Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63800 - 07/29/03 11:52 AM Electrical Adaptors
Moulangi Offline

Loc: Madrid
I'd eventually like to live in Spain. If I want to move my electrical stuff of high wattage (like iron, microwave, washing machine) will I be ok just using lots of adaptors in the house? Are there any safety probs with this? There's no other way of converting is there?

Clare

#63801 - 07/29/03 11:57 AM Re: Electrical Adaptors
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
If you're going to live in Spain, wouldn't it be best to just buy all your appliances and such there? You weren't really planning on moving a washing machine there, were you?

#63802 - 07/29/03 10:10 PM Re: Electrical Adaptors
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Buy it all there!
There's no need to take all those big items when they are all there waiting for you.
Plus, they'll be made to work and you won't need all those adaptors.

#63803 - 08/15/03 08:47 AM Re: Electrical Adaptors
Moulangi Offline

What if you've bought them already though?? Don't want to buy new ones

#63804 - 08/15/03 10:24 AM Re: Electrical Adaptors
Espe3 Offline

You could use adaptors all over the place: yes there is a safety problem with this. The more adaptors you use, the higher the possibility of shorts (as an adaptor is supposed to be a temporary fix- not for permanent use) and thus- power outages or fires or ruining your appliances.

As far as the washer- I don't know about the UK- but I know the washers (although take longer) are more energy and water efficient than in the US- you may want to take that into consideration since drought and conserving water in spain are big issues.

In the UK you guys also usually have larger living quarters than in Spain- so what you have you'll have to be sure will fit wherever you're going. If you're renting chances are the place will have a washer already.

As far as if you've already bought them- if you were planning on moving, its never a good idea to purchase such items until you know where you're going what you'll need, what is really necessary. Consider selling them and purchasing again in Spain- I don't know how new/old the items are, but its something to consider.

Good luck with your move! smile

#63805 - 08/15/03 04:18 PM Re: Electrical Adaptors
Moulangi Offline

Thanks. That's exactly the information i was looking for. Bummer cos I've been buying stuff here but yeah guess I could sell em all. Bought the washer cos it was the best for energy and water efficiency. Probably be renting to start with and then buying. Maybe this is all a lesson in non attachment.
A few addaptors ok permanently though or not really? What started me off was seeing that some of the cheaper addaptors are only for up to 7 amps see.

Thanks again
Appliance addict wink

#63806 - 08/18/03 12:21 AM Re: Electrical Adaptors
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
The people at Magellans , which is is a travel products catalog, have heavy duty converters, quoted to be suitable for "high wattage and/or long term use".

The guys at Hostal Adriano lived in the US for a period of time, where they bought several appliances. I have been asked to purchase several converters to deliver to them! :p

#63807 - 08/18/03 08:52 AM Re: Electrical Adaptors
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Sell the rest, but don't go without your kettle! wink

#63808 - 08/18/03 09:46 AM Re: Electrical Adaptors
Espe3 Offline

Using some adaptors (Not transformers) on some smaller appliances- especially if they're not always plugged in (like your iron) should be fine.

You may have problems if you're using them on everything in the house! :p

Mongo- adaptors, converters and transformers are all available in Spain, why don't they buy them over there instead of having you lugging them over!? :p

#63809 - 08/20/03 06:04 AM Re: Electrical Adaptors
Moulangi Offline

Thing is, I'm English so American>Spanish adaptors no good.

What? Do they do English>Spanish adaptors in Spain?

I'm a bit confused all in all now. Part of me happy to take all my items over there and part of me thinking sell them all. They're all less than 4 years old some like my tele a few days. I'm not planning on moving immediately... within the next year. There's no trick where an electrician can convert the voltage or anything?

Electrically challenged
Clare

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments