Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >
Topic Options
#63509 - 05/30/03 08:16 AM ETA kills again
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Quote:

El Mundo. 30 de Mayo de 2003
Dos policías nacionales han muerto al estallar la bomba lapa que tenía adosada su coche en la localidad navarra de Sangüesa. Se trata de Bonifacio Martín Hernando y Julián Envit Luna. Otro agente, Ramón Rodríguez Hernández, sufre amputación de ambas piernas y se encuentra en estado muy grave. Está siendo atendido en el Hospital de Navarra. La Delegación del Gobierno había informado previamente de su fallecimiento. Además el trabajador de Telefónica Carlos Gallo ha resultado herido leve.

Los agentes formaban parte de un equipo que acudía a las zonas rurales de Navarra para facilitar la renovación del DNI. Por ello, se habían desplazado a las oficinas habilitadas de manera temporal en la Casa de la Cultura de Sagüensa.
Translation:

Quote:

El Mundo. 30th of May, 2003
Two national policemen have died when the stick-bomb attached to their car blew-up, in the town of Sangüesa in Navarre. They are Bonifacio Martín Hernando and Julián Envit Luna. Another policeman, Ramón Rodríguez Hernández, has suffered the amputation of both legs, and his health-status is in critical. He is being treated in the Navarre Hospital. The Gobernment Delegation had previously informed of his death. The Telefonica worker Carlos Gallo has also been gravely injured.

The two agents were part of a team who attended to the rural zones of Navarre, in order to give the citizens an easier way of making the ID card renovation. For that reason, they had moved temporally to the offices in the Culture House of Sangüesa.
ETA is blame of the killings. These same people are the ones that CNN keeps on calling "the basque separatist group ETA". They are nothing but a bunch of terrorists and bloody criminals who deserve to be for all they life imprisoned.

Fernando

#63510 - 05/31/03 09:18 AM Re: ETA kills again
el viajero Offline

I don't have a problem with CNN's wording. It focuses on the points on which I think we can all agree: they're Basque, they're a group, and Basque independence is their stated goal. And they're killing people: that is the essence of the CNN reports. Anything beyond that gets into loaded language: the line between a freedom-fighter and a terrorist is mighty slim. (Wasn't it Benjamin Franklin who observed that revolutions are always illegal in the third person and legal in the first person?)

Whatever they are, they're killing innocent people and should expect to face the consequences.

#63511 - 05/31/03 10:55 AM Re: ETA kills again
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

With all due respect el viajero, I can't agree with your statement.

ETA does not represent the basque people, ETA is not a group, but a band, and ETA does not seek separatism, but the elimination of any other political choice and the establishment of a marxist-leninist regime of terror in the Basque Country by violent means.

To call it "Basque Separatist Group" is a cruel euphemism. What would distinguish themselves from other groups which are really basque separatist groups (as for example Eusko Alkartasuna, a legal political party).

Thanks God the US Government has seen the difference. ETA and their "political" arm Batasuna are considered by US Government and EU countries as terrorist bands. The US Government is also helping our government to erradicate this bloody criminals.

Fernando

#63512 - 05/31/03 11:23 AM Re: ETA kills again
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Fernando, excellent explanation. I totally agree with your comment on CNN. They have been taken to task many times for the way they use language.
In this case, as you pointed out the ambivelance may lead readers to believe that all Basques who believe in a separatist Basque state are part of this killer group, and that is just not the case.

#63513 - 05/31/03 01:35 PM Re: ETA kills again
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Right on Fernando;

This was being an incredibly tranquil year in this regard, with so far "only" one other killing last February,....I guess the criminals of ETA didn't want to be outstaged by the Iraqi war situation, but now that it's over, they want to claim center stage in this, horrid, nightmarish obscene scenario. mad

I wished with all my heart that both CNN, Amnesty International, and several other organizations/people would get their stories right about ETA once and for all.

#63514 - 05/31/03 10:31 PM Re: ETA kills again
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Sad news indeed, those ETA animals continue their rabid ways. frown

I too disagree with calling them a "separtist group". It is time they call a spade a spade, ETA is a ruthless terrorist band, nothing less is correct. How would Americans feel if CNN called Al-Queda an "islamic separtist group"? I ,for one, would throw my TV out the window upon hearing such nonsense. mad

The amazing thing for me has been the attitude of PNV and it's followers. It seems they want to convert themselves into the poltical wing of ETA. PNV used to be a "Basque separtist group", but it is beginning to look more like an ally of ETA. mad

Saludos

#63515 - 06/01/03 08:42 AM Re: ETA kills again
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Shawn,

A BIG THANKS to you for understanding. frown

Saludos. smile

#63516 - 06/01/03 09:22 AM Re: ETA kills again
zorro37 Offline

Loc: England
Fernando, my heart goes out to the brave policemen who daily put their lives at risk against ETA. Their killings and maimings are always the cowards way. Hopefully now the French authorities are more active more of them will see the inside of prison.
El viajero's reasoning is the same as the misguided people who supported & funded the so called Irish Republican "Army" (IRA)whose organisation is disintergrating into criminal & drug running activities.

#63517 - 06/01/03 09:24 AM Re: ETA kills again
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Shawn, you have the insight of a spaniard and the objectiveness of being a forgeiner wink

I say the same as Pim: Thanks.

Thanks zorro, thank you very much.

Terrorism is terrorism everywhere. There is not political arguement which can support the assasination of a person.

We have nothing but gratitude for the countries who are helping us against these criminals, mainly France, US, Belgium and central and south-american countries.

Fernando

#63518 - 06/01/03 01:21 PM Re: ETA kills again
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Ugh, another ETA/Basque politics thread... is it really that necesary to bring it up everytime there is an attack? There are many different views on this subject and if you do a quick search you will find previous threads on this idea. Can we just move on before things turn ugly?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments