Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#63926 - 10/29/03 12:13 PM Madrid's postal system for letter and package?
Lensman Offline

Thanks to Booklady's posts of 12-19-2002, 01-05-2003, and 06-28-2003. Global Priority Flat Rate Envelope is the way to send a small package to Madrid. Inexpensive compared to the private shipping companies and takes 4-6 days.

Thanks to GoMadrid's post of 12-19-2002, who mentioned that the addressee paid custom duties greater than the price of the shipped item.

My questions are about the Spanish post office system. Does it have mail-persons who deliver to business offices and homes, or do addressees have to pick up their mail at the post office? Is this true for both a letter and a package, since payment of custom duties may be required? If the addressee picks up mail at the post office, then is the addressee required to rent a postal box? If a mail-person brings a package to a residence, does the addressee have to be there in person for delivery, or will the package be left in front of the door?

Thanks in advance.

#63927 - 10/29/03 12:29 PM Re: Madrid's postal system for letter and package?
willson Offline

Loc: Almería
For envelopes and packages without duty to be paid:
Global Priority envelopes will be delivered to your door (home or office) with the regular mail. Anyone there may receive them. If no-one is available the envelope will not be left at the door; a notice to come and pick it up at the post office will be put into your mailbox.

Don't know about dutiable items.

#63928 - 10/29/03 02:40 PM Re: Madrid's postal system for letter and package?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Your postal envelopes are always delivered at your home and left to the clerk (or the mailbox) to be delivered to every neighbour (if there is more than one).

As for packages they are kept at the post office and a notice is delivered to your mailbox at home. You must then go to the post office with the notice (and usually your ID card) to take it. You don't have to rent a postal box. You can receive packages without having one.

Fernando

#63929 - 10/29/03 05:29 PM Re: Madrid's postal system for letter and package?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Thank you, Lensman, you warmed the cockles of my librarian heart! Information is my business! laugh

#63930 - 10/30/03 05:37 AM Re: Madrid's postal system for letter and package?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
lensman writes:
Quote:
... Global Priority Flat Rate Envelope is the way to send a small package to Madrid. Inexpensive compared to the private shipping companies and takes 4-6 days.
I sent an airline ticket that I had procured with my Frequent Flyer miles to a cousin in Madrid who was coming to visit us (in Phila.) and another relative (in Oklahoma). I used Global Priority mail and was startled when she called us 2-days later to tell us she had received it. It was from Philadelphia to (28042) Madrid. That was fast!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments