Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#63082 - 11/22/02 01:36 PM Trip Report! Madrid and Southern Spain
adventura Offline

Loc: toronto
Hi All!

I went on a trip to Spain from Oct 31 to Nov 12.

Had a fabulous time. Spent majority of it roaming Southern Spain and the last 3 days in Madrid.

Upon arrival in Madrid, caught and AVE to Seville immediatly and spent 4 days there - with a day trip to Cordoba and toured it's famous Grand Mesquita (Mosque). Seville has a very laid back, romantic atmosphere to it. Toured the Real Alcazar, Giralda and hung out in it's Santa Justa District.

From Seville I took a bus to Granada and spent two days there. Sorry to dissappoint all the Madrid fanatics on this board by as I have a personal bias to mountains... Granada was my FAVORITE city smile . Early November is also a very good time to visit the Alhambra as the crowds were extremely light and thus I was able to stand often in rooms all by myself and really get a feel for the palace.

After Granada, I took a bus to La Linea and walked over to the Gibraltar border. Fantastic panoramic views of the Atlantic and Mediterranean sides of the strait can be seen at the top of the mountain and of course the famous barbary apes were roaming amongst the Rock tourists everywhere!

The next day I took a day trip to Morocco via a tour group in Gibraltar. They took us to the cities of Tanger and Tetouan ( a small town in the interior about a hours drive from Tanger). Moroccan rural country in the north was much greener than I expected- also very mountaneous and beautiful (sorry my mountain bias is showing again smile ). It in fact resembles Southern Spain considerably. Thus it's not surprising that the Moors were able settle in so comfortably in Andalucia during their reign in the middle ages!

We had our ferry ride back at 9pm at night. One of my most fond memories is standing on the outside deck of the ferry taking in the very black starry sky, while our ferry is somewhere in the middle of the Strait of Gibraltar heading back to Spain.

Upon return, took the train from Algeceris to Madrid. It was a 6.5hr train ride of which the first 4 hrs was spent slowly chugging through the Mountaneous regions of Andalucia to Cordoba (about 1/3 of the total distance to Madrid) Of course I LOVED this part of the train ride. smile It even had a stop in Ronda, thus I was able to get quick views of those famous white towns on the edge of mountain cliffs that Ronda is famous for. At Cordoba the engine of the Train was changed to an AVE, the the train just took off like the bullet and did the other 2/3 of the distance in a little over 2 hours!!! smile

I had a great time in Madrid,did all the major touristy spots via a city tour and visited the Prado, hung out in the Puerta De Sol Area a lot and shopped like mad in it's shopping district. I stayed at the Hotel Plaza Mayor and highly recommend it.

Took a half day trip to Toledo. Our hotel concierge recommended just going on one's own and taking the local buses that depart every 30mins for toledo all day for only 3.75 Euros. So I did that and spent a few hours on a self walking tour in the Old city section of Toledo. Highly recommend it, as compared to other cities, it still retains a medieval city feel. It was very easy to tour the entire city in about 3-4hrs on a leisurely pace.

The only somewhat negative thing to report is that my bag was *almost* snatched in a McDonalds on the Gran Via in Madrid! I was sitting in a quiet corner with my bag under the table on the side facing the wall and away from traffic. However a group of people came stood nearby and started the typical commotion to distract attention from a pickpocket. Luckily someone sitting near me saw what was really happening and stopped it when my bag was only pulled halfway from the table! phew!

Compared to the other cities, in Madrid, one has to be much much more vigilant against pickpocketors. Yes they exist all over Spain, but in talking to other tourists too, we all agreed that one has to hold onto their bags a little tighter in Madrid compared to the smaller cities.

But overall I didn't feel unsafe in Madrid at all once I learned to adjust to the higher pickpocketing threat.

Cheers,
Adventura

#63083 - 11/22/02 01:41 PM Re: Trip Report! Madrid and Southern Spain
Espe3 Offline

Sounds like you had a good time! Good for you! smile

About the mountain bias... you do realize that Madrid is SURROUNDED by mountains, and that Madrid is actually in a Mountain valley?! Right?

Maybe next time you can check out El Escorial, Segovia, Avila, Gredos and Navacerrada. smile Mountains galore! Even Skiing in the winter! (although its better to go north or south to Sierra Nevada for that!)

#63084 - 11/22/02 03:22 PM Re: Trip Report! Madrid and Southern Spain
adventura Offline

Loc: toronto
re: Mountains in Madrid...

When flying back to Canada out of the Madrid airport, I did notice Mountains in a distance and thought to myself "oh I had not idea there were mountains near Madrid". The Madrid city area is very flat.

This is no match for Granada- the city that is on the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas... One can see mountains without even trying to....

So sorry Granada still wins in my books... smile
Yes one day on my return, I'll explore the northern mountaneous regions!

Cheers,
Adventura

#63085 - 11/22/02 07:21 PM Re: Trip Report! Madrid and Southern Spain
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
If you like mountains and remote, you should visit La Alpujarra next time. smile My kids and I stayed in Bubión in a flat for $9 a person/night. The view from our patio was incredible. The night was starlit and peaceful and with out the sound of those blasted motos!! We did have chickens and the sound of a babbling brook near by. We dined on fresh trout wrapped in jamón and ate fresh cherries and bread. There is nothing to do there except relax or hike. They hiking is extreme because of the slope of the mountains. The Spanish spoken there is unique to that area!!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments