Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#62660 - 08/25/02 08:50 PM any Bostonians?
juli Offline

Loc: Tarragona
Boy! it's message boards like this that justify my passion for Spain!! So, I see the LA crowd and the NY crowd.

How about any Bostonians?

Jill

#62661 - 08/31/02 02:03 PM Re: any Bostonians?
Sarita Offline

Loc: Sevilla
Hola Jill~
Another fellow Bostonian/Espanola de corazon here!

I read your profile that linked to your website but was not able to link to your resume. I am interested in knowing more about your translation services so feel free to email me or respond to me via this forum!

My husband is from Sevilla and we both do some translating on the side when it is available; we get lots of practice at our jobs where we speak both castellano and ingles every day.

On another note--hello to everyone on the madridman.com forums! I've just joined--where have I been? I am a fellow hispanofilia, having lived in Sevilla for 2 years total in college and now married to a sevillano. We are planning on moving back to Sevilla sometime in the next couple of years. I am forever looking for job connections in Sevilla.....any ideas anyone? I'll post under separate cover in the "Working in Spain" category. Luckily I am "legally" married to a Spaniard, so my job search won't be restricted by immigration issues.

Jill, espero poder hablar mas contigo! Vivimos en Salem, MA asi que no estamos muy lejos....

Besos y Saludos a todos los del Forum!

Sarita smile

#62662 - 09/01/02 08:37 PM Re: any Bostonians?
juli Offline

Sarita -

How wonderful to receive your message and learn that you live so nearby! My first time to Spain was Junior year abroad, and it was in Sevilla for 5 months, then in Salamanca for another month. I had a month in between to travel and visit my family who came to visit. I enjoyed Sevilla immensely, especially the river, and the people! I will indeed keep in touch.

Jillita

#62663 - 09/01/02 09:38 PM Re: any Bostonians?
Sarita Offline

Jillita-
What program did you study with? I was at Centro Norteamericano on C/ Harinas in El Arenal for Fall 98 and Fall 99 (and summer and breaks in between.......)

The rio is also one of my favorite part of Sevilla! Sitting and having a tinto de verano or a cafe at Cafe La Prensa on Calle Betis.......some of my best memories.

Where did you live while studing there? My first year I was in Nervion and my second year in Triana. My husband's family lives on San Jacinto.

We certainly do need to stay in touch....silly that we are chatting online considering we are about 30 minutes away! But this site is great....so many people with a similar love for Spain.

Saludos!

Sarita

#62664 - 09/02/02 01:38 AM Re: any Bostonians?
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
Hey Boston people:

Us Yankees will travel up north to join you for an evening or two...keep us informed.

Rc

#62665 - 09/02/02 11:42 AM Re: any Bostonians?
juli Offline

Hey JoeSambuca -

A Boston reunion would be very chevere, and if it doesn't happen in the next 4 weeks, then I'll have to catch you in Spain until my return. Of course, that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be one. We've got some terrific tapas restaurants up here! Yum.

Woohoo! I'm off to study in Tarragona, a masters in translation for 2 years, very excited. I'm not sure, but am hoping to make it to the Oct 5 Madrid marcha... it's up in the air now b/c I arrive 4 days earlier. Anyone wanna join me in exploring the scene in Barcelona?

Hey Sarita -

I was living in Triana too, loved it! I could get to anywhere and I wasn't in the middle of town, and you could get to the river easily. It was great! I lived on the corner of c/ Evangelista.

The school was contracted as an exchange thru the CIEE (of course), it was called Centro, or Univ. Menendez y Pelayo, and had an office located in Univ. de Sevilla. For one of my history classes, I had to trek all the way over to the ciencias building near the train station. What a schlep!

Jillita

#62666 - 09/06/02 12:34 AM Re: any Bostonians?
MAM Offline

Loc: Boston/N.Y.C.
Hey. I saw the prompt looking for Bostonians and was thinking about responding. Then saw that Jillita is writing from Brookline, my hometown and had to post right away. I have actually just moved to Manhattan to study but still call Boston my home. I just got back from Spain a couple of weeks ago. I spent some of my time in Sevilla (¡Que Bonita!). I am in short enamored with the country. Leaving was painful and could only be done knowing I would be back as soon as possible. Have you lived in Brookline long Jillita? i also have a question about Sevilla. Is it ever bustling with people? When I went it seemed that nearly ALL the Spaniards were away. It was an oven at the time.
Adios

#62667 - 09/06/02 08:36 AM Re: any Bostonians?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Hello MAM! Sevilla is closed in August!! Most people head for the coast, not them thar hills! I spent a Thursday night there this August and it was pretty quiet. I actually went to see the football, rather than sightseeing, but was surprised that it wasn't as hot as normal - this was 10th August. The students aren't about either and they give the place a buzz on an evening in the bars.

Although I love Spain, I am hankering to get back to Boston, where my wife and I spent four nights a couple of years ago. Great city!! We stayed one night in a guest house in Brookline. That's where the "T" is above ground? I might have a bit further to travel to the reunion but count me in.... loteria primitiva permitting! rolleyes

#62668 - 09/06/02 12:04 PM Re: any Bostonians?
MAM Offline

Yes Brookline is where the T goes above ground. I love Boston too, though it was time for a change of pace. Manhattan is amazing to live in. The amount of great things to do... Next on my agenda is to try out all of the great Spanish restaurants. There are several near me in the Village. They all advertise killer sangria. Do you live in Andalusia? -MAM

#62669 - 09/06/02 04:04 PM Re: any Bostonians?
josie Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
So is there going to be a MM Boston area get-together? I'm not from Boston, so normally I wouldn't take an interest in this particular topic, but I'm going to be visiting my daughter there in the middle of Oct, so...if you're going to meet for dinner, would you mind doing it then so I could come too? laugh

josie
in Minnesota, missing España

#62670 - 09/06/02 08:05 PM Re: any Bostonians?
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Cooter is a good southern boy who currently has the misfortune to suffer the slings and arrows of northern opression, climactic, interpersonal,and automobilistic, in this so-called "hub."

#62671 - 09/07/02 05:46 PM Re: any Bostonians?
MAM Offline

Would you care to explain. -MAM

#62672 - 09/07/02 06:07 PM Re: any Bostonians?
juli Offline

Hey wow -

All of these postings, I just figured there weren't many Bostonians. Or I should say Brooklinites. I have called Brokline home for a long, long time, but wasn't born here. Try 27 years, including time at college and traveling. You know, many pp say that northerner's are not warm people, very stifled and such.. I must be different, 'cuz I am not that way, I think...

As Anchovy says, Sevilla is rather dormant in the month of August, and it's usually scorching hot, like 110 degrees average. Everyone escapes tothe chalet in the countryside. I hear it's cooler this summer. I haven't been to Southern Spain in 2 years, and I tend to enjoy the northern cities. Last time, I spent a few days getting to know Cordoba and loved it! Tried Marbella too, but it was May, and we found only clouds and cool breezes. frown

This time, I'll be studying in Tarragona, haven't decided whether I'll live there or in Barcelona. Three weeks and counting, yay! wink Such a joy to find others that are as enchanted with Spain as I am, and looking forward to meeting some of you.

On the reunion front, you all might just have to have a big party at Tapeo's on Newbury St. or Dali near Inman Square, both outstanding tapas restaurants. There's a tasty one in Brookline at the first T stop above ground on the "C" green line. The T stop is called St. Mary's Stop, and the restaurant is a small place called Taberna de Haro. Outstanding!! I would advise arranging it ahead of time, as it is small, or go somewhere else. The only other one I know of is called Tasca, on Commonwealth Ave, a bigger space, it's on the "B" line.

Since I'm leaving in a few weeks, I want a full report! Details!

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, Sevilla is a hopping town during the school year. Hopping!! I did some very nice partying when I studied there, and the people are very hospitable, friendly.

YOu should go sometime for La Feria in April. Check the calendar, but it is a blast!

Jill laugh

#62673 - 09/07/02 08:39 PM Re: any Bostonians?
MAM Offline

Some people I know from Spain living in Brookline say they like Tasca the best of the three you mentioned. I've been to the others but not Tasca. -MAM

#62674 - 09/08/02 09:35 AM Re: any Bostonians?
Sarita Offline

Hi guys,
Just last week we were talking about Boston's tapas restaurants on another thread. I think it's under Classifieds & Personals, subject is Boston Madridman Dinner Group or something like that. Any of you ever been to Iruña in Somerville? I've also been dying to try Taberna de Haro. I thought Tapeo on Newbury was outrageously expensive but it IS Newbury! I'd love to take my husband out for gambas al ajillo for our anniversary next week. Maybe we'll try Taberna! I'd love to meet up with the Madridman Boston group at some point. Keep me informed if you guys plan anything! Looks like we'll miss Jillita as she is off to España. We're going for Navidades and Fin de Año this year. Anyone seen any good flights, preferably BOS-London(we always have to switch airports-such a pain!)-SVQ?
Hope everyone is enjoying the lovely weather in Boston this weekend! It's almost reminiscent of a crisp fall day in Andalucia.

Saludos!
Sarita laugh

#62675 - 09/08/02 06:56 PM Re: any Bostonians?
MAM Offline

I flew British Airlines not long ago, Bos-London-Madrid. It was the best fare I could find out there. -MAM

#62676 - 09/09/02 10:03 AM Re: any Bostonians?
josie Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
Anyone been to a restaurant in Central Square called Cuchi Cuchi? I haven't seen it mentioned by any of you Boston MM members. My daughter was there about 3 months ago, said she enjoyed it and would go again. Besides the Spanish food she said there are some Brazilian and Argentinian items on the menu. We're hoping to check it out when I visit in Oct.

josie

#62677 - 09/13/02 08:31 PM Re: any Bostonians?
juli Offline

Hey Bostonians -

Anyone up for a glass of wine sometime in the next two weeks? A mini-reunion...

Ideas?

#62678 - 09/14/02 11:21 AM Re: any Bostonians?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Come up with a couple of dates that work for you and we can go from there ....

#62679 - 09/16/02 09:00 PM Re: any Bostonians?
juli Offline

I could do Tues 24th, Thurs 26th, Sat 28th. This wkend is uncertain, as I have some plans in the works. If it falls thru, I'll be free for Sat 21st.

Jill

#62680 - 09/17/02 12:15 AM Re: any Bostonians?
MAM Offline

A quick question Jillita, did you go to BHS? You said you lived in Brookline for 27 years. Just curious because I went there. -MAM

#62681 - 09/17/02 09:06 AM Re: any Bostonians?
juli Offline

Yes, I went to BHS, graduated 1988. What year did you graduate?

Jill

#62682 - 09/23/02 09:24 AM Re: any Bostonians?
juli Offline

It looks like Sat, the 28th would be my option.

I hope you guys do coordinate a Boston reunion. I saw another link from last year under a different heading talking about gathering in Boston.

Jill

#62683 - 09/23/02 11:09 PM Re: any Bostonians?
Lipstique Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
Just to add to the Boston contingent, may I invite myself to this party? I live in Framingham, but I work in Boston. Don't want to tilt the age scale too far -- I graduated from high school in 1976, that makes me 44.

Friday or Saturday night, September 27th or 28th work for me, otherwise, I won't be able to join in until the weekend after Columbus Day. But, I'll be in NYC for Columbus Day weekend, and would be happy to meet up with anyone there during the weekend.

#62684 - 09/25/02 06:18 PM Re: any Bostonians?
Sarita Offline

Sorry guys...I´m going to NYC this weekend for a bachelorette party! I hope we can figure something out soon!

Saludos,
Sarita wink

#62685 - 09/25/02 06:21 PM Re: any Bostonians?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
One more this weekend is bad - but lets keep trying!!!

#62686 - 09/27/02 04:14 PM Re: any Bostonians?
juli Offline

Hey Boston crowd! Good luck with the organizing. If I had been more so, I would have set a definitive date, but there's too much going on.

Go for late October, guys, if you get into November, it'll be crunch time for the holidays, and if your family is anything like mine, there's 5 birthdays in December! Honestly!

I'll get to meet you all sooner or later,
Jill

#62687 - 11/21/02 10:08 PM Re: any Bostonians?
Bobster Offline

Loc: New York, NY
I just posted a message on another thread- I am going to be in Boston next week and the last couple weeks in December (I live near NYC and spend every weekend there, it's so amazing). I went to BU, and spent 3 spectacular years in Boston (I went to Madrid my junior year) and graduated this May. I go back about once a month or so because I have a lot of friends in the area still.

So, next week or end of December anyone?

~ Bobby

"To be is to do." -- Voltaire.

"Do be do be do." -- Frank Sinatra

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments