Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#63694 - 07/03/03 03:58 PM Mobile Phone in Spain: Pre-Pay or Not Pre-Pay
that_girl Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I am going to be in Spain for 1 month and I am trying to figure out what is the best and cheapest option for making and receiving calls. Note, this does NOT have anything to do with my ability to call from Spain to the U.S. - only has to do with me talking to my friends in Spain.

I have a dual-band GSM mobile phone from T-Mobile here in San Francisco. T-Mobile's international rates are very good compared to any other mobile service in the States - only 99 cents/minute roaming.

I have unlocked my SIM card thinking it would be cheaper to buy a prepaid SIM. But looking around on the internet for the SIM card prices, I don't think it will be cheaper. I didn't realize there would be such a high cost to purchase the card in the first place - 60 euros seems to be the norm, with only 18-22 euros talk-time included, with the idea that I would then refill the card when needed.

My question is - how much will it cost if I wait until I'm in Spain and buy a prepaid SIM there, instead of online? Is it the same? I don't see how this is cost-effective, or cheaper, as so many people claim. The only people it seems to be cheaper for are my friends in Spain who want to call me - it won't be long distance for them.

Any thoughts? I did a search and couldn't find anything specifically related to the initial cost of the SIM, nor anything recent that discusses the lower cost of roaming for US mobile phones.

Thanks,
...Syd

#63695 - 07/03/03 04:23 PM Re: Mobile Phone in Spain: Pre-Pay or Not Pre-Pay
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
When I was in Spain studying last semester, I bought a vodafone cell phone. It cost me 70 euros for the phone and 30 euros worth of prepaid minutes. After that I just bought the recarga cards to recharge my minutes. You had a choice between 15, and 30 euro cards. Im not sure how it works if you didnt first buy the package deal from them though.
Good luck! smile

#63696 - 07/03/03 05:34 PM Re: Mobile Phone in Spain: Pre-Pay or Not Pre-Pay
Espe3 Offline

That-girl,
Getting it in Spain will be around the same cost- but if you purchase the card there, you should get more talk time (usually a 50euro card will come with the same in talk time) Now, if you're buying a phone package (phone included) obviously you're getting a better deal because the phone is included, and its the same price! (I've done both, purchased package(I killed the first phone- and later bought a new one), and then just the card- when my card died- because my 2nd phone still worked- the cost was the same. The minutes I got were the same- phone or no phone.

As for cost effective... in the long run, you'll save more money than you think- as using your Am phone and calling rates for regular use in Spain will cost you a small fortune.

As for your friends there- highly unlikely that they'll be willing to call you considering they're going to be paying long distance rates- its going to cost them a fortune also!

As for calling the states- buy a phone card- you'll get even cheaper rates to call the us, and you can use them from a friends phone (or your own if you're going to have one where you live) or a public phone.

#63697 - 07/03/03 07:13 PM Re: Mobile Phone in Spain: Pre-Pay or Not Pre-Pay
that_girl Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I think I'll just wait and see. I do plan on buying a calling card for most calls.

My phone is US$0.99/minute flat rate to use in Europe. I did a bit of math, and it seems that if I sparingly use it, it will be about the same cost as buying a pre-paid SIM card. I don't plan on talking on the phone a lot. It's mostly in case I need to call ahead to a hotel, or if I have to call a friend about where to meet. The one person in Spain who might *need* to call me already does so - long distance - so it shouldn't be a problem for him.

The one thing I wish I could have read prior to deciding to get a GSM phone is how much the SIM card costs to purchase in the first place. If I had known about the package deals - great deals, by the way! - I would have just bought the whole shebang in Spain. So many people say "buy the tri-band phone in the States first" to save money, but in reality it seems to be more expensive that way.

Thanks!

(only 6 days til I am on a British Airways flight to Madrid!)

...Syd

#63698 - 07/04/03 12:04 PM Re: Mobile Phone in Spain: Pre-Pay or Not Pre-Pay
kk49827 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
As a employee in the wireless business, I can tell you, it's always cheaper to buy it when you get there. It might more of a hassle, but it is cheaper and you can be sure it will work.
Europe is far ahead of the United States with wireless technology. Because of this, the prices are much lower and you'll find the phone works fantastic. But, I guess it's good that you have the phone you do, in case you need to use it before you find a prepaid card.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1786 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments