Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63891 - 10/08/03 08:27 PM Spanish Smokers Mad!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Can anyone who has visited Spain recently imagine Spain without smokers? Infamy!
According to a recent issue of the International Herald Tribune Spaniards are not happy. The EU mandate that cigarettes come with such salacious labels as described in the article are causing scorn and disdain among many smokers.
Quote:
"Smoking may damage sperm and reduce fertility," read the boldface warning on his cigarette package, one of a host of cautionary messages required, as of Wednesday, to be printed on all tobacco products sold in the European Union.
[José]Sanz grimaced. "They're trying to make our lives miserable," he said, then shook his head at another menacing label: "Smoking may reduce blood flow and cause impotence."
But the warnings, which must cover about one-third of the surface area of every cigarette package, are not stopping people like Sanz, a 45-year-old businessman, from lighting up. Rather than quit, smokers in Spain are simply buying leather or metal cases to hide the unpleasant warnings. One merchant, Miguel García, 44, started handing out alternative labels for customers to place over the warnings. "Driving may endanger your health," reads one.
The smokers themselves are laughing with scorn. "How can the state protect me, when I've been smoking for 20 years and I knew it was unhealthy from Day One?" said María José Cañete, 47, whose pack of cigarettes read, "Protect the children: Don't make them inhale tobacco smoke." Nacho Mateo, 23, saves the empty cigarette boxes. "It's become a joke to see what slogan you're going to get," he said. "It's really hypocritical. Why not put warning signs on cars or pictures of diseased livers on bottles of alcohol?"
Mateo's reaction is typical in Spain, where the government is busy drafting antismoking laws to keep up with European Union directives, while people blow smoke in its face.

#63892 - 10/09/03 05:07 AM Re: Spanish Smokers Mad!
Miguelito Offline

They're also sending through internet new messages looking like those which advise things like these:

Rajoy fuma (Rajoy Smokes, he's the man who will follow Aznar on the PP)

Fumar mola (Smoking is cool)

Fumar asegura buenas timbas de poker y mus
(Smoking assure good poker and mus games)

Fumar (sobre todo mezclado) relaja un huevo
(Smoking (specially mixed) relax a lot)

Ya que no f***o que me joda el tabaco
(This is not possible to translate)

you can look here http://www.areino.com/alf/content/tabaco.pdf

I think Joe Sambuca and other smokers suffering NY restrictions will enjoy

#63893 - 10/09/03 07:34 AM Re: Spanish Smokers Mad!
mikey Offline

Loc: ny
LOL

How silly.

#63894 - 10/09/03 07:38 AM Re: Spanish Smokers Mad!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course, nothing can be done for those drug adicts, but for making them think that they shoud try not to drug their children, or bother us ( a matter of sheer education), ..., with their smoke.

And these messages might disuade youngsters to become tobacco adicts.

#63895 - 10/09/03 12:32 PM Re: Spanish Smokers Mad!
mikey Offline

Of Course!

Everyone break out their Psych. 101 textbooks. I know smoking is bad for myself and others so, instead of facing it and dealing with the issue I'll deny it (by buying designer carton covers!)

So lemme get this straight. You now have to spend money on the cigs AND on the covers?

#63896 - 10/09/03 03:12 PM Re: Spanish Smokers Mad!
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is only one more pressure on the bad conscience of the adicts, who know they are doing wrong but do not have the education, the guts or the strength to overcome their adiction even for some hour, even in front of babies , pregant women, ill people or workmates to whom they make them smoke the equivalent to several cigarrets along a day of work.

I don't know what is worse, thinking that they may be rude enough to make us swallow that horrid smell, which makes me furious, or that they cannot help it because they are ill with withdrawal symptoms, which makes me sad for them.

This measures slowly cange people's mind and make they realize that this selfish people are poisoning their children and their mates, and that they are to blame. And this is the right direction, because I still remember twenty years ago, when I had to "enjoy" that damn*d smell in buses, trains, ..., everywhere, and if you dared to compain of this agression, you were looked at like if you were crazy, and despised, and it could even lead to an argument or a quarrel.

Slowly, slowly, people is getting conscious on who is agreding who, and why.

By the way, I am very glad that they spend money on covers, Ionly regret that they don't need to be of platinun so that they would need to spend more.

Imagine that somebody who likes to smoke Marihuana does it, but half the effect it produces in him also was produced in you, since you are breathing it too.

Bad, ¿no? The, why do we have to be more exposed to cancer, lung illnesses, ans that terible stink when somebody smokes by us? If it was only him the damaed it would be ok. I won't complain if somebody smokes in the fields. As long as I don't have to suffer it, I don't mind what tehy do.

#63897 - 10/09/03 05:15 PM Re: Spanish Smokers Mad!
Rocinante Offline

Loc: N. Redondo Beach, CA
All I have to say is I'd smoke free second-hand Marijuana smoke anyday.

#63898 - 10/09/03 05:35 PM Re: Spanish Smokers Mad!
Anonymous
Unregistered

By the way, me too! But some might not, or me if I was going to drive afterwards. laugh

#63899 - 10/09/03 08:10 PM Re: Spanish Smokers Mad!
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Personally, I don't care if someone smokes, just don't do it in my car or house or when Im having my meals! Cigarette smoke doesn't smell good, it stinks...people that smoke smell...their breath, hair, clothes. Even when they shower, they still smell of smoke. A big, BIG, turn-off for me is a woman that smells of cigarettes! Smokers and people that don't bathe have the same problem...they can't smell themselves to notice that they are offensive to others.

Like I said, I have nothing against smokers. After all, Im not the one that smells, has a hacking cough, gets the jitters every 5 minutes, or can't taste or smell my food. Don't you just love it when a women's hair smells like stale cigarettes, her clothes smell like she's been standing next to a fire pit, and her teeth are brown when she smiles? Man...am I getting turned on! rolleyes

#63900 - 10/10/03 07:57 AM Re: Spanish Smokers Mad!
mikey Offline

That's what I'm saying. GO ahead and buy the covers...waste more money who cares. Not me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments