Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#63971 - 11/28/03 06:00 AM Re: a very happy fmiketheman is going to spain in 7 days
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
fmiketheman writes:
Quote:
...guess i have to add and fit santiago de compostela to my trip while in galicia.

while in coruna area i will make it a must to head over to santiago for this mustsee event.
As I recall, it's only about 20-minutes on the regional rail from a'Corunha to Santiago; and there's fairly frequent service. You'll probably spend longer than that hiking from the Renfe station to the Historic area.

Up the steps from the station - cross the street at the traffic signal then continue up the hill to the Plaza de Galicia. Cross the Avenida and go left - a few doors down is Cafeteria Yate, where they make fresh churros. At the corner turn right then right again into the historic area - follow the c./ de Franco to the Plaza del Obradoiro.

Santiago is the Capital of the Xunta do Galizia. An historic building that houses The Administrative Offices of the Xunta is just north of the Basilica.

#63972 - 11/28/03 07:01 AM Re: a very happy fmiketheman is going to spain in 7 days
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Hi, fmike!
Yes , you'll find a more active, diverse and fun Madrid now, but unfortunately there are a few things that have not changed since 1997, for example the ultra right wing and racist people like ESPAÑOL20. But enjoy your trip, they are not worth listening to.

#63973 - 11/28/03 10:35 AM Re: a very happy fmiketheman is going to spain in 7 days
ESPAÑOL20 Offline

deibid you are the RACIST!.

I pointed out some IMPORTANT ISSUES. Madrid is not like it used to be, he must understand. If he gets pickpocketed, gunned down, assaulted, ............. by IMMIGRANTS, he will have to say thank you to those communist, leftist, stupids, that promotes multiculturalism.

Now everything can happen in Madrid (the best and the worst).
In 1997 just usually happened the best.

Take care of your personal belongings when you see those "ethnic minorities"....

BTW I´m not an ultra (i´ve never voted), for me ultraleft and ultraright it is the same stupidity, but also NAZISTS AND COMMUNISTS ARE THE SAME GENOCIDES AND GARBAGE.

COMMUNISTS KILLED 70 MILLION PERSONS IN THE WORLD (Lenin, Stalin, Pol Pot, Jemeres Rojos).

NAZIS 7 MILLLION.

ALL OF THEM WERE GENOCIDES, but it seems communists are some how tolerated now. Can anybody explain it to me?. They are the same sh***

#63974 - 11/30/03 08:13 AM Re: a very happy fmiketheman is going to spain in 7 days
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Okay, we have a thread that people tend to get emotionally involved about. If I may I'd like to comment on the following statement:
"Now you will have to take care of your personal belongings to avoid thiefs (non-spanish thiefs obviously)."
I'm afraid I don't suscribe to this notion of a totally safe Madrid prior to the last few years. You see I visited in 1992 and 1993 and on both occasions someone tried to pick my pockets. Indeed the guide books of the time alerted people to dangerous areas eg Gran Via (some things never change!!). ALso on one occasion someone tried to mug me with a knife. Again I was fortunate in that no money was taken and amazingly I was able to leave the assailant with bruised ribs. Nowadays I would choose discretion over valour. In those days there was a big drug-addiction problem (and very few immigrants) and consequently most if not all thieves were locally based.
I think the long term solution is to ensure people can get work - although there is now plenty of work in Spain, the GOvt has made sure that illegal immigrants cannot work legally (I think it's designed to discourage said immigration) and consequently I suspect some resort to illegal ways to get money. Having said that I travel a lot on buses going to different work sites and a lot of decent working people are Latin American immigrants. No problem at all (in fact they probably benefit the economy immensely).
This anti-immigrant debate has gone on for years in the UK. What people tend to forget is that for example 70% of nurses in London are from foreign countries. Without immigration, the UK health service would collapse...
Ok hope I've bored everyone to tears now and highly charged emotional comments may fade...

#63975 - 11/30/03 09:57 AM Re: a very happy fmiketheman is going to spain in 7 days
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Poor fmiketheman. His innocent "Hey! I'm going to Spain!" thread has turned into an ugly, racially charged topic. rolleyes It's amazing how that can happen!

Next thing you know, someone will mention what a wonderful tour they had of Barcelona's Parc Guell and someone will jump in and down the throat of the original poster stating something like "DON'T YOU KNOW NOW MANY INNOCENT PEOPLE WERE MURDERED DURING THE CIVIL WAR THERE?!? HOW DARE YOU MENTION THIS PARK!"... and on and on. Come on, people. rolleyes

Ugh, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#63976 - 11/30/03 10:57 AM Re: a very happy fmiketheman is going to spain in 7 days
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

hehe thanx for the "support"

don't worry im still going. cool laugh

2 days and counting!

#63977 - 12/01/03 06:44 AM Re: a very happy fmiketheman is going to spain in 7 days
deibid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid
Go on fmike! and bring your coat, it's getting chillier here!
And btw, I don't understand why ESPAÑOL20 says I'm a reacist. Does he know me? I have not said anything that implies I'm a racist, I thought I had made an anti-racist comment... well anybody reading español20's comment can understand that HE is the racist. I hope he tries to reply inteligently this time.

#63978 - 12/01/03 10:17 AM Re: a very happy fmiketheman is going to spain in 7 days
Espe3 Offline

I know its been forever!
Mike, we´re waiting for you here! Have a safe trip!!!!!

#63979 - 12/01/03 10:55 AM Re: a very happy fmiketheman is going to spain in 7 days
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
NO NAME-CALLING! mad We won't have that here. Debate is fine.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#63980 - 12/02/03 09:13 AM Re: a very happy fmiketheman is going to spain in 7 days
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

thanx espe3, MM, and deibid and others.

im leaving today!

p.s.
deibid you are not racist trust me.
but im not sure if espanol20 is.
if he is or not i dont care.

ANYWAYS... im leaving today!

hasta la vista!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments