Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#62932 - 11/02/02 05:21 AM Re: halloween
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Quote:
I can imagine children in the cities of Spain, going door to door[...] hoping everyone will come down 4-6 flights of stairs to give children candy and admire their costumes.
Really, can you imagine?. eek I can't!! It's not a Spanish tradition at all. You won't see them doing such things without the owners of the houses staring at them with this face confused

There are Halloween parties in pubs and clubs but that's because they want to take advantage of the commercial part of the celebration (is there another part?). And we follow it because it's a excuse to go out and have fun laugh

#62933 - 11/02/02 06:26 AM Re: halloween
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
With each year that passes, we hear a lot more about Halloween, and a lot less about Don Juan Tenorio by Zorrilla this time of year!!!

#62934 - 11/02/02 10:30 AM Re: halloween
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Please watch this drawing made by Antonio Mingote (a great great humourist) in the website of ABC: http://www.abc.es/contenidos/data/hoy/humor/opi01.jpg

Funny laugh

#62935 - 11/02/02 03:57 PM Re: halloween
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Very surprising... yesterday I saw a lot of kids dressed for halloween in Madrid, ¡and also asking from door to door for candies!

Don't be too surprised. If there are trick-or-treaters in Burgos, there EVERYWHERE in Spain. I disagree with MM on marketing Halloween and any other holiday. I would much rather business market fiestas than a stupid big car. wink

#62936 - 11/04/02 03:53 AM Re: halloween
aine Offline

Loc: bristol, england
Hi everyone. Had a really great weekend. Party was such fun- in the end we went as leprechauns- it took a bit of effort but we ended up lookin quite cool. Was suprised at how many nationalities we had, and that the majority dressed up- Spaniards included.Those who tried to buy things for their costumes last minute found that the shps had been bought out- suppose its just an excuse to party. We contemplated trick or treatin but with reaction of a spanish friend when we told him "in Spain we call that begging" eek and with the added fact that we can´t quite pass for cute children, we thought we´d give it a miss.
My only regret was that I didn´t make it to mass, again rolleyes , which I had intended to do, for All souls.
Aine

#62937 - 11/04/02 12:11 PM Re: halloween
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
The last time I was in Spain for Halloween was 1995. In our urbanizacion the kids learned about Halloween in their English classes in school. They loved the idea, so they'd hang up a sign in the neighborhood grocery store warning all the "vecinos" to buy lots of candy for Oct. 31, or else! Then they'd ring doorbells and say "Happy Halloween" in very strong accents, and hold out their hands for candy. They were all dressed as gruesome creatures - I guess that's what they were taught. Most people gave them coins, because they didn't know what else to do. At my house they got a lesson (No se dice Happy Halloween - se dice Trick or Treat) and a handful of candy. They looked uncomfortable about the lesson, but loved the candy, spread the word, and all the neighborhood kids ended up at our house! laugh It was fun, and I liked the idea that the kids were learning about holidays in other countries, and were trying to speak some of the English they were taught in school.

#62938 - 11/04/02 04:30 PM Re: halloween
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
As an LDS missionary years ago, Halloween was the only time we were guaranteed not to have every door slammed in our face...and everyone seemed to like our authentic-looking white shirt/tie/name tag costumes! ¡Sííííííííí! wink

#62939 - 11/04/02 04:36 PM Re: halloween
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Reading your post, Diana, made me smile and think of my good friend who lives in a small town in Alicante. She has an small English school, where she teaches many of the town's children. She has been celebrating halloween and trick or treating with her students for many years now, and the whole town is prepared for the kids. This year I sent them a bunch of plastic fangs and they made vampire costumes out of black garbage bags. She told me it was a hit. The kids had a blast and it was a real success. They were trick or treating for an hour and a half!!

I still think it is hysterical to imagine...a small town in Spain celebrating Halloween. laugh

#62940 - 11/04/02 08:32 PM Re: halloween
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
If we can celebrate los tres reyes magos, Spain can celebrate Halloween laugh

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments