Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#63935 - 11/12/03 04:13 PM Young children in Madrid:Things to do?
Clarkes Offline

Loc: Manchester, England, now livin...
Well, we've now been residents of Madrid for nearly 8 weeks, and are settling into the Spanish way of life. However, my wife is finding it difficult to find things to do during the day with our youngest children (3 and a half year old boy, and one and a half year old boy)whilst our eldest is at school and I am at the office. Is anyone out there in the same situation with youngsters, and would like to meet up during the day? We live near Arturo Soria, and would appreciate any comments, or advice on ideas of how to keep 2 tear-aways occupied!! In the UK, there seemed plenty of things available for that age group, but we seem to be struggling here. thanks in advance.

#63936 - 11/13/03 03:08 AM Re: Young children in Madrid:Things to do?
Miguelito Offline

Have you think about going with them to the park to play or for a walk?
Nowadays almost of the kids over 3 years old go to school because the father and the mother work and it's the better way to keep the child watched, but as they're so lucky to be with the mother ... my mother used to take me and my brother to play to the same park where kids of the same age from a nursery went, we had fun and we wished to beguin school (that's what my mother told me, obviously I don't remember as this was almost 30 years ago eek )
Take advantage of the good weather days. wink
Apart from this I have heard of some babies that beguin with swimming learning ..

#63937 - 11/14/03 03:53 AM Re: Young children in Madrid:Things to do?
Clarkes Offline

Thanks for that,
Any more suggestions, please let me know.
Cheers. Steve.

#63938 - 11/15/03 10:14 PM Re: Young children in Madrid:Things to do?
sobras Offline

Loc: EEUU
When you say that you live near Arturo Soria, do you mean the subway stop, or somewhere along the Avenida? I'm sure that you know where "Alcalá Norte" is. Right before it, on Arturo Soria, is the Iglesia de la Concepción. There's a small "Parque Infantil" there. Also, on the other side of the Avenida is another small play area. That will take care of things once in awhile. My kids LOVE to go rowing in the Estanque del Retiro. That will also keep them interested. In the Retiro, the weekends are great for kids. Sometimes there are puppet shows and other kinds of roving entertainment for kids.
My mother-in-law lives right around the corner from Alcalá Norte, so I'm very familiar with the area. When I retire (in about 6 years) I too will be living in Madrid. I visit it a lot, and was just there this past summer.

#63939 - 11/18/03 03:30 AM Re: Young children in Madrid:Things to do?
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
If you haven't already done it, pick up The Broadsheet and look in the classified section under "social." There are frequently ads for playgroups. Also, consider placing your own ad with a friend or two if you don't find one that interests you.

#63940 - 11/20/03 04:50 PM Re: Young children in Madrid:Things to do?
Clarkes Offline

Thanks for that.
Live near the Metro station on Arturo Soria, and yes- theres plenty of small playgrounds for the kids: it's just that winters not the best time to use them!!
Also we picked up a copy of the Broadsheet, and my wife's been to one or two of the playgroups which are really good. However, the problem is that they tend to be organised from 10.30 to 12.30, and she has to leave at 11.30 to pick up my middle child from Nursey at 12.00, meaning only 1 hour there.
Cheers for the info. smile

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments