Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62985 - 10/28/02 12:34 PM making international calls to US from Madrid
paloofo Offline

What is the best/cheapest way to make calls to the US, i.e., from public booths, phone centers, using credit cards. calling cards,

Sam

#62986 - 10/28/02 02:24 PM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
To the best of my knowledge, it's by buying a Fortune calling card at VIPs (the one near Fuente Neptuno, next to Starbucks. I couldn't find this particular card anywhere else in Madrid (and I looked), but if anyone knows, do tell.

They are available in 10, 20 and 30 euro options. Make sure you dial the second option, not the first one (the "super saver"), as you will get charged for the local call by the minute WHILE you are using up your long distance minutes.

You can use the card at any public phone or landline, but MAKE SURE you ask the hotel if they will charge you local minutes when making the call using the card.

Local relephone service is prohibitively expensive. With this card, you will actually get more minutes for long distance than for local calls!

If you are staying in someone's home, keep in mind that a call to a nearby town may be long distance.

I was told not to go to calling centers (locutorios) as they were supposedly notorious for bad characters, muggings, etc;

If anyone knows of a better/cheaper way to make long distance calls, please post. I'd like to know for future reference.

Churrito

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#62987 - 10/28/02 03:17 PM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
We have gone to the calling center down some stairs on the Puerta del Sol (the same side as Guerrilleros Shoes) and found it to be safe and inexpensive for calls to the US and Dominican Republic. This place also has internet access.

#62988 - 10/28/02 03:53 PM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
The calling cards are far and away your best bet. I never had any trouble finding them through out Spain - just go to the nearest tabacoo kiosk.

#62989 - 10/28/02 05:24 PM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
One of the best cards to use to call back to the USA is the EUROCITY card. You will get the best rate per minute. It´s only drawback is that it must be used in its entirety within 30 days afterwhich it becomes invalid. This is the card that I use all the time to call to the USA.

#62990 - 10/28/02 06:31 PM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by CaliBasco on 10-28-2002 at 05:42 PM]
------------------------------
Go to a phone booth and dial direct...I found that to be the cheapest lowest-hassle way to make a call. I usually talked as long as I needed with family, etc. for less than a euro or two, which was within my budget. I actually bought a 10 euro phone card and it lasted me through twelve days of calling home to California on a regular basis as well as checking in with friends in Valladolid. You can buy those at correos or at an estanco.

I'm sure there are cheaper ways, but really, international long distance from the "cabina" is not too bad from Spain.

--------------------
Sólo sé que no sé nada...

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#62991 - 10/28/02 06:31 PM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by Roe on 10-28-2002 at 05:58 PM]
------------------------------
I use www.losminutos.com . $.07/minute to the US. You have to sign up over the internet and give them the phone numbers that you will be calling from. Not ideal for the traveler, but if you´re going to be living in Spain it might be a good idea to check it out. The quality of the calls are excellent.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#62992 - 10/29/02 04:11 PM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
MM: what happened that made you have to post that thought again? confused I was checking this and thought I'd said something...and here it is. Thanks for getting that in.

#62993 - 10/29/02 05:23 PM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
rcae Offline

Loc: minneapolis, minnesota
just wanted to add my two cents..i have found platicard to be a great deal...for 5 euros you can call the states for up to two hours, while the 10 euro allots 4 hours... i live with a family while studying here and they let me use their phone;there doesnt seem to be a local charge for the call.. im not sure what kind of rate you get at a phone booth or calling center...you can buy these cards most anywhere that sells phone cards...i usually get mine at the sol metro station or the internet cafe on montera (not EasyEverything)between sol and gran via metro...

#62994 - 11/02/02 11:15 AM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
el viajero Offline

Years ago, when international calling was expensive, this was more of an issue. I remember schlepping seven blocks to a central Telefónica office back in the mid '80s every time I wanted to phone home to the States. Now, I just use the phone in my hotel room. Fortunately, the hostal where I usually stay doesn't add surcharges to phone calls (or at least they didn't used to... I don't want to give them any ideas!)

rcae wrote:
Quote:
i usually get mine at the sol metro station or the internet cafe on montera (not EasyEverything)between sol and gran via metro...
There's another internet shop on Montera? How did I miss that? smile

#62995 - 11/09/02 07:18 PM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
I am a EUROCITY fan, also. 120 minutes for €6 to either the States or to W. Europe. Anytime and from any phone. You dial the 900 number, enter the secret code, dial the number and go. As Chica indicated, the only drawback is that you have to use the card within 30 days of first use. An excellent value. Not all kioskos carry it.

#62996 - 11/19/02 07:09 AM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
carmendeespana Offline

Loc: Madrid
You can purchase a pre-payment card in any "estanco" as madridmanjim says. But those are Telefonica cards and they will only work at Telefonica payphones.

There is a place in C/ Montera, where you can get also pre-payment cards through another company. Those don´t come with a chip to be inserted in the payphone, but have a personal code to activate them and then you dial a loooooooooong number to access that company and call your family.

Those are really cheap but I remember using them once and not getting a really good connection.

#62997 - 11/22/02 07:59 PM Re: making international calls to US from Madrid
madridmanjim Offline

Loc: Northern Spain
I only mention EUROCITY because it is the cheapest card I have found. As I indicated in my previous note, it can be used on any phone and used anytime. Period. Dial the toll-free number and the "secret code" and then dial up the number. Simple. 120 minutes for €6. Only rarely have I ever had problems with line quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments