Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64150 - 02/20/04 08:45 AM Exchange rate - "only rich Americans go abroad"
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
This is from today's edition of The Guardian (UK newspaper), re. the affect of the declining dollar on American tourism to Europe (inc. Spain!)

"Nobody in the US is in the least bit bothered about this," he says. "Only 11% of adult Americans have a passport after all. It's only rich Americans who go abroad and they are rich enough not to be affected by this."

So all you American hispanophiles on this board are rich then! Well done! wink

#64151 - 02/20/04 09:04 AM Re: Exchange rate - "only rich Americans go abroad"
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hey thanks! I didn't know I was rich but if " The Guardian " says I am then it must be true! wink Guess I'm "rolling in dough" because JUST THIS MORNING I bought my ticket to Madrid for April! Woo!$ Hoo!$

This exchange rate thing is all the more reason to just move to Spain and earn Euros while spending Euros.

I agree that VERY few 'Americans' own passports. The vast majority of people I know have never been out of the country... well, except to Canada and maybe Mexico where passports aren't required. Quite an argument for 'American' ethnocentrism there, I'd say. But please, ...oh why did I say that..., let's not turn this into a heated political debate, okay? laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#64152 - 02/20/04 09:22 AM Re: Exchange rate - "only rich Americans go abroad"
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
If only!!!

I am planning two group trips to Europe this year and it's heartbreaking how many people want to go and can't afford it because of the current exchange rate with the euro.

I work with a European company, and word from there is that the entire tour industry is alarmed. It looks like they're going to lose a lot of money from fewer Americans traveling. The American companies who advertised their prices in dollars early are now looking at shrinking (or disappearing!) profit lines, and this after a decrease in American travel due to 9/11. Everyone already lost money after many Americans stopped traveling after 9/11.

And to put salt on the wound, the airlines are charging higher rates to Europe this summer than I've ever seen!

So yeah - you have to be rich to travel now! But maybe that means we'll have more "armchair" travelers for the time being. Anyone for some virtual tours via MM's bulletin board? Someone could start an imaginary tour, and the rest could add on...oh, the places we could go...

#64153 - 02/20/04 10:56 AM Re: Exchange rate - "only rich Americans go abroad"
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
This is very interesting. When I was in spain many spaniards assumed that all americans are rich because they were able to live in spain. They also thought that american teenagers got a bmw on their 16th birthday. They also assumed that the houses that we live in all have porches with rocking chairs. Let me clarify, not everyone lives like this in the us.This image is brought to you courtesy of hollywood.

#64154 - 02/20/04 11:02 AM Re: Exchange rate - "only rich Americans go abroad"
grayhighlights Offline

Loc: Miami, FL USA
The exchange rate is really worrisome. My banker speculates it will remain this way for quite some time. He gave me a forcast for 5 years that is dismal. I hope they are wrong for our sake.

#64155 - 02/20/04 07:45 PM Re: Exchange rate - "only rich Americans go abroad"
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Well, here's the latest:

"22% or 59 million Americans, a new high, held passports in 2003."

From Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine, March 2004 issue.

Not bad!

#64156 - 02/23/04 06:43 AM Re: Exchange rate - "only rich Americans go abroad"
Amanda Panda Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL USA
Tip for people who want to travel more.
If you buy a lot of things on credit, (because you don't have the cash) get one of those visa cards that give award airline miles with each purchase. That's how my best friend made his way to visit me over here Catalunya.

#64157 - 02/24/04 12:46 PM Re: Exchange rate - "only rich Americans go abroad"
Chicagoan Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I know that is PART of the reason I went to South America in the fall and Costa Rica last week. (I'm glad I did, though because I needed to "branch out" and go someplace besides europe!)
I will FIND a way to afford Greece in September, though. I'm sure a lot of Spain-o-philes here on this board do the same with Spain. Look at the Australians. Their exchange rate is not favorable to the euro and they seem to travel a lot more than Americans do. And how about all the college students and recent graduates that you always see? And Canadians? It's not as easy, but they seem to find a way, and find a way to have a good time. And I will too!

#64158 - 02/28/04 02:04 PM Re: Exchange rate - "only rich Americans go abroad"
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
I don't think travel depends on being rich so much as it does on having the luxery of time and on being a good shopper - I have just found a flight between Boston and Madrid for $389 (leaving in March to return in June).

#64159 - 03/03/04 08:01 PM Re: Exchange rate - "only rich Americans go abroad"
that_girl Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Seeing as how this was a quote in The Guardian, maybe the person who said it was confusing the UK with Europe. I would say that the dollar's weakness would truly prevent Americans from going to the UK, especially London. London is expensive enough without having to pay nearly double for everything.

On the plus side, a number of my friends from the UK and Spain are finally able to afford to visit me in San Francisco. And this summer a group of us from SF still plans on going to Spain (everyone in the group except me normally goes to London for vacation).

...Syd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments