MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#62768 - 10/04/02 09:14 AM Re: Batasuna
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Fernando your last post was a master piece! I hope more people come to understand the race based propoganda of PNV. I believe the more PNV opens it bigoted mouth, the more they resemble "those kids with the gasoline". Where else in the world have we heard radical politicians defend their right to statehood based on ethinic myths? Serbia and nazi-Germany come to mind.

Thanks Fernando for your well researched posts!

#62769 - 10/04/02 10:47 AM Re: Batasuna
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Well thought out and well written, Fernando!

#62770 - 10/04/02 09:22 PM Re: Batasuna
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Toddy: Carrot and stick. Treat the Basques like they were little children. Punish them, then hand them a piece of candy for being good little girls and boys, by doing exactly what the Madrid government tells them to do. Talk about ways to stop violence, not create more terrorism. Any Basque who thinks the carrot & stick is being used would make you eat the stick and shove the carrot --- 'nuff said.

Supporters of outlawing Batasuna: Cut off all avenues of negotiations with the Basques. Deny them the right to protest in the political forum, by outlawing their most vocal advocates because they failed to follow Madrid's specific orders. Then tell the moderate advocates they are next, if they don't do what they are told by the federal government. Tell them, "Behave or else!"

What's wrong with that picture? How does the bloodshed end if you can't talk? How do you call yourself a democracy when you are free to do and say what you want, as long as it isn't against the government holding office?

This "hard-line approach" isn't directed at ETA, it's directed at all Basques. It can't be hidden behind a smoke screen that says it's only against ETA and Batasuna. Too many anti-Basque sentiments crop up in what's said.

I find it hard to believe anyone with a shred of common sense would figure that the present situation will lend itself to eliminating ETA, eliminate the bombings, or get the people of Basque Country to buy into anything that comes out of Madrid.

Brain-washed since childhood indeed. Make the whole thing sound exactly like al-Qaeda and the world will buy the rhetoric. If talking idealism, patriotism, and fundamental human rights at a kitchen table is brain-washing, almost everyone is guilty of doing it. Even teachers.

All you have to do is twist the wording to your own choosing, then apply it. Pick out something heinous to compare with even though there's no real comparison there. Why not? It worked for the Nazis, didn't it?

Wolf, come back to political reality. I do not know of any war that did not involve propoganda. Please, Wolf, the first step in a war is to demonize the enemy.
The bloodshed ends, just like with Iraq, when the enemy loses the war.
Simply put, but by utilizing ALL the aspects of war, from propganda, to pay-offs, you can STOP Basque nationalistic terrorism.
Come on Wolf, you are a student of Real World History, no.

It's overtime everbody. Spanish gente of ALL the regions of Spain, start with challenging the Basques in the media and every other avenue to protest parade the violence of the Basques.
Step one.......... wink

#62771 - 10/04/02 09:42 PM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Not the basques toddy wink The violent and antidemocratic basques. There are hundreds of thousands basques who don't share natioalist ideology (see for example the website of Unidad Alavesa , a basque political party).

Fernando

#62772 - 10/05/02 12:59 AM Re: Batasuna
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
PIM: Why don't you come on over to our next family reunion, and I'll show you who the full-blooded Basques are. Sure there are those who, as you put it, are "mixed". I wasn't referring to that, as I'm sure our amigo Arzalluz in the PNV wasn't either.

I'm simply stating that, completely outside of any xenophobic or nationalistic thought of the PNV, those individuals who are 100% Basque by heritage have a few distinguishing characteristics that set them apart not just from Castellanos and Franks but from the rest of the world at large.

Anyone who doesn't notice this is most likely visually impaired or the propaganda minister for the PP.

CaliBasco [Who is counting the hours before this thread is not only closed but when this particular topic is no longer allowed to be discussed on this board...and who also thinks it too bad that this is the press that Basques get, that the current closed-mindedness of the PP will never allow for any dialogue between the ruling party and extreme Basque nationalists, and that I'm not living in Euskadi right now chomping on a txistorra and txilindrón! mad ]

#62773 - 10/05/02 05:04 AM Re: Batasuna
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Toddy,

It's interesting that the first thing you relate to is a "war against the Basques." It's exactly what I was pointing out. Since you've obviously read the press on the issues, and listened to Fernando, you formulated your opinion based on everything you've heard, and decided the "Spanish government is at war against the Basques." Since you're married to a Spanish lady (correct me if I'm wrong on this.) you're also effected by her beliefs.

This "kill them all and let God sort them out" mindset is what inflames the situation. When people take things out of text, it makes matters worse. Since the press, and public opinion in Spain, is one-sided, the Basques always end up the fall guy.

I agree with CaliBasco. This thread is going nowhere. It can't. Cut it off MadridMan.

Wolf

#62774 - 10/05/02 07:35 AM Re: Batasuna
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi!
I didn't want to enter much in this topic because unfortunately my English isn't good enough to clearly express my thought on this problem to someone who can read them and knows nothing about ETA or Batasuna. In addition to this, I totally agree with Fernando and Pim's ideas, as 95% of the Spanish population does.
Shawn, smile I'm happy to see how 10 months of inmersion in the Spanish reality, talking to real people who are everyday bearing this problem are more convincing than all the ETA international propaganda (I have to admit they have an esplendid propaganda network outside of Spain that justifies their acts, inside Spain they can't fool anyone).

Wolf, the only one who is saying we equal all Basques to terrorists is you. It'd be like saying all muslims are Al Qaeda members, and we know that isn't true. Funny to see how those people who talk about horrible DAILY Spanish media live outside of Spain confused

Calibasco, are you implying 100% breed Basques can be distinguish from any other European? Did they come from outter space? I know Aranas and Bengoecheas you couldn't tell if they were basques or not, the same way yoy can see how many ETA members are called López, García and Martínez.

#62775 - 10/05/02 08:18 AM Re: Batasuna
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Natalia,

Clap, clap, clap,....!
I totally agree, this thread is showing the incredible level of misinformation that people outside this country get about the whole ETA situation!, and Shawn's experience is a great example.

I confess that this week I've been very close to deciding to forget about Madridman's message board for good, since when reading certain careless opinions that border absurdity, about an issue so painful for every Spaniard as this, I've gotten a horrible feeling of brokenheartedness(does that word even exist¿? rolleyes ). You can't imagine what it feels like to realize the misconception that foreign Spain-lovers (imagine if they weren't! eek ) have on such an awful topic.
Luckily, in a way, I have many American friends living here and that keep explaining to me that the problem with foreigners' wrong ideas is clearly that they only have access to propagandistic non-sense.

And....if I were to quit Madridman, I wouldn't know so many great people like the ones I went out partying last night laugh , OR, the ones I'll surely meet tonight wink !
(So I guess is worth it to just go on and TRY to ignore this topic from now on)

#62776 - 10/05/02 09:00 AM Re: Batasuna
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Natalia and Paloma, I fully agree with you. It is interesting to see how the ETA propaganda works, no matter that they have constantly menaced dozens of their own basque journalists (Carmen Gurruchaga, Isabel San Sebastián, Iñaki Gabilondo,...) and they have tried to killed them various times. They have managed to convince international press how romantic the ETA fight is, and we still have to see how they call ETA as a basque separatist group.

And it is also interesting how people prefer to believe this propaganda than the things said by a democratic government, which they consider as a fascist one who is trying to somekind exterminate the basques.

Until all these changes, I will continue to have mates as I had in the school, which were basques who had fleed from the forced imposition of euskera by the nationalist basque government, or people who just couldn't stand the lack of freedom to talk about politics.

I will continue to give support to my aunt and my cousins there so that they can stand it. Oh sorry... they aren't full blooded basques, so I guess they aren't basques at all... It should be one of those extrange cases in which basques and the rest of spaniards have merged during 3000 years of common history...

Fernando

#62777 - 10/05/02 10:29 AM Re: Batasuna
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Natalia, Paloma and Fernando -

One more round of clap - clap - claps!!! What those of us not living in Spain need to realize is that a hefty percentage of what we know about the Basque vs. ETA vs. approval or non-approval of the PP comes from what we read, hear, and see in the media. And the media, as we all know, can be and is influenced by sources - no matter how much investigation goes into reporting it is damn near impossible to be 100% objective and impartial.

There were comments made about propoganda in the last few posts - what we need to realize is that there are varying levels of propoganda. The flat-out propoganda and a more subtle form that influences the media.

And, in the end, like Shawn - no-one really knows and understands a situation until they are living in it. I think all of us not in Spain owe a huge thank-you to those in Spain who are willing to take the time to share their thoughts and insights with us.

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments