morning to send a balanced post.

#64187 - 03/11/04 09:59 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cristobo,

Americans aren't as easily swayed by the media as people would imagine. We've always been free thinking, and most people don't realize how close we really are to the world community. What hurts Spain, and Spaniards, hurts us very deeply as well, because our roots, and our friends, are part of Spanish society, and world society. We care very deeply, even if the event doesn't directly affect us as individuals.

I can understand how the heat of the moment can make someone say something they don't mean. We all suffer from that happening at one time or another during our lives. But being able to own up to the error is the key to being understood, and you did that quite admirably. Thank you for seeing us for who we really are.

Wolf

#64188 - 03/11/04 10:09 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Cristobo,
Unfortunately, the mass media's power to communicate ideas and common feeling is of the same level as its power to whip up hatred and suspicion. As many have have posted, we ALL have a responsibility to make sure that the true intent and goodwill shared by most people in this world remain head and shoulders above forces that would like nothing better than to see us at each other's throats.

Cheers to you for your mature response. I am sure we are one on this.

Best, A

#64189 - 03/11/04 11:21 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
Jennita Offline

Loc: Denver
Hi.. I've been trying to get in touch with my friend and her husband who are in Madrid. I was wondering if there is a specific website that has more information. I don't know the Spanish websites very well, and the US sites don't have as much coverage as I'm looking for. I speak Spanish so I don't care what language it is. Also, is there a Spanish phone directory I can look at? I only have my friend's cell phone and there is no answer. frown

#64190 - 03/11/04 11:28 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Jennita et. al., the Official page you seek is the Ministry of the Interior @ http://www.mir.es/atentadomadrid/atentado.htm .

And, I'm quite amazed that already, just a few hours after the explosions, ALREADY have a list of names of the injured and the name of the hospital where they were sent @ http://www.mir.es/atentadomadrid/heridoshospitales.htm . My goodness. What a list.. frown

I don't suspect they will release a list of those killed/murdered for some time.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#64191 - 03/11/04 11:38 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
mittens Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, USA
I have been a part-time lurker but felt compelled to register and post after hearing the horrible, sad news of this morning’s terrorist attacks. I immediately thought about my friends in the States now who are from Spain and have family members there and about those of you who have lived and are living in Madrid. I just wanted to say a couple things.

First, my heart aches for everyone living in Spain, especially Madrid, now. I’m sure you are experiencing similar feelings of shock, anger, fear, and sadness that we Americans did after 9/11. Because of that experience, I can sympathize and understand what you may be feeling. I don’t think the number of lives lost affects the power of the grief experienced in these situations. I can imagine the state of shock the people of Madrid will be in for the next several weeks and I am sending all my good thoughts and wishes to the people on this board who are struggling with the news.

I was a member of an email list of friends and acquaintances living in America and abroad during 9/11 and I’d like to offer this advice to the people here, from my experience: it is understandable and important that you talk about your feelings whether they are of sadness, anger, or blame. Everyone affected by this will go through stages of grief (which include anger) and we should be open to those discussions and not judgmental while each person works out his/her own feelings in trying to find logic in the senseless acts of murderers. That’s not to say there won’t be debate but I encourage you all to express your feelings and try not to judge too harshly the emotionally-charged words of people in pain. Instead of attacking and acting defensive, try to better understand what a person is really trying to express through his/her grief.

Peace be with you all.

#64192 - 03/11/04 11:40 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
Jennita Offline

Loc: Denver
Thank you so much for the links! Luckily my friends are not on the injured list.

My heart goes out to everyone and their families and friends.

Jennita

#64193 - 03/11/04 11:43 AM Re: Madrid: Separatist group ETA conquers again
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Jennita,
From BBC online these are the phone numbers -
(00 34) 900 200 222
(00 34) 915 767 000

where you can get information on friends & family in Madrid that were scheduled to be in any of the affected areas.

The cruelty and insanity of what happened are unspeakable - for once, can we please refrain from political asides and express our sympathy and love for all in Madrid.

Any board members living in Madrid - please check in and let us know you and your families are safe

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments