Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#63065 - 11/14/02 08:47 PM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Quintos,

I think you've answered our question with your last post. I have to admit it's kind of refreshing having someone who is younger whose whole outlook on life isn't an XBox game. You just have to learn to control your feelings and express them in the form of debate.

Thank you!

Wolf smile

#63066 - 11/15/02 01:16 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Espe3 Offline

I like Fernandos idea about solving the whole thing. But then again, you're talking to a person whose bright idea at 9 years old was telling her father that I thought it much more pratical that instead of fighting wars, governments set up a chess match! I just like the idea of solving problems in an intelligent manner. We have brains, we should use them, not our fists!

Kurt-I'm not even going to go there! Just exactly what do you think the EU is? Maybe I need to take another look at it! But I think although the EU and USA will NEVER be the SAME, that the EU- European UNION= European nations united... has many parallels with the US-United States-individual entities that are UNITED- (does The Union ring a bell?) The US wasn't always the US either! Besides, I was referring to Fernando's comment about an EU passport and how that would work...maybe you didn't get that, or you just skipped over postings and we lost you a bit.

As for Gibraltar... In the end, I don't think it really matters who takes it over, but SOMEBODY has to take responsibility for them, even if its shared... has anyone read about the mess off the coast of Galicia thanks to our dear neighbours on the Rock?!?! There is now an ship, loaded with petrolium, stranded, because Gibraltar wasn't responsible and didn't check the ship as it should have...and is going to cause one very nasty ecological mess, which also has the potential to hurt the sea faring community in Galicia, along with the mussel beds etc. if the nasty spill can't be avoided or cleaned up properly. Thanks Gibralter! You don't care about England or Spain, but let's see who will get you out of this mess! mad mad

Please keep in mind, that the media manipulates and is manipulated (by people, by governments...) so its always to keep things in perspective and take EVERYTHING you hear in the media with a grain of salt. Many of us on the board have the advantage of not only reading different papers, but in different languages and getting a better perspective on what it is you're reading. Even if you don't keep this in mind; no matter how a reporter tries to be impartial, they are people, and there are many, MANY factors that influence the way people perceive the same event in different ways. So no, no 1 newspaper is the big-brother all truthful end all to anything!

#63067 - 11/15/02 02:19 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Miguelito Offline

Yes, Espe, I have read about the mess. That's why I don't like the actual status of Gibraltar, they have special laws, they wash all the black money of Spanish 'bussiness man', they had there a broken nuclear reactor from a Brittish submarine for months, it's not that I care if they're Spanish or Brittish, but they're not good neighbourghs.

#63068 - 11/15/02 07:24 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Hmm... thought it may have missed something in the translation, so I did a search and came up with http://english2american.com/dictionary/cats/sex.html

It's quite funny most of it, but there are more than a couple of rude bits, so people with a nervous disposition and easily offended had better not click on the link! eek (How many are not going to do just that I wonder!) rolleyes

#63069 - 11/15/02 08:21 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Wolf Offline

Anchovy,

'Nuff said - rolleyes

Wolf (Working on his English to English dictionary. It's really a mess - Geez!)

#63070 - 11/15/02 08:51 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Agreed, Wolf! laugh Now, who the hell started this controversial thread...?? :p

#63071 - 11/15/02 09:35 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Espe3 Offline

I second that! And Mud-shark?! Someone please tell me, which english speaking American uses that and which states?!?!

One thing is to give explainations to slang in your own country, but to try to adapt and explain for others?! Not working well for this poor fellow I'm afraid!

Pass the English to English dictionary here! :p

Miguelito, when I said our dear neighbours, I was being sarcastic! :p Because events like these are only going to continue to happen, England and Spain need to do something about it! Again, it makes no difference really who takes it over, or if they do it together, but SOMETHING has to be done! There's no excuse for what happened! frown

#63072 - 11/15/02 10:04 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Is the mud shark any relation to the "land shark" that ate Gilda Radner?

BTW, Anchovy, isn't "tosser" the English equivalent of the Australian "wanker"? eek

Sorry...can't lurk without saying something...just ask each other, you know me! wink

Just for the record, I'm six years old and have a mom from Denmark and a Dad from England. I'm in my second year of medical residency at UC-Irvine...and I love my X-Box! :p Have a great day, Wolf! laugh

#63073 - 11/15/02 10:46 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Sorry if I offended anybody, espe. He didn't know the term and thought I'd spelt losser (sic) wrongly. I thought I'd kindly point out that I meant something a little stronger.

On hindsight maybe my actions were those of somebody his age and I hang my head in shame. :o

Some phrases do indeed have a different meaning depending on which side of the Atlantic you are on. When my wife required an early morning call in a Florida hotel, neither of us knew quite why everybody behind the desk was having difficulty keeping a straight face. All she did was ask if the man would knock her up in the morning? confused

Anyway, you're right, Cali, re the terminology. Next time I will just call him a wanker to avoid confusion. wink

#63074 - 11/15/02 12:07 PM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Wolf Offline

Anchovy,

So then - what happens when you go into a Malaga coffee shop and ask for Tea and strumpets?

Does it cost extra? wink

Cali,

May I borrow your XBox when you're taking your exams in surgery? laugh

Since I started this thread, maybe it's time I ask that it be closed. It's gotten a little far afield.

Wolf (Still appreciative for the points of view he got from others. I gotta think Fernando has the right approach. Give it all time. It does tend to allow things to heal.)

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments