Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#63015 - 11/10/02 06:13 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Espe,

"A link, direct or in-direct, dealing with the issue of sovereignty," only draws attention to the fact that one or both of the other two issues will be brought up every time the third surfaces. It's natural for this to happen, but in this case, probably moreso because they all deal with what people on both sides of all three issues indicate is sovereign lands. There's absolutely nothing in that statement that should make you feel the need to defend Spain and what the people believe is their rights to land, unless you're paranoid about the issue.

Like Anchovy kindly pointed out, there's a lot more gibraltarians showing interest in being part of Spain than there was forty years ago. From forty some to this new figure, that's progress. even if it's slow.

I like Fernando's approach. Negotiate. In time, Gibraltar may very well become Spanish soil again. If it takes 50 years, so what?

But "cutting them off from the world" by blocking the highways, etc.... isn't going to make that happen. If you want people to think your way, you do it through mutual respect, not by trying to create another "Berlin airlift," like the Soviet Union caused after WWII. That's not the diplomacy indulged by nations with respect for each other, who are considered friendlies. You only blockade the enemy, and that's what Gibraltarians perceive as the way Spain is handling this matter. Please note. This is not "my" point of view, but that of Gibraltarians.

Wolf

#63016 - 11/10/02 07:10 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Roe Offline

Loc: california
I would agree with wolf that there are many different sovereignty issues going on. Also wasn´t there some talk in the Spanish government about a referendum in West Sahara? Let´s just hope that none of them end up like Florida....

#63017 - 11/10/02 11:26 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Espe3 Offline

Oh lordy! Wolf, let it go already! I'm not paranoid about the issue, I was sharing my point of view relating to what you said. You already responded that I misinterpreted what you wrote, and although I didn't and still don't agree, I AM able to agree to disagree on that point and CAN discuss the rest of it. Now, if instead of moving on after what is obviously a lack of ability for us to communicate since you want to keep butting your head into a wall, you go ahead. I pass.

As for Gibraltar specificially, I agree, it doesn't matter if it takes 50 years or not... but there does need to be more shared responsibility and authority in governing the rock, to protect them, and spain (as in the case of drug smuggling, etc.). There needs to be more cooperation, hopefully someday, and soon.

#63018 - 11/10/02 11:38 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
I read once that the first Spanish democratic leader was told by the British that, "you can catch a lot more bees with honey than with vinegar."

I would add to that "a little humility goes a long way."

It looks as though the proud Spanish once again cannot accept the fact that they cannot dominate the world like they once did. (expect little north african colonized territories and islands).
rolleyes

#63019 - 11/10/02 11:51 AM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
toddy Offline

Quote:
Mr Caruana told cheering crowds: "Fellow Gibraltarians, today we have sent a clear message to the world. This is our homeland. We are a people with political rights that we will not give up."

laugh You go Mr. Caruana! I would fight along side this leader to protect Gibraltar any day! laugh

#63020 - 11/10/02 02:46 PM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
Mr Caruana can go to hell

#63021 - 11/10/02 02:56 PM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Interesting.

Spanish government has been negotiating this issue for 25 years, and has make proposoals of co-sovereignity in which UK and Spain would shared Gibraltar for 100 years from now, granting UK permission to use not only Gibraltar's seaport and airport but other spanish ports as Tarragona and Rota (as the US is doing right now). If that is not being patient then, what is?

Anyway, Ceuta and Melilla (which have been mentioned in this thread) are not colonies... yes, stop laughing boys. They are not colonies because have the same status as any other region in Spain, have an autonomy treaty, have senators and parlamentaries in Madrid Congreso de los Diputados and Senate. Moreover, they have never being moroccian, they were pirate ports which were conquered by spaniards and for the spanish kingfom in XVth century. And finally, Ceuta is 20 Km away from the Iberian Peninsula, and Melilla is almost as far as it is Menorca, and much near than the Canarian Islands.

Is Istambul greek for being in european soil instead of in african soil. No, it is turkish.

Fernando

#63022 - 11/10/02 03:17 PM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Quintos233 Offline

Loc: Southern California
When is Gibraltar going to hand over the sandy isthmus which the air port lies on back to Spain it was not included in the treaty of Utrech. It is leggaly part of Spain. Ok now lets get one thing straight here Gibraltar needs Spain,SPain does not need Gibraltar. Thats why they complain so much about border delays they want to be able to avoid paying Spanish taxes and at the same time enjoying the benefits of Spain. And this may sound a little paranoid but very possible the Gibs may claim more land or occupie more land if there are no Border Restrictions they would probably buy much of the land on the other side of the border are we supposed to stand by and let Spain become colonized I dont think so.. Gibraltar is a parasite.

#63023 - 11/10/02 06:57 PM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
toddy Offline

Quote:
Mr Caruana can go to hell
hmmmmm, very educated post, no? rolleyes

#63024 - 11/10/02 08:54 PM Re: 17,900 to 187, Wow!
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Why is it that whenever some far-flung corner of the world comes under British soverignty, they never want to give it up? Falklands, Hong Kong, and now Gibralter. All wished to stay under the Crown rather than revert to local control. Perhaps the 'colonised' see just how good they have it.

Rule Britanna!

Love, The USA

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments