Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#63364 - 04/06/03 08:31 AM Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Everybody!!!!
(deeeep breath) Ah yes... here I am.. writing you direct from my favorite place on our earth. While I won´t bore you with many details here, you can, if interested, read MadridMan\'s Daily Online Journal .

But things are fine here. Very fine. In fact, very lazy at the moment but this is the first weekend of my arrival which is usually like "the calm before the storm". Monday/tomorrow starts 10-12 hour days on my feet sight-seeing, photographing, traveling, running, eating, visiting, learning, meeting, and other things that will cause my feet to ache by evening and force me to sleep soundly each night.

I love it here. I love it here. I feel very much "at home".

I´ll update this thread from time to time but the bulk of the information will be on the journal . Now.... it´s time for PAELLA!! :p

Saludos, laugh MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#63365 - 04/06/03 12:08 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Welcome back MM! smile

#63366 - 04/06/03 06:53 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Fernando, I hope to see YOU on Friday night! smile I don´t think I can wait until Friday though to eat my first bocadillo de calamares. Mmm.... :p

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#63367 - 04/08/03 02:58 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Had a GREAT day in Toledo today!!! Saw the El Greco Museum, the Toledo Cathedral, Plaza Zocodover, AND WALKED to the Parador for that great view of the city!! read all about it here! smile Unfortunately, the Alcázar was CLOSED for renovations. rolleyes

Saludos, MadridMan

#63368 - 04/08/03 04:12 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hey, MM, great story of your travels in Toledo! It's sad that the Alcázar was closed, but there's so much else to see in Toledo that I am sure you still felt that it was a wonderful trip.

I love the church of San Juan de los Reyes, and also the church of Santa Maria la Blanca (which is Toledo's oldest synagogue, and was later reconsecrated as a church)--those would be worthwhile stops on your next trip!

Did you get the "AudioGuide" for the cathedral? We did that and were really glad of it. It told us lots of details about what we were seeing in that amazing place!

I am GREEN with envy about your Fanta Limón, BTW.

#63369 - 04/08/03 07:58 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
MM, I also loved reading about your escapades in Toledo...I could just imagine where you walked ( wow! ---what a long walk) You must be tired. I hope you still had some energy left to go for tapas when you got back to Madrid. laugh Thanks for sharing your thoughts and impressions...it is SO wonderful to be part of your trip. DISFRUTELO...

#63370 - 04/08/03 11:00 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
NEWYORKRED Offline

Loc: NEW YORK, NEW YORK
Hey MM, looking forward to seeing you in person. Can't wait for the night to begin on Friday until the cows come home!!!!!!!!!!
Saludos
NEW YORK RED & Company

#63371 - 04/08/03 11:17 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
MadridMan,
You are too cool
I love your journal. Thank you for sharing Toledo. I almost felt I was there too! Fanta de Limón, Ay! I can't wait for the photographs and for the next installment! Enjoy!

#63372 - 04/09/03 01:01 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
MM, as always, I love reading your journal entries!!!
We leave in about 36 hours!!!!! See you Friday night!!!1 laugh

#63373 - 04/09/03 06:45 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Hey MMan!, I'm currently unemployed frown frown frown frown frown ,so feel free to send me a mail if you find yourself 'solito' and want to go for some tapas or something.

#63374 - 04/10/03 06:12 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MATADOR Offline

Loc: BOSTON
Great, you are here. MM see you tomorrow. Party time.

#63375 - 04/10/03 10:41 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
JoeSambuca Offline

I'm Airbourne soon!
Get the sangria ready!!
laugh

#63376 - 04/10/03 03:41 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Today I took the Royal Palace tour and walked through old Lavapies! Oh, and I looked up the nostrils of a stuffed bull too. cool Also, is it POSSIBLE to eat TOO MUCH tortilla de patatas in one day? wink

Saludos, MadridMan

#63377 - 04/10/03 04:37 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Hey MM,
Did the Tortilla de patatas happen to have pieces of chorizo or Jamon, by any chance?

If so, be sure to take Tagamet with you. I cannot wait to read your journal on the Palace and Lavapies.
Salud2

#63378 - 04/10/03 05:23 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
ABP Offline

Loc: MADRID
Hey MM great your Toledo report.
I´ll see you tomorrow. I´ll be on holiday the next week .I offer my car for a day trip to Oropesa(Toledo) and Guadalupe to you , your girlfriend and other two MM members .We can make more specific tomorrow party.

ABP

#63379 - 04/11/03 10:24 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

MM, I see from your journals that you've become a Fanta Limón addict! I treated myself to a six-pack of the San Pellegrino lemon soda the other day, inspired by your reports. It's good, but not AS GOOD as the Fanta. wink

#63380 - 04/12/03 07:23 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Wow! What a party last night! Read all about it (as if you haven´t already) and today´s lunch with the famed Antonio on the MadridMan´s Madrid/País Vasco Trip page.

MMmm... Fanta Limón. Mmmmm... Saludos, MadridMan

#63381 - 04/14/03 05:15 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
papi Offline

Loc: LONDRES!!!!
MM, tried to read your report on the infamous mm party, but the links not working confused

#63382 - 04/17/03 02:46 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
timandmaria2 Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, California
Hi!

Madridman it is so exciting to read the journal about your adventurous trips in Madrid. I appreciate the details of the places you go to eat, drink, siesta, and whatever!!! smile All this information helps me to look forward to Madrid, considering it will be my first time. I will take note of the many places you have visited before my trip. Keep up the good work on your site. Until next time, bye.

Saludos from Bakersfield. laugh

#63383 - 04/18/03 01:53 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

New update on the journal up until the last night there! I´ll finish it tonight. smile

#63384 - 04/18/03 05:08 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
NEWYORKRED Offline

wink
Hey MM again, thank-you for thewonderful gathering last Friday night. I am in need of advice I would like very much to post the photos of all your guests. One problem, how do I do it?????

#63385 - 04/19/03 02:08 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I just finished the last two days of the Basque Region/País Vasco Trip Journal as well as the recent days here in Madrid. More excitement (??? confused ) to come! Next week is my last one here and I have MUCH to do. Enjoy!

Saludos, MadridMan

#63386 - 04/19/03 07:08 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Madridman,

My mouth is watering after reading your journal, don't let your lady-friend stop you from writing about Spain's great cuisine.

I do have to correct one thing.

Quote:
All our steaks were great which we ate with a bottle of red wine from TORO, a VERY nice old city known for its wines in the province of Valladolid
Toro does have some great wines, but it is located in the neighboring province of Zamora.I think our friend Antonio could tell you about all of Zamora's splendour, it is truly a beautiful and nontouristy destination.

Cheers

#63387 - 04/20/03 08:34 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks Shawn! I´ve JUST corrected that in the journal . smile

Saludos, MadridMan

#63388 - 04/20/03 10:25 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
NEWYORKRED

Have you had any luck with the photos yet? Are they digital? If you already have them on disc or pc then it would just be a quick job of putting them onto some webspace somewhere and uploading them - eg DIGITAL X-FER WEB SPACE it only takes a few minutes. You have to register first (it's free) and then it talks you through the process of uploading.

Of course, if you only have hard copies of the pics, you'll have to scan them first and then upload them.

Once they are on the web space you just put them on an MM message you have started by clicking on the IMAGE button and inserting the URL of the photo (which you can copy by right clicking the mouse on each photo and then 'properties' and then copying the URL given there).

Alternatively you could just give the URL of the web space which allows about 6 photos per page. If you did this then the photos wouldn't be seen within the message, readers would have to visit the web page.

I hope I'm not being too presumtious in presuming (is that right?) that you only needed this kind of basic info, or did you need something more technical?

I can't wait to see them anyway cool

Jo

#63389 - 04/22/03 02:40 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi ALL! The previous two days of MadridMan´s Madrid & Basque Region 2003 Journal was uploaded recently. It includes a nighttime photography session of Madrid which lasted until 5:00am! eek

Saludos, MadridMan

#63390 - 04/22/03 07:19 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
pim Offline

Wait! MMan, you're willing and able to stay up that late just to take some pics, and not for the MMan gatherings? Mmmmm.... rolleyes wink

I just browsed a little through your diary from your northern trip, and have a couple of comments to make....(about the lack of white wine situation)....WHAT???!!! Are you telling me you didn't have txacoli?! eek
(And about another culinary matter)....Do you really think it's a good idea to eat spaguetti while in San Sebastian?! rolleyes

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed the beauty, elegance, style,....of that amazing city, as I knew you would, who wouldn't? smile . After just reading a few lines I feel like taking a little trip myself very, very soon (but I know I'd stuff myself with pintxos (I just looove the "Basque method" for paying those), accompanied by zuritos ('cañas', small beers), and txacoli (which would be sort of the Basque equivalent to the Galician Albariño wine).

Aahhhh!

Part II:

MMan, I'm so glad you got to try torrijas during Holy Week. They are just like French toasts indeed; the milk (though some people use wine instead!), the eggs, the sugar, the cinnammon....but made with our own type of bread(loaf). I went away for the most part of the Holy Week, so this time I did not make any, I still feel a little bad about it, I just looove to follow that tradition year after year....however I did eat MANY at my grandma's laugh !

Hey! this reminds me I have bought an English-Spanish diccionary that has very useful translations of culinary terms, so I'm thinking of reviving(can you say that?) the old thread with recipes of Spanish dishes when I have a little time (I've finally started to work again smile ).

Part III:

Just so you know, "I forgive you" for dining at VIPS, since it was 1AM. :p

#63391 - 04/22/03 08:56 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
MadridMan,

VIPS????? mad I think I would have prefered one of those bocadillos sold by the chinese at 4 in the morning in front of every bar or discoteque, than a VIPS' meal. Oh well, no hay pecado sin remisión. wink

Torrijas, yummy!yummy! I love them with a couple of spoonfuls of honey from Burgos, I bought myself a couple of jars of honey before leaving Spain just so I could enjoy torrijas with my favourite honey. :p AS Pim has noted, it is a very easy recipe, one that even I can follow. Although, I can't find the exact same bread here, but one that works well enough, so well in fact that I am running out of my beloved honey! laugh

¡Buen provecho!

Pim,

I am so glad that you are back working, with so many talents you should always be in demand.

It would be great if you and Fernando could revive the recipe thread. Maybe you would have a family recipe for migas argonesas???? :p It looks simple, but it is very tasty. I can honestly say since I left Spain that I have done far more cooking than before my Spanish experience, and of course most of my cooking is Spanish, tortillas, arroz a la cubana, torrijas, and flan. All simple, and all delicious.

¡Qué lo pases fenomenal!

#63392 - 04/23/03 05:31 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
pim Offline

Shawnito,

As always, you keep saying things that make me feel good. !GRACIAS, eres muy amable¡ smile

Unfortunately, I don't have a family recipe for migas, but surely I can look for one. I'm currently working on a recipe for pisto and coming up I have the recipes for boquerones en vinagre, tortilla paisana, patatas ali-oli, and bacalao a la vizcaína.

#63393 - 04/24/03 08:11 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Just uploaded the last two days of the journal which included my day(s) with Antonio as well as my night out with Julio & Jesús.

Shawnito, I told them about your VIPS comments and their response was that VIPS is the only thing open where you can sit and relax for a meal at 1am until their 3am closing time. Plus, according to them, the one in SERRANO is the nicest of the bunch in Madrid.

Saludos, MadridMan

#63394 - 04/25/03 05:34 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Yesterday´s journal entry has been posted which inludes my dinner in Huertas with Antonio, his sister and cousins.

ONLY 3 DAYS LEFT!!!! frown

Sadly, MadridMan

#63395 - 04/25/03 04:53 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
SRedw Offline

Don't feel sad, MadridMan. You know that you will go back for good, ONE DAY!

Un abrazo fuerte,

Shawn

#63396 - 04/25/03 05:03 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

We need you to go back, MM, to be able to report on your daily diet for us. You don't know what TORTURE it is to hear about your wonderful Spanish meals and adventures--I am simply green with envy.

So enjoy and start planning your return (I know you're doing that already).

Tara smile

#63397 - 04/25/03 11:18 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
Espe3 Offline

Jejejej! NOW MadridMan, do you know why its BETTER to use the PUBLIC transportation when possible! wink :p

Don't worry, you'll be back sooner than you know it! I can almost guarentee it'll be BEFORE I get to go back! :o

Remember, its Hasta luego, not Adios! laugh

#63398 - 04/26/03 05:49 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

The Journal was just uploaded for yesterday´s account. I was mostly alone, walking and shopping, but at night my ladyfriend and I had dinner at Casa Botín!!! Mmmmm...

Saludos, MadridMan

#63399 - 04/26/03 09:21 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

That entry made me cry, MM--I remember so vividly my last night of my summer in Salamanca, doing just what you were doing--holding hands with a special person, walking through the darkened streets and telling myself "I have to remember absolutely EVERYTHING about this"--how it looked, felt, smelled, sounded, tasted. My best memory of that night was of sitting on a stone bench with my friend, looking at the beautiful Plaza Mayor through teary eyes and saying to myself, "I WILL COME BACK HERE." And I did--again and again!

For anyone who hasn't yet experienced this magical sensation, it's very similar (for me) to the feeling you have on a gorgeous early-spring morning, walking through a park and noticing the sounds of birds, the green of the new grass, the first buds on the branches of trees. Everything fills your eyes and you're really AWARE of your surroundings in a way many of us usually aren't. Add to that some wistfulness about food, good friends, a special someone--and on go the water works! Boo-hoo!

#63400 - 04/26/03 10:41 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Taravb, you need a Spain Fix, gal!

MM, did you get to keep the Casa Botín wine carafe? When we visited, I asked the waiter if I could buy the carafe and he said, keep it, and now it sits proudly on my table with daisies, a daily reminder of a very nice retaurant. I did leave the waiter a big tip! laugh

MM, I feel that this trip you've taken us through a culinary tour of Madrid! The sumptious descriptions of the food and drinks is wonderful, and will give your readers ideas of what to try when they reach Madrid, instead of eating at, dare I say it, VIPS ! laugh

Gracias!

#63401 - 04/27/03 01:46 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Notice: The last installment of the journal, the one for Saturday (yesterday) will have to wait until I return home. There´s just no time to finish it here. Leaving within two hours. frown

Saludos, MadridMan

#63402 - 04/27/03 09:20 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Taravb, everybody, oh my gosh your going to make me cry frown . Thats exactly how i felt when i left Bilbao after spending the last summer studying there. Now, my semester here in Granada is coming to and end way to fast and i fly home
May 9. Im trying not to think about leaving, already trying to plot out how I can manage to come back again. frown
Kelly

#63403 - 04/27/03 11:48 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
pim Offline

¡¡¡Que tengas un buen viaje MMan!!! smile frown

Hey, JoeSambuca too went recently to Botin and got a superspecial treatment. Richie, why don't you post the pics of you being shown the kitchen of the place by the manager? cool

MMan,
It's hard to believe you tried 'calamares o chipirones en su tinta' and didn't like them (specially considering you looove the bocadillos de calamares laugh ). OK, I guess for a foreigner it must be weird at first to try a black sauce, but they're really good; however, next time you find yourself in the Basque country you can always opt for chipirones a lo Pelayo (Pelayo style), they're mmmmm....

#63404 - 04/27/03 02:59 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
JoeSambuca Offline

Good idea Pim

Botin Pics

#63405 - 04/27/03 03:50 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

You rascal! How did you get the grand tour? Botin's really is a special place, isn't it? Were you able to be down in the cuevas . That is my favorite place to eat. I also love it when the Tuna comes in to serenade. HEy when are we going to have anothe MM gathering in Ny to hear all about your trip? Let's plan.

#63406 - 04/27/03 06:59 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
NEWYORKRED Offline

HEY PIM AND ESPERANZA
Long time no see Esperanza since our dancing debut. Pim it was wonderful to see you again.I'm so happy you found a job!
These are the rest of the pics I took that infamous Saturday at Botin
http://www.digitalxfer.com/webxfer.shtml?ANNOCONNOR
See you lovely ladies in a few months

HEY ESPERANZA AND PIM: THESE ARE THE REST OF THE PICS FROM MADRIDMAN'S PARTY!!!!!

http://www.digitalxfer.com/webxfer.shtml?aoconnor

#63407 - 04/28/03 07:55 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
pim Offline

Hey Ann, looking as radiant as ever! laugh
I'm curious, did your two friends enjoy the "sucking pig experience"? smile

#63408 - 04/28/03 06:06 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
NEWYORKRED Offline

In fact PIM, Eugene met the Chef of Casa Botin and had a personal tour of the dungeon kitchens for over an hour. He with Kevin and Richie were given a lesson on the "wooden ovens" that are over 15 feet deep with the long paddles to insert the many suckling pigs. And then we were treated to a wonderful luncheon. Now that's class.
Soon in a few months I and the upcoming sous chefs will return for another venue and another round of good conversation with you and the gang. Can you do me a favour? Can you help me get in touch with Chloe Devic, and Mario? i want to email them pix.
Thanks PIM!!! laugh

#63409 - 05/01/03 10:32 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
edinabfab Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Hello everyone!! This is my first time posting although I have been reading the posts here for a couple of years.

Madridman I am so glad you had such a great time in Spain. I love your journal, it made me feel like I was there also!!

In fact I was in Madrid for about 3 days (4/24 - 4/27) and I think we were on the same flight back to Philly on Sunday at 1 p.m. Small World! Also, on Thursday night when you were in the Puerta del Sol, I was just about to enter the Palacio Gavira for a night of dancing with friends. It was a blast, but unfortunately, I don't have the energy anymore to stay out as long as the madrillenos do. smile

Have a great day everyone and keep up the posts!!! It gives me a piece of sunny spain in dreary cold michigan!!

#63410 - 05/01/03 01:09 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Sorry folks.. I PROMISE YOU ALL (tocar madera) that I'll finish the journal tonight. I'm in the post-trip doldrums, I guess, and have little energy to "work" at home. I'll do it though and will post it's uploading date here. Thanks for your patience!

Saludos, MadridMan

#63411 - 05/02/03 05:22 AM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

For those who are bored on a Friday, I've just uploded the final 2 days of MadridMan\'s Madrid & Basque Region/País Vasco Trip Journal to the server. This one deals with my sad feelings and laments about how I should have done SOMETHING for "the family" to show my thanks and my delicious cochinillo (roasted suckling pig) lunch and then the walk through the drunken, pre-match Atlético de Madrid fans to the Parque de la Arganzuela.

Hopefully over the weekend I'll make ONE LAST upload with final thought, observations, negatives, and positives and that will do it.

My goodness, and I promised I'd keep this year's journal "scaled down". I think it's actually longer than almost any other year's journal! Enjoy!

Saludos, MadridMan smile

#63412 - 05/11/03 06:49 PM Re: Hello From Madrid!!!
juli Offline

Loc: Tarragona
Hey MM -

I havent logged in for a while, and as I catch up, I was delighted to find and read the beginning of your journal entries. This is in part because I do it too, except that I send mine via email, and post them to my website. Mine is called The Jilly Times . There are few people who are able to express... share? ... their experiences this way, be them travel related or otherwise.

Are you familiar with a website called www.livejournal.com ? A few friends of mine have invited me to start a journal there, but I haven't taken the time to learn HTML enough to present it the way I like. Lazy.....

Anyway, I love to watch your website grow and expand, it is such a delight to browse thru the postings, and listen to the musings and exclamations of others like me, like us, who are enchanted with this country!

Jillita

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments